Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 11:23 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,215,489 times

Advertisements

This is a very interesting article from the Washington Post about FLOTUS wardrobe. I'm a business person so I was very much interested in the ramifications (or lack thereof) of her choices for the well-being of the fashion businesses.

I'm old enough to remember when it was said "a real lady never shows her bare arms or legs" yet Mrs. Obama did so and with much class.I love her style and even though I'm not really into fashion I do enjoy seeing what she is wearing for special occasions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...rainbow&wpmm=1

Old 12-04-2016, 11:50 AM

4,994 posts, read 5,318,580 times
I dunno. IMO, a lot of her fashion was not well suited to her body. I don't know what effect she had on fashion, but I see a lot of people out and about in similar fashions and few look good in it.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:56 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,960,941 times
I really liked Michelle Obama's clothing choices and the silent statements she made.

I remember being so excited when Michelle Obama wore a dress I had (in a different color) on the campaign trail. A dress I got at Macy's.

I loved seeing her in modern every day wear - cool leather leggings, shorts on vacation and awesome professional clothing that didn't look too boring. Loved her embrace of kitten heels (one of my faves too).

Basically Mrs. O represented what I wanted my wardrobe to be when I grew up. particularly after Obama was elected and she shed the weird boring clothes that didn't seem to be her native style.

This blog was great!
Home - Mrs.O - Follow the Fashion and Style of First Lady Michelle Obama

Old 12-04-2016, 11:57 AM

9,884 posts, read 11,009,408 times
Jackie Kennedy had fashion sense.
Nancy Reagan had fashion sense.
Barbara Bush had fashion sense.
IMO, mrs. obama does not have fashion sense, she just listens to whatever the fashion designer tells her. She could shop wisely at J.C. Penny and look better.

Old 12-04-2016, 01:50 PM

15,220 posts, read 10,372,859 times
I think Michelle Obama always looks great, like a real person, not stuck up and stiff like Nancy Reagan was.

Old 12-04-2016, 01:50 PM

102,270 posts, read 108,324,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
IMO, mrs. obama does not have fashion sense, she just listens to whatever the fashion designer tells her. She could shop wisely at J.C. Penny and look better.
Jackie had fashion sense, but she also had the Kennedy family fortune behind her. She could go to Paris and buy or have specially designed for her top fashion house fare because her father-in-law gave her a huge shopping budget to keep her quiet about her husband's compulsive philandering after she discovered it and freaked out. It's easy to have fashion sense when you have an unlimited budget and came from an eastern preppie background.

Some of M. Obama's choices were better than others, but what I thought was interesting is that she often chose mid-price fashion that ordinary people could afford. She made ordinary items look great, kicking them up a notch.

Old 12-04-2016, 02:10 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,964,039 times
No, I don't like her style at all. The clothing was not flattering to her or her figure. Clothing should draw attention to all of the best parts of the woman wearing it. That just didn't happen. It did draw attention to the designer, though. And I think that was the designer's goal.

Old 12-04-2016, 02:34 PM

10,057 posts, read 18,135,689 times
Really wish people would give specific examples (preferably with links to photos, so we could see exactly what they are referring to) when they write things like "the clothing wasn't flattering on her" or "it was hideous" or whatever. I don't remember EVER seeing Mrs. Obama and thinking "Holy crap, what was she thinking?!!"; on the contrary, I think she has always looked terrific. Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-08-2016 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 12-04-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I disagree. Mrs. O very much shops like a woman today (even though she has a stylist). She shops high and low. She makes choices that suit her mood and mindset and isn't loyal to one designer or one look and she picks stuff that is practical for the day's agenda. Super relatable. We may not be handing out with heads of state on the daily, but you can pick up cues from her vacation wear, her outfits to head over to the school for a meeting. And her power outfits for giving speeches!

Old 12-04-2016, 02:53 PM

One of my fave ocassion appropriate outfits for Mrs. O. Coolest Mom ever status.

The first lady rocks black leather pants - NBC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty