Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 06:45 AM

4,965 posts, read 3,325,313 times

Advertisements

In the 80's Shalimar by Guerlain, long ago before they reformulated it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 08:18 AM

1,112 posts, read 886,258 times
White Diamonds.....back in the 90's when magazines had insert cards with cologne-perfume samples..I wiped one on my neck and then went out with my then-boyfriend...now husband. He loved WDiamonds and replenishes my stock to this day!

Mae

Old 07-10-2017, 08:21 AM

1,112 posts, read 886,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
Dolce and Gabbana Light Blue - for YEARS!

(Edited to add: I went back thru the thread and read the posts - and was reminded of my Opium days. I cannot stand the smell of it anymore. As i aged, perfumes make me sick. So this scent is very light, and is OK for the work place also. I used to love another one back then that smelled kind of like grape - cant remember the name! When i'm not wearing Light Blue, i wear the Muslim Oils (that's what we call them) - with scents like Nag Champa or Pachouli. Strong perfumes close my throat up any more!) If you like to try fun scents, check out Demeter. You can get little sample bottles of some of their really cool scents - from Pizza to Kitten Fur lol)
POISON...smelled like Raid...ugh! I used to love Drakkar on a former boyfriend. I think that I dated him longer than I should have because he smelled sooo good! Lol!

Mae

Old 07-10-2017, 10:45 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,244,957 times
I was walking thru my local grocery store a couple of years ago and a woman passed me. I stopped her and said, what are you wearing, is wonderful! She said Eternity - Calvin Klein.

So I got some. And I really like it. Flowery.

So one day I spritzed some on, and went grocery shopping. Same aisle. A woman passed me. She came back, she said "what are you wearings, its wonderful". I had to laugh.

If I run out of that, I have a back up bottle of Estee Lauder's Beautiful. I find it stronger than Eternity, so I have to be careful not to overdo.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:16 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,336,875 times
Someone was telling me that the formulations are not the same as they once were. Perfumers are using manufactured oils now where they use to use the genuine thing.

I used to wear Chloe, Ralph Lauren, Beautiful, Versace, Tommy Bahama and a few others, usually in a blue bottle and a light scent, nothing too sweet. As I started to have a bad breathing reaction to certain scents I have only found Cool Water for Women to not bother me and I just use a tiny bit on my wrists. Anything that smells like vanilla makes me want to gag. It's weird how our body chemistry and tolerance for certain smells changes as we get older.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:33 AM

20,413 posts, read 14,698,234 times
I dislike most commercial perfumes or colognes, especially if they are strong. And I suspect many wearers don't realize how strong they really are. I often socially hug my friends and I once hugged a man at a party while saying goodbye to everyone, and the horrid stink of his cologne got ON ME. Oh, how horrid, how gross that was. All the way home smelling it. Bleh.

I often get complimented on my scent. I use Victoria's Secret Vanilla Lace body spray. But I suspect that my leave in hair conditioner, which also has a light and pleasant scent, is another factor. People often tell me I smell nice. Often after hugs.

I love it when people have a really nice natural scent. Some people's natural smells I like, some not so much. I've complimented my boyfriend for smelling nice only to have him tell me he isn't wearing anything scented, and indeed had not even showered that day. Some folks just smell good.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:11 PM

4,699 posts, read 3,281,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae Maes Garden View Post
White Diamonds.....back in the 90's when magazines had insert cards with cologne-perfume samples..I wiped one on my neck and then went out with my then-boyfriend...now husband. He loved WDiamonds and replenishes my stock to this day!

Mae
I wore White Diamonds when it first came out. I loved it then but wore it so much that I can't stand the smell of it now. There are very few perfumes that I go back and wear again.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:20 PM

249 posts, read 355,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Does anyone remember Happy by Clinique? Good grief that stuff was potent.
This was my go to 20 years ago! :lol:

I always get compliments when I wear Burberry Brit. But I like Ralph (Ralph Lauren) better.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:25 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,601,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamingx View Post
Just curious. I'm a huge fan of perfumes and always trying new ones. My recent favorite is Paco Rabanne Olympea. It lasts very long and smells great. Salted vanilla, ginger, and jasmine are some of its notes. I just spritz it a few times and I'm good for the whole day. The bottle is cute too

I get the most compliments when I wear it. My other perfumes don't even compare lol.

If you don't wear perfume and wear oils or body mist you can share that too!

A better approach to the subject, would be to ask men what perfume they prefer on women. My answer is none at all. In most cases, you're wearing it to serve some internal need of your own, and men may be just tolerating it.

I've noticed that young girls in recent years, are often using great amounts of it, just for school. If the stink hits me, 30 feet away, in the open air, what must it be like for other students on school buses and in classrooms? Why is this allowed? Many people are allergic to perfumes or have respiratory disorders that it aggravates. A perfume-free society would be a step forward.

The majority of laundry detergents are now heavily-perfumed. When the clothes washed in it are dried, the foul smell is imposed on the whole neighborhood. You have to hunt at a store to find a type that isn't perfumed and pay extra. I suspect that the sense of smell in regular perfume users has been impaired, much like listening to lots of loud music will diminish hearing. They are not able to realize how strong and offensive the scents they use, are to others.

Old 07-10-2017, 03:37 PM

13,059 posts, read 18,146,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Shalimar, Poison, Angel
That is all I wear. Oldie but a goodie. I will admit to something that I probably should not, but will chalk it up to high school stupidity or lack of taste. I used to wear English Leather. Funny part is I am a girly girl and always was but I do recall that was my favorite. Thank God I came to my senses.

I aso remember the Tabu stick that we sold in the drug store I worked in. I also have a very vivid recollection of what I am sure was smaller than I recall, of Aramis by Lauder. We had a decanter of it on the toilet tank and it fell off one day. I can still recall that bath smelling for ages.

Last edited by nuts2uiam; 07-10-2017 at 03:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty