Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 09:59 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,884,097 times

Advertisements

Being dressed up has very little to do with being good looking.

Dressing appropriately for the event or circumstance shows intelligence and not just some thoughtless desire to be "fancy."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 10:05 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,720,155 times
I hate how casual everyone dresses. I am often overdressed. Not ball gown dress but xmas party I put nice dress on instead of jeans & top. birth day parties, I will have nice dress with statement jewelry.. After all it is a party.. Where else am I suppose to wear nice dress in

Old 04-25-2017, 10:06 AM

130,749 posts, read 12,197,426 times
I have seen people working in a cafe, wearing designer clothes. To me that is over dressed & silly.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:08 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,686,242 times
I wear nice dresses for formal and semi-formal events. Christmas parties aren't always formal/semi-formal events. My last two workplaces always held their Christmas parties at private lanes at a bowling alley. A cocktail dress would have been silly.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:33 AM

18,544 posts, read 18,818,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
There is. Definitely.

We all laugh hysterically at this one lady we know. Not in front of her of course! But after every event we are like "Did you see that get up?!" We jokingly call her the "trophy wife" because a guy called her that once and we all got a laugh. We are all in our late 50's to 60's and the TW dresses to the nines everywhere she goes. We live in a laid back lake community and shorts /capris and T-shirts, polos, etc are the typical outfit. She shows up at a car club meeting wearing a beaded gown and heels, hat w/feathers! Why? I guess they were going out to eat after, but I've never worn a dress like that unless I was going to a black-tie or white tie event. Other times she wears outfits that look like Palm Springs "chic" where every part of the outfit has sparkles or lame, or is made of silk. I mean we are going for a car ride and then out to lunch at a small dive-y restaurant and she looks like she stepped out of a New York trendy club or something all the time. WAAAAYY over-dressed.

It's okay to be the best-dressed in the room, but not in a way that makes people gossip about you behind your back because you look so out of place.
maybe its the gossipers who have the problem and not her....she probably doesnt give a hoot whos talking about her and it makes her feel good to dress up... I personally dont like being overdressed or noticed but were all different .

Old 04-25-2017, 12:10 PM

4,855 posts, read 3,661,661 times
One thing I hate seeing is older women (like me) who pile on the turquoise when in Santa Fe. Ok, we get it. You have lots of gorgeous native American jewelry.

Please don't wear it ALL AT ONCE.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:13 PM

4,855 posts, read 3,661,661 times
I used to love dressing well at my husband's family birthday parties and at Christmas, etc. They all dressed down, sweats and socks, etc.

I would show up in jeans, boots, white shirt and a black blazer almost every time.

I think it shows you care and don't want to be drug down.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:16 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,089,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I tend to dress up. I feel more comfortable. I am waiting for my flight now at the airport. I almost feel over dressed in my t-shirt dress and cardigan wit sporty flats. Most everyone else is in sweatpants!
It amazes me how some people like to travel looking as if they just rolled out of bed.

I do think we should make SOME effort to look presentable!!

Old 04-25-2017, 01:25 PM

4,571 posts, read 5,446,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Is there really such a thing as overdressed?
Yes. There IS such a thing as being OVERDRESSED.

Overdressed - wearing jeans and sneakers to/on the beach.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:42 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,432,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
This post might have some value in Italy or Spain but in America if people overdress, at minimum they will be ridiculed behind their backs.

Every time I go to rural areas or deep suburbs, I'm very careful to dress down and plain. Men out there will not hesitate to scoff at men who look like outsiders, urbanites, liberals, hipsters, or who just look successful.

Good country stock wears scummy blue jeans, t-shirts, flannels and work boots.
So true, my mother always said it was better to underdress than overdress, but she always picked wisely. Out in the boonies the worst thing you can do is appear to put on airs - you'll be forever labeled as snobbish or stuck-up or worse and figuratively beaten into submission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty