Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 05:14 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,353,566 times

Advertisements

Sounds great to me! Just be sure you are comfortable so you don't give a second thought to what you're wearing as you interview.

I recently interviewed and carried a tote in which I could tuck my purse and a folder with my documents. Also brought a steno pad to take notes and wrote down names when introduced. I set the tote aside and brought docs and pad to the table. (Got the job) I guess I should add I wore black jeans, a long sweater (covered my butt), and my Italian riding paddock boots.The job is business casual.

I traveled by train to get there. If I had driven I would have left bags in car. Take your id cards in case they want copies.

Best wishes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 07:29 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,349,022 times
I don't agree with whoever said "if you're wearing pantyhose make it nude or black". I would NEVER in a million years wear black pantyhose unless I was wearing a black skirt and even then it would be the sheerest I could find.

The OP's choice sounds fine to me. Preferably NO perfume but if you must wear some make it light and just a spritz. Some women really have a heavy hand with perfume and that would immediately make me not want to hire someone, especially if I had to work with them on a regular basis. I can't deal with some of those heavy, sweet perfumes. Go easy on the accessories, maybe a watch, your wedding ring if you are married, maybe some small earrings, nothing dangly. You want the interview to focus on YOU not on what your are wearing.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Yes, when I think of "tailored cardigan" that is interview appropriate, I think more of this:

https://goo.gl/images/2uxdSb

Or

https://goo.gl/images/xnWtyp

I love both of those! Where I live (Florida) we don't get a chance to wear sweaters very often.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This is a fairly normal problem. I can't just walk into a store and find a blazer. To properly fit my bust I need to size up, maybe even 2 sizes. And I have a short torso. So I need a lot of tailoring to get the right fit. It doesn't work to make that happen for a last minute interview.

Blazers are hard to fit for many body types. And a poor fitting blazer is even worse than no blazer!

Getting off topic here but have you tried shopping in the Petites section?

Old 02-25-2017, 07:46 AM

16,428 posts, read 12,552,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I don't agree with whoever said "if you're wearing pantyhose make it nude or black". I would NEVER in a million years wear black pantyhose unless I was wearing a black skirt and even then it would be the sheerest I could find.
I agree with this. I also saw a suggestion of tights. I'd say no to tights. They can either tend toward juvenile or puritanical.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:16 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,925,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Getting off topic here but have you tried shopping in the Petites section?
Two problems with The petite section for me: most stores stop at size 12 and size that section down. I definitely need a 16 in a blazer maybe more depending on the cut. Second problem is I have relatively long arms so the petite tops are too short there. And I am busty so it adds another challenge.

If I need a tailored blazer, I need to add $50 for alterations! Boyfriend blazers and the like I can get away with les than perfect fit but those aren't job interview appropriate.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:13 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,548,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I have one of those bags that's like a structured tote, only smaller (satchel, maybe?). I can't really pull off a large bag, so it's just big enough to fit a narrow file folder and all of my stuff.
Two thumbs up!

Old 02-25-2017, 10:42 AM

29,762 posts, read 34,459,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I agree with this. I also saw a suggestion of tights. I'd say no to tights. They can either tend toward juvenile or puritanical.
I don't know about that. It's a business casual environment. Tights certainly fall under that umbrella--I work in a casual environment and (almost) every woman wears tights with dresses. Nobody would bat an eyelash.

Anyway, good luck to Ms. Mathlete!

Old 02-25-2017, 12:18 PM

5,135 posts, read 4,494,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I don't know about that. It's a business casual environment. Tights certainly fall under that umbrella--I work in a casual environment and (almost) every woman wears tights with dresses. Nobody would bat an eyelash.
In a business casual environment, tights are fine AFTER you get the job, but NOT for the job interview. It's always best to dress more formally than the everyday dress code for a job interview.

I agree with hertfordshire that tights can look juvenile or puritanical with a suit skirt, which is what the OP is wearing. A suit skirt is formal and classic, and coordinates best with sheer pantyhose--preferably in nude for a job interview. A regular job interview is not the time for quirky outfits. Classic and traditional always looks best. You want the interviewer to remember what you said, not the unconventional outfit you wore.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:57 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,070,252 times
Don't over accessorize (minimal low-key jewelry) and no perfume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty