Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2017, 08:11 AM

676 posts, read 528,906 times

Advertisements

As has been said .... your BMI indicates that you are overweight. I am 150 lbs and 5' 5". This puts me at the top of my acceptable weight and could be called overweight.

So .... the real problem here is the stigma of being referred to as fat. This can feel very hurtful and there will always be someone who thinks you and I are fat no matter what our weight (unless we become anorexic, which I can guarantee will never happen to me).

I have found that the most hurtful comments are the ones in which I have some emotional investment. So, when my sister stated that I looked a little chubby (at 155 lbs) I reacted by saying, "I am chubby" and by starting a diet to lose the weight. I wasn't really hurt by the comment though because I didn't feel that the bit of extra weight made me look less attractive AND I knew that I could lose the weight. However, when her friend stated that I looked older than 57, that hurt. It didn't matter that he qualified it with a "but you still look sexy". It was painful to hear. Why? Because I mind looking old. It doesn't matter how many people reassure me that I don't look older than 57, that one comment is the one I remember because I essentially agree with it. I do look old and I keep looking older as time goes on.

So who is at fault here. Many people would berate those who said I was chubby and old looking, but really it is up to me to find a way to be O.K. with some people finding me chubby and old. I must find a way to be O.K. with not looking young and you must find a way to be O.K. with not looking slim to a certain percentage of people.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:16 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,015,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwoman View Post
As has been said .... your BMI indicates that you are overweight. I am 150 lbs and 5' 5". This puts me at the top of my acceptable weight and could be called overweight.
BMI is a garbage metric. It factors just height and weight and spits out an arbirtrary number that falls in an abritrary range categorized as "normal," "overweight," or "obese." It does not consider muscle mass, bone density, etc. It's as simplistic and worthless a metric as ever one existed.

The rest of your post was solid.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:25 AM

1,261 posts, read 972,643 times
My general rule is, if your belly is sticking out further than your boobs, youre overweight.

I actually like a lil belly on my women.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:29 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,429,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starscratch View Post
Okay, everybody needs to shut [snip] up about weight. Right now I weigh 149 lbs. and I am /not/ overweight. You wanna know how I know? My doctor told me so. She was even shocked that I thought I was overweight. But keep in mind, I exercise. I do yoga pretty regularly, I have to walk my dog and my job requires physical labor. Also remember that muscle is more dense than fat so just because you see you are gaining weight does not mean you are gaining fat. And just so you know I have no problem fitting into a size 8. Or 6 for that matter. So to all you people saying that a girl around 5'3" or something close to that that weights around 150 pounds is fat, you need to shut [snip] up. You don't know anything about their lives so just but out. And to all the other girls out there like me, WE ARE NOT OVERWEIGHT. And if you really want to know if you are, ask your doctor. They know more about this subject than you do.
I'm 5'7" and 220. And yes, I am overweight. I'm not obese, but I could stand to lose a few pounds.

Doesn't bother my husband or I that I'm fluffy. So that's why I don't bother jumping up and down screaming for everyone to ****.

A size 8 on a 5'3" frame is like a size 16 on a 5'7" frame.

Perhaps you need to see a therapist, not a doctor, about your weight making you feel so defensive.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-16-2017 at 12:41 PM..

Old 03-16-2017, 09:21 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,396,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hand McLovin View Post
My general rule is, if your belly is sticking out further than your boobs, youre overweight.

I actually like a lil belly on my women.
What's your rule for guys? Or is it the same?

Old 03-16-2017, 09:26 AM

1,261 posts, read 972,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
What's your rule for guys? Or is it the same?
The same. Pot belly on anyone is not attractive in my eyes.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:27 AM

2,235 posts, read 2,409,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminigirl7 View Post
I thought weight topics were taboo? Anyway, I'm only 5'2 and my weight has been all over the place the last 10 years. Right now I'm smaller than I've ever been at about 110 and I can tell you that I felt awful at 150. Everyone carries their weight differently and 150 did not look good on me and I certainly felt overweight. No way could I wear an 8 at 150 so it's interesting how different people are built. I was a 12 at that size. I was a 14 at 160 (my heaviest) and now I'm a 2 at 110. I was a 8 at about 130. I wouldn't mind getting up to 120 but I personally could never be happy at 150. I look super dumpy at that weight.

If you're happy and healthy why do you care what anyone else thinks? Some people look better heavier and some don't. Good for you I suppose.
I agree with you.. I'm 5'2" as well and weigh about 117 lbs right now.. I feel most comfortable around 110 - 112 lbs, but I've gained some weight due to non-stop eating during the fall and winter..lol. It is interesting to see shorter women weigh like 140 or 150 lbs and still look fit... I too would look very bloated and dumpy at 150 lbs.. I would have to also probably eat thousands of calories a day to get there too..

But I think many people are realizing that the number on the scale is just simply a number.. it doesn't mean that much. Two people of the same height and weight can look totally different.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:40 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,941,145 times
My wife is 5'6" and weighs 147. She is insanely muscular. She doesn't have any fat at all. There is no possible weigh that a 5'3" woman, no matter how muscular could NOT be overweight. And not just a little overweight. Obese. So... the issue isn't whether or not the o.p. is overweight. She is. That is not a crime. The defensiveness and push-back over weight issues could be an unhealthy thing, however.

I am 5'10" and 200lbs. I should lose 25lbs. I am working on it. But I am also a lot more muscular and fit than most men my age, and 200 doesn't look bad on me at all. In fact, the only one telling me to lose 25lbs. is my doctor. Maybe the o.p. needs to get a second opinion because a doctor that would encourage a patient to weigh 150 at 5'3" probably needs to retire. Or maybe the doctor didn't actually tell the o.p. they weren't fat. Maybe they actually said... o.k., well... you're fat, but that's ok, God loves you, and so do I.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:19 AM

20,770 posts, read 19,995,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
My wife is 5'6" and weighs 147. She is insanely muscular. She doesn't have any fat at all. There is no possible weigh that a 5'3" woman, no matter how muscular could NOT be overweight. And not just a little overweight. Obese. So... the issue isn't whether or not the o.p. is overweight. She is. That is not a crime. The defensiveness and push-back over weight issues could be an unhealthy thing, however.

I am 5'10" and 200lbs. I should lose 25lbs. I am working on it. But I am also a lot more muscular and fit than most men my age, and 200 doesn't look bad on me at all. In fact, the only one telling me to lose 25lbs. is my doctor. Maybe the o.p. needs to get a second opinion because a doctor that would encourage a patient to weigh 150 at 5'3" probably needs to retire. Or maybe the doctor didn't actually tell the o.p. they weren't fat. Maybe they actually said... o.k., well... you're fat, but that's ok, God loves you, and so do I.
I am at the gym every second day, look visibly toned, flat belly, close to having my veins pop in my arms.

I am 5'11" and 136 lbs. I could go to 140 lbs.
But at 150 I would feel and look overweight. The only way I would be able to have 150 and not look chubby is when I would be a competing athlete and working out several hours a day. Which OP doesn't.

OP says she has lots of muscles from work and walking her dog. Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-16-2017 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: Personal attack.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:23 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,248,031 times
5'3" and 150 lbs is overweight for probably 95% or more of the population. Unless all that weight is muscle, then yes, you are overweight. BMI is a guideline for everyone, it doesn't take into account bodybuilders and the like. The average person is not like that.

I remember a local story about obesity here in Dallas several years ago. It also talked about the BMI index, blah blah blah. They brought up the case of Emmitt Smith, who is 5'9" but he weighed 220lbs in his prime. That of course, was solid muscle. So for him, the chart was not accurate, (those stats say he is obese!) as he was certainly healthy. I hear he's still around 190lbs, because he stays in good shape, which would still be considered overweight by BMI standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.