Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 12:58 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,397,561 times

Advertisements

People still go to shop for clothes. Funny, that ended when I got married. LOL

My wife realizes I have no style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 03:27 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,375,584 times
I don't go shopping really for clothes and the last few times I got something, I ordered it online.

I do like when my sister comes with me for certain things because she will notice EVERYTHING. Something she knows that might annoy me but that I might miss at first. And she has no qualms about being honest with me. I have a very distorted view of myself/my body so sometimes what I think exists, doesn't.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:38 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,743,116 times
Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Something Ive never done as I dont like to be influenced by others on what I wear.. Even as a young girl I never asked a friend to go with me shopping for clothes.. and I wondered if others need a second opinion or arent sure of their own mind with clothes..
Oh god... nothing good every came out of me asking my freinds to help me choose clothes. If I needed a solid opinion ... my mother was the only person that would give it to me straight ...ex if it looked bag she would tell me.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:55 PM

274 posts, read 486,106 times
I prefer shopping alone or online. My friends would hate me if they went with me shopping... I'm am the epitome of indecisive... smh

Old 01-17-2017, 11:05 PM

10,116 posts, read 19,441,911 times
I typically prefer to shop by myself, unless the friend is not overbearing. Its nice to have a helper of sorts, someone who can get you various sizes, colors, etc, so you don't have to keep getting fully dressed each time you want something different.

But I've had friends get too pushy with their opinions. Like, why don't you get something sexy? Why do you dress so serious? When I'm just buying basic clothes, not old school marm clothes Think of my style as "casual Duchess Kate". Or the "friends" try to dictate my budget. Why are you spending so much on----?" When I feel its a fair price. The one I hated the most to shop with was my mother! She held the purse strings, so she got to decide/dictate what I bought. It was a struggle to convince her what my true size was---she always wanted something 2-3X too big, etc.

Now that I'm a "big girl" I prefer to do most of my shopping online

Old 01-17-2017, 11:10 PM

296 posts, read 232,995 times
When we were in our teens and early twenties, all us girls would shop together.
But now, no way, I prefer to go alone.
The last time I went shopping with a friend, she wanted to look at athletic shoes, which I had no interest in at the time. We had to go into every single store in that mall that carried athletic shoes. Although I was smiling and acting interested, all I wanted to go was go to a book store.
There sure seemed to be a lot of shoe stores in that mall lol
So I decided, next time I'll go alone. And that's what I've been doing ever since.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:10 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,349,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Chicks. Usually young ones from teen to mid-late 20s. You never see dudes of any age doing this. Its a young girl thing.
Wrong.
Mr. CSD is not a young girl and him and Daylight Dave used to go shopping together all the time.
They needed shirts and jeans, were together and enjoy each other's company.
There is little relegated to one group of humans that partake in a situation.

Personally I hate shopping but Mr. CSD will drag me to the dress shop from time to time, park me in the dressing room and bring me clothes to try on. He has really good taste.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:29 AM

17,154 posts, read 12,999,633 times
I always bring my wife with me to go clothes shopping as I have a tendency to buy stuff that doesn't look so good just because I hate doing it and need to buy A/B/C item. Since whatever I'm trying on fits that requirement, I'll buy it even if it makes my stomach look huge or it displays my cellulite in all its pimply glory just so I can cease and desist the torture of shopping a few minutes sooner. She will tell me, "That shirt is too tight," or "Those pants are too long," or whatever, then offer to fetch another in the proper size, which saves much time over me getting dressed again to get a different size/color.

When we go shopping together for her, it's more frustrating because she is horribly picky and won't buy an item unless it's JUST RIGHT. Thus we might go to ten stores and only get one shirt or pants, whereas we'll go to one or two stores for me, come out with four items, and call it a year. I try to go to my happy place and remind myself I married her for many reasons other than the clothes shopping thing and looking good is much more important to her than it is to me.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:51 AM

18,544 posts, read 18,818,226 times
I find shopping now a bit tiring, and can only do the one shop for a short time.. the sharp bright lights tire me out and I hate queues... so prefer online shopping now .. and can try them on at home.... I went with a workmate many years ago and thought I was taking a panic attack.. she loved clothes, but was very picky. she had a cute very small figure and would come out of the cubicle to prance around in dresses to get all the flattery from the store assistants, I told her I was busy and had dinner to make before we went and she said OH come on its for a wedding Im going to and I value your opinion.. so I said to her that I had an hour to spare and thats it... so we went to one very large department store where she looked at hats, gloves, shoes then got the the dress department where she tried on four nice dresses.. couldnt make up her mind but said to put a black velvet one aside and she d go to another shop and maybe come back... I looked at her thinking WHY AM I HERE.. she hadnt asked my opinion at all .. and I stood there fed up and bored... another shop. clock ticking, three dresses on and off, and then with a big smile. she said.... I liked that first one didnt you..... I nodded so back we go she gets the black velvet number then on the way out she stops at the makeup dept and asks the girl if she could be made up.....I looked at her half in amusement half anger... as she tried to get me to get my face made up too..... Made up.. with the scowl I now had on it.. I dont think so.. we got outside, I was over two hours late to get home.. she was beaming with her new fresh look and purchase and had the cheek to say to me... What about Dolcis for a look for shoes.... I looked at her , shook my head and was off on the next available bus home and left her to her shoe hunt... never ever again with anyone.. will I go shopping or ask anyone to go with me..

Old 01-18-2017, 10:14 AM

6 posts, read 4,560 times
I prefer to shop alone when shopping for myself. I'm picky and I usually go for more expensive pieces in comparison to friends and family - I dislike getting any comments on how I spend my money or how much they think something should cost.

Even now, when family asks me "oh, how much was it?", I usually downplay the price I actually paid for the item. I even go so far to hide any brand names subtly (ie, placing my wallet face down) or dressing down when visiting.

If I want any opinion on something, I ask my stylist who I trust to give me an honest opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty