Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 09:27 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,015,297 times

Advertisements

I wear a 34DDD. Since it's an unusual size, buying bras can be pricey. At the cheapest end, I've found comfortable bras on sale for $95 at Saks or well over $150 at Nordstrom's. High end retailers have had them for $300... that's a bit much.

Online, JC Penney has some over $50 & I've found a few on other sites... many are too constrictive or tight feeling... no stretch in the straps, so they make my back/shoulders hurt. La Sensa had some, but they had a lot of padding... Jayzuz, as a DDD, I bloody well don't need padding. So far, the most comfortable bras have been minimizer bras. I need underwire, but I'm not a pinup... don't want to add more than I already have, so hold the push-up, padding please.

If I say affordable is under $100, can anyone help me in finding a place to buy a comfy bra? Sadly, I've found a few wonderful ones, but because I didn't take care to note the manufacturer before the label faded in washing, I cannot locate them... they also might be a discontinued style.

Brick & mortar or online... anyone find a good supplier? I'd be most grateful. Most of the bras I have are too loose or tight & I have the urge to rip them off & toss them outta the sunroof every bloody single day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 09:37 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,525,481 times
I wouldn't consider 34DDD all that unusual of a size. There are lots of ladies like me with "bigger" problems that will probably chime in on this thread. I found the size and brand that works best for me, and regularly pay under $25 for them new off ebay. I think the sticker price is $60 or so.

I'll be the first to market with the most important question -- are you truly sure you're wearing the correct size? There is so much bad advice about bra sizing out there (both in stores and on the internet) that many women are wearing the wrong size. As the band goes down, the cup size goes up. The same person might be able to wear a 36GG or a 34I, for instance.

Measure around your rib cage under your breasts. Round up to the next even number to find your band size. If you're 32.5", you're probably best off in a 34 band bra. To find your cup size, measure around the fullest part of your breasts while wearing a well-fitting bra. Each inch of difference is an additional cup size up (i.e. 1" is an A, 2" is a B...). https://www.barenecessities.com/feat...ame=fit_sizing

Old 08-05-2017, 09:56 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,903,980 times
My problem isn't as "big" as yours

I do have a hard time finding off the shelf bras as a 34DD though. They seem to assume if you are a DD cup, then you must have at least a 40 chest--not so!

I hate paying a lot of $$$ for a bra because even with the more spendy ones, they don't hold up.

I have had a lot of luck with this place. They also send you discount offers all of the time once you order from them:

https://www.freshpair.com/

Old 08-05-2017, 10:02 PM

130,561 posts, read 12,152,083 times
I used to use Avenue.com

disregard my post, as the DDD don't seem to start till 40

Old 08-05-2017, 10:13 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,629,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I wouldn't consider 34DDD all that unusual of a size.

Oh, I think it's probably hard to find. I went from a C to a DD, then DDD from breastfeeding two kids, and the band sizing for DDD cups often starts at 38.

All my bras since 2015 have come from maternity stores, which do a buy 3, get one free bundling deal, and are usually $25-$60, depending on the type of bra (sleep bras, sports bras being cheaper, etc.)

Old 08-05-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I wouldn't consider 34DDD all that unusual of a size.
Since 34DDD can virtually never be found in retail outlets, that would be considered an unusual size by me. I have to buy online, unless I visit Nordstrom's, Saks 5th Ave or Neiman Marcus & pay over $150 per bra.

Quote:
... are you truly sure you're wearing the correct size? There is so much bad advice about bra sizing out there (both in stores and on the internet) that many women are wearing the wrong size. As the band goes down, the cup size goes up. The same person might be able to wear a 36GG or a 34I, for instance.
Sure, I was one of the above "ill fitted" until 2010. I was sized 34DDD in a 2-hr fitting at Neiman's. I'll forever be grateful. Until then, I thought I was a 36D for some bloody odd reason... forever pulling & tugging at my ill fitting bra... the new size fits me fine.

I don't recommend measuring for oneself... go for a fitting. I can measure & get different #'s each time. A woman who had classes in how to measure was the trick for me.

Still, that's all an aside... I know my size... I was asking for a retailer.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
My problem isn't as "big" as yours
LOL, Marie, haha. Not much visually different between a D, DD & DDD, imho, but that's funny. Believe me, I was more than stupendously surprised at being "diagnosed" a DDD, when I thought I was a D all those years... & finding out I was 34 (33 really) rather than 36. I tugged at my bra forever & a day & never found one that was comfortable until I hit age 40 & finally had a fitting! No kidding! I thought the suggestion of having a fitting was a sales tactic. So not true!

Quote:
I have had a lot of luck with this place. They also send you discount offers all of the time once you order from them:

https://www.freshpair.com/
Perfect, thank you so much. I will check them out.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:29 PM

Being fitted is great...but it's far from exact. I've been measured at different sizes, depending on what store is doing the measuring, and even in the same store, by different associates.

I've also found that, as with many clothes, sizes are inconsistent between designs, brands, and styles. A 40DD in one bra may fit like a 38DDD in another.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Oh, I think it's probably hard to find. I went from a C to a DD, then DDD from breastfeeding two kids, and the band sizing for DDD cups often starts at 38.

All my bras since 2015 have come from maternity stores, which do a buy 3, get one free bundling deal, and are usually $25-$60, depending on the type of bra (sleep bras, sports bras being cheaper, etc.)
How interesting, Tabula... that's why I mentioned they were hard to find in a 34. I'm really 33, but 32 is usually too tight & 34 is often too loose. But, I guess many women have problems being in-between cup or band sizes. I guess that's why women sewed years ago... my mum used to make her own bras. I haven't the patience or acumen.

I just want to find something cheaper than $300.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:35 PM

Everything is hard to find now, because sizing is so inexact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty