Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2008, 07:44 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,286,743 times

Advertisements

I have some general questions about eye makeup. I've always tended to wear quite a bit, at least mascara and eyeliner, and can't bear to go to work without either. In the last couple of years I started kind of glomming it on after a crisis I went through. Suddenly my eye makeup was way out of control. I've been trying to reel it in lately by carefully blending in my eyeliner and in general wearing less. I live in Salt Lake where people don't seem to wear as much make up in general and occasionally I notice people looking annoyed at me as they rub their eyes.

How much eye makeup do you wear for day and why? Would you show up at work without it on? Does strong eye makeup like purple eyeshadow rather than neutrals bother you so long as it is correctly applied? Do you feel annoyed by other people's makeup?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 09:09 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,868,736 times
I wear makeup every day to work. If I'm home all day, I won't generally wear much, if any. To work I wear eyeiner (top lip only and switched from black to brown), a more neutral color eyeshadow (beige, light pink, etc) and mascara. I always, always wear lipstick. On my face I use a moisturizer with sunscreen, a light base and translucent powder. I would never go to work with out makeup on.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:12 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,174,301 times
Today, I went out with Cerulean eyeshadow along the inner areas and Purple on the outer areas. Added with a tiny black line under my eye and good mascara...

It really brings out the green in my eyes.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:11 PM

395 posts, read 1,364,173 times
I looove my eye make-up! I always wear different varients of gold/brown/coppers. I am in my early 20's...my mom who is in her late 30's wears all sorts of crazy colors, BUT she does it tastfully!!! And I am like "wow! I wish I could get away with that!"
So, that said if you think if you do it well..then do it!!! Eye make-up only bothers me if it is wayyyy too much, then it goes beyond just making yourself beautiful or having fun. It makes it look like youre trying too hard, which can be annoying. But usually I don't see many people go overboard.

I say have fun with it!

Old 03-01-2008, 10:46 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,502,414 times
I don't go anywhere without it! I wear mascara, eyeshadow and liner. My favorite eyeshadow to wear is purple. I usually just use a dark shadow with a liner brush for my eyeliner. It seems to match better that way.

catrinac, I live in Layton and I haven't noticed that not many people wear eye makeup. I'm going to be really paying attention now!

Old 03-01-2008, 11:15 AM

1,887 posts, read 7,941,803 times
I hardly ever wear eye makeup but people tell me I have pretty eyes so every once in a while I'll play up my lashes with some mascara. I groom my eyebrows and use a highlighter under them so they're always arched and neat-looking.

The most eye make up that i'll wear looks something like this: 2 shades of shadow (variations of the same shade on the lid and under the brow), felt tip liner and mascara. Thats my look for a night out.

On a daily basis- it would just irritate me. My cleansing routine is pretty simple so I don't like to have to mess with eye makeup remover every day. Also I wear contacts so if something crumbles into my eye- well, that could be a dangerous situation! LOL

Old 03-01-2008, 05:40 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,286,743 times
Purple is my favorite shade too. It's the only color that really does anything for my eyes. Ok fine I will admit it: I think the problem is that my eyes look different since my rhinoplasty.

You could be right, it seems the younger set in Salt Lake does wear makeup and the older crowd wears less. I'm not as young as I used to be but look young so I think it could be that I might want to look a lot younger than I am. I might be having a crisis about what is "appropriate".

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
I don't go anywhere without it! I wear mascara, eyeshadow and liner. My favorite eyeshadow to wear is purple. I usually just use a dark shadow with a liner brush for my eyeliner. It seems to match better that way.

catrinac, I live in Layton and I haven't noticed that not many people wear eye makeup. I'm going to be really paying attention now!

Old 03-01-2008, 11:27 PM

43 posts, read 215,719 times
I don't think there is a problem with wearing different colors like purple, green, yellow or anything like that.

If you read up on it you can pick out the color that accents your eyes. For example, Purple eye shadow is a great color for people with blue or green eyes. Try it out sometime. I have green eyes and I wear a lot of purple eye shadow. Now I will admit my eye shadow will vary depending on my shirt color. (I don't know why I just always seem to think my eye shadow needs to match my shirt) I wear mascara every day and eye shadow, but that is all I wear. I hardly ever wear it dark though. I usually wear my make up real light...unless I am going out. Then it's a little darker. That's just me.

If I could only wear one piece of makeup it would be mascara. That's the one thing I cannot leave the house without.

The way other people do their makeup doesn't bother me. I don't think it should bother anyone. That is part of who someone is... I don't know why that would bother someone really. Seems people are way too quick to judge others on their clothing style/makeup and even hair. I don't understand why myself.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:55 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,888,060 times
I normally just wear a little bit of eyeshadow and 1 coat of mascara (during the day).

I save my eyeliner for the evening (if I'm out for the evening, i.e. going to go play pool at the pub, go rent movies, do some night time grocery shopping, etc.).

When it comes to eyeshadow, I only wear neutral colors (or light colors). The darker colors are too "clownish" for me.

The mascara I use is Maybelline Great Lash (the one that's in a pink tube with a light green top). I put 1-2 coats on and it looks like I have false ones on! I love this brand and used it for years. It don't take much of it to make your lashes visible from a certain distance, that's for sure!!

Old 09-01-2009, 07:08 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,269,659 times
Make-up is just part of person style. Maybe you need to tone it down since your nose changed. Everyone can get away with different things based on skin color, feature size, clothing style. Just have fun with it. Who cares what people think. Just look at all the different lines out there that sport different types of style. MAC style is not like Smashbox which is not like Bobby Brown etc.

I don't like to go out without make up. But globbing it on for going through stuff...just make sure you don't look like baby jane and you will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty