Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 01:58 PM

201 posts, read 195,404 times

Advertisements

Hi Riaelise,
Sizes are a ballpark, not an absolute. Between vanity sizing, inconsistencies in manufacturing/ lack of standards everything needs to be tried on first.

Fashion and how something is cut also matters. Just because something is in style or fits I won't necessarily wear it. I wear what looks good and feels good period. That being said I'm fed up with certain companies and their marketing- why does an A cup skeletal woman get featured modeling a "plus size/ curvy" bra? Why is it assumed all women have narrow feet, small feet, small ear canals? Unless a woman has fake boobs if she is a DDD or EEE cup, her band size for a bra is not likely a 32.

I've been all different sizes and I can safely say few women are happy with swimsuits, jeans or bras no matter what their size.
I want to learn to make my own clothes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 06:56 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,465,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Maybe it's because I'm older, but I don't feel bad for having to select the size 10 vs. the 8 if the 10 flatters more.
Gee, now you're just bragging.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:01 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,497,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Gee, now you're just bragging.
No I'm not, I swear!

Old 03-08-2017, 09:03 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,497,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernGator View Post
Hi Riaelise,
Sizes are a ballpark, not an absolute. Between vanity sizing, inconsistencies in manufacturing/ lack of standards everything needs to be tried on first.

Fashion and how something is cut also matters. Just because something is in style or fits I won't necessarily wear it. I wear what looks good and feels good period. That being said I'm fed up with certain companies and their marketing- why does an A cup skeletal woman get featured modeling a "plus size/ curvy" bra? Why is it assumed all women have narrow feet, small feet, small ear canals? Unless a woman has fake boobs if she is a DDD or EEE cup, her band size for a bra is not likely a 32.

I've been all different sizes and I can safely say few women are happy with swimsuits, jeans or bras no matter what their size.
I want to learn to make my own clothes!
Couldn't agree more. Clothes shopping = love/hate regardless of size. Always have to try on.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:24 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,121,164 times
A 29 in jeans will fit me across the board EXCEPT with Gap. I hate their vanity sizing.

I accidently grabbed my white gap jeans and took them with me to Miami and they were the only thing I had to wear (thought they were my Top Shop jeans). They were so baggy and frumpy that I tripped on the leg while carrying coffee and spilled it all over me.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:46 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,342,968 times
The best jeans for the fit for me were VS London jean. They fit my hips and waist. I could get them in long length. They were perfect. I went to order another pair and discovered they no longer sell clothes

London jeans were made and marketed for VS.

Onto the new hunt for the perfect jean. I hate shopping.

Still haven't found a place that works for me. The discrepancy in sizing makes it even more difficult. If I ever find another brand that works, I will go back to ordering online again. Till then I will make my rare shopping trips to the stores.

I hate shopping.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:16 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,762,425 times
I always believed that to tight looks terrible whereas to big is acceptable, especially on woman.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:38 AM

20,767 posts, read 19,992,197 times
I don't care about the size. I have had 4-10 without losing/gaining any weight. It's all over the place.

In the US I am size S, in Europe I am size M. Don't care.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:04 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,342,968 times
The funny thing about all this is I have no clue what size I am! I have dresses that are a size 2 (?!?!?!) I've never been a 2. I think I skipped that size growing up.

I go into a store and have no idea where to begin looking. I have long legs and small frame.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:44 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,778,836 times
Women's sizing has changed AT LEAST twice since I started buying my own clothing in the 70s. What was a 6 turned into a 4, and then they did it again. So a size 8 in 1970 is now a size 4.

So certainly there is an issue of vanity involved, but the thing that bugs me about women's sizing is that it is and always has been so INCONSISTENT. A man can go buy a 32L and be sure that the next 32L is still a 32L. A size 14 shirt with 30" sleeve length 20 years ago is still a 14 with 30" sleeve length now.

This is why I HATE buying mail order clothing. I wear any of at least 3 different sizes and there is no telling which one until I actually try it on - or better, WASH it first and then see if it still fits.

Shoe sizes for women have also changed. Coming out of high school I wore an 11. Now I wear a 9.5 or 10, sometimes even a 9. I guarantee you my feet have not shrunk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty