Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 11:21 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times

Advertisements

I keep seeing the threads here for eyelash curlers and mascara, and am envious.

Used to have thick, long lashes, but as I've gotten older they have disappeared or something? I almost look 'funny' with mascara on, and when I tried the clear mascara that is just supposed to enhance what you have -- well, I didn't have anything much left to enhance.

Where have all my lashes gone? Is this just a natural consequence of getting older? I noticed it first in my 40s, and now I'm in my early 50s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 12:30 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
My eyelashes started disappearing after age 40, too! I don't know why...

Old 03-05-2008, 01:37 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,900,448 times
I bought Jan Marini Eyelash intervention for my mom and I. It is a conditioning treatment for your lashes that you put on before you sleep.
Very pricy but it lasts 4-6 months.

I had an event and was considering false eyelashes, which are soooo annoying in my opinion.
I bought the eyelash intervention and within a month or two, everyone, including men, were asking if I was wearing false lashes! Even my mom, who is in her 50's and hates her short stubby lashes, saw a great improvement.
Again, its pricey, but its worth it if you want to see improvement.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:13 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,718,276 times
Have you had your thyroid checked? Maybe there is something else going on physically that's causing the eyelash loss, like low thyroid levels?

My other thought is, do you use a gentle cleanser to take off your eye makeup? Maybe the lashes are breaking off?

Hope you can find a solution.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:32 PM

394 posts, read 1,506,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
I bought Jan Marini Eyelash intervention for my mom and I. It is a conditioning treatment for your lashes that you put on before you sleep.
Very pricy but it lasts 4-6 months.

I had an event and was considering false eyelashes, which are soooo annoying in my opinion.
I bought the eyelash intervention and within a month or two, everyone, including men, were asking if I was wearing false lashes! Even my mom, who is in her 50's and hates her short stubby lashes, saw a great improvement.
Again, its pricey, but its worth it if you want to see improvement.
Very interesting. I'm a rep for a particular skin care/cosmetic company and about a month ago they came out with a lash treatment like the one you described above. Til then I had never heard of such a thing. So, I've been using it now for about 3 weeks. I looked up the conditioner you described...the containers are about the same, so I guess it works on the same principal (however much less $$). I'm interested to see what happens to my lashes after using for a while. I seem to notice an improvement already - but I was wondering if it was a placebo effect. I would assume that something that helps lashes grow and become thicker would not be an overnight thing though.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:41 AM

355 posts, read 990,414 times
Maybe you should try Revitalash.......it really works. You have to use it for about 3-4 weeks to see the results and it is a bit expensive but worth the money. From what I understand, part of the proceeds go to breast cancer research. A win win all around.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:26 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,431,487 times
My mom has had the same problem......her hair getting thin/ falling out, right alongside with her lashes....and hair starting to grow on other parts of her body. Total havoc, and very disturbing to her....
She had tried all the "things" promising results....but, in her case, she spend a lot of money, without results.
She finally (frustrated and pretty bummed out) brought that up to her doc, and after some tests, placing her on a hormone therapy which helped her tremendously. (In her case, her hormones were just all over the place, and not balanced at all!)
So, I agree with previous posters, that there might be more going on, health wise, then blaming it on age.
Check with your doc about it.....you have nothing to lose........
Good luck!

Old 03-06-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
My mom has had the same problem(snip)She finally (frustrated and pretty bummed out) brought that up to her doc, and after some tests, placing her on a hormone therapy which helped her tremendously. (In her case, her hormones were just all over the place, and not balanced at all!)
So, I agree with previous posters, that there might be more going on, health wise, then blaming it on age.
Check with your doc about it.....you have nothing to lose........
Good luck!
Hormone balances! That was the other thing I was thinking (but too sleepy to remember at the time)! I saw a show with Suzanne Sommers who was explaining about having a Doctor check for those things if you're not feeling well, etc.

Just out of curiosity, once her and her Doctor got it under control, did her eyelashes grow back?

Old 03-06-2008, 09:33 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,431,487 times
Yes, even though slowly...but they did.
It is very strange on what the proper hormone balance (or imbalance for that matter) can cause.
Her head hair became somewhat fuller, because it became stronger, her eye lashes grew back, and the "stray hair" at the other places (where they didn't belong, or are very fine) disappeared.
It worked for her, and it all started (she noticed) in her early to mid 50's. (She's now in her late 60's)
Instead of going to the doc, thinking it was health related, she just "took" it as a sign of growing older, and just dealt with it, trying out any and everything that there is on the market, spending HUGE amounts of money in the duration of time.
Until she switched to a new doctor she was comfortable talking with and to, and VOILA.....tests were done, and the problem was addressed.
I think, a lot of people just hate to go to the doc in general, and don't want to "complain", or feel weird talking about certain things.
But, I would definitely talk to a doc first....and get some input, info, recommendations and leads.
I mean, we know our body, how we feel, and what it's "doing" or "not doing".....but, we don't know WHY and HOW things happen......the reasons....and who else to consult but a doc?
What works for some, doesn't work for others...and I just feel uncomfortable trying out all these products in hopes....
(Just think....what works for someone else, could kill me....for example)
Either way...it's a somewhat frustrating process....huh......and I wish her, and all other's with health issues and problems, the very best.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
Yes, even though slowly...but they did.
It is very strange on what the proper hormone balance (or imbalance for that matter) can cause.
Her head hair became somewhat fuller, because it became stronger, her eye lashes grew back, and the "stray hair" at the other places (where they didn't belong, or are very fine) disappeared.
It worked for her, and it all started (she noticed) in her early to mid 50's. (She's now in her late 60's)
There is a creme by prescription, Vaniqua, that will remove the hair from the face caused by having too much of the wrong hormone and supposedly will grow the hair missing elsewhere on Women back. I cannot attest to this as I've never used it, but I saw two news shows that mentioned this. Did her Doctor prescribe her that too?
Quote:
Instead of going to the doc, thinking it was health related, she just "took" it as a sign of growing older, and just dealt with it, trying out any and everything that there is on the market, spending HUGE amounts of money in the duration of time.
I'm guilty of spending loads of money too, on cosmetics that never deliver what they promise. I could've probably bought a home with all the money I wasted on that.
Quote:
Until she switched to a new doctor she was comfortable talking with and to, and VOILA.....tests were done, and the problem was addressed.
I think, a lot of people just hate to go to the doc in general, and don't want to "complain", or feel weird talking about certain things.
But, I would definitely talk to a doc first....and get some input, info, recommendations and leads.
I agree. I'm glad your Mom got the help she needed, and that she has a Doctor who was willing to listen and work with her as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty