Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 01:20 PM

6,812 posts, read 6,964,724 times

Advertisements

I had to google what a capsule wardrobe was and found it was something I already am doing. All my clothes are in shades of brown, orange and green. Shades range from beige to chocolate brown, peach to coral, greens are olive/army green. These shades suit my coloring, and I can mix and match all the pieces to create a variety of looks.

I think sticking with a basic color palette is the key.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 01:45 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,563,072 times
^^^ My colors are the complete opposite - I do not own anything that is brown, orange, green, yellow, or red. They all look terrible on me. I've also eliminated gray as it is just too drab and unflattering.

For solid colors, I only wear white, black, the blue-toned shades of red ranging from pink to bright magenta, as well as lavender, but no dark purple, and the shades of light blue to bright turquoise - but no royal blue.

Old 10-08-2016, 03:40 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,154,841 times
It doesn't seem like a big deal to me. It's the same concept as travel clothing. All you have to do is choose a few classics, and stick to neutrals, like black and gray.

But this has nothing to do with being put together.

Old 10-08-2016, 06:12 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,719,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
It doesn't seem like a big deal to me. It's the same concept as travel clothing. All you have to do is choose a few classics, and stick to neutrals, like black and gray.

That is the thing. we all mix and match everyday. But most outfits look like we threw few things together and don't look put together. Many of those mix and match doesn't go together but I still throw them on. I am hoping making conscious decision might help

Old 10-08-2016, 07:32 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,957,288 times
Apparently, I have a capsule wardrobe and didn't know it. It totally works for me. I limit the number of items and I have a color palette. Everything goes together so well that I can look pulled together in minutes (or when I'm half asleep). If I bring anything new into the house, it must work with my clothes or I immediately return it. Anything that doesn't fit perfectly is gone. I still read fashion magazines, but they usually inspire me to pair items I hadn't considered pairing before, or wearing an item in a new way.

Alternatively, my husband is a clothes horse. He has every color/style/multiples/ill-fitting items/things that need repaired----uggh, his closet is a nightmare. He wears the same 5 outfits b/c 1) they're comfortable and fit well and 2) he can't find anything else that works together. No thanks.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:30 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,719,561 times
I feel so relaxed.

After spending a week online reading/search (discussing in this post), then many hours on store websites & then few hours in mall trying on clothes.. finally I decided to just work with what I have. I put items that go with each other close to each other & took few key items to workout potential outfits. I came out with more possibilities then I expected and now I feel like as long as I keep up with my laundry, I will be fine. Not doing any shopping, ok maybe a little but no need to buy new seasonal clothes. I feel relaxed

time to tackle skin care for the season now

Old 10-10-2016, 03:19 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,768,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post

I disagree with the last statement. While a capsule wardrobe is initially about minimizing, one of the side effects is paring down to the best, and forcing the wearer to think more about their clothes than they likely had before, all of which lead to being more "put together". It is sort of like decluttering your home is more likely to be about getting organized, but it also frequently leads to your home being cleaner since it is easier to clean if you are not constantly surrounded by clutter.

Old 10-10-2016, 05:24 PM

780 posts, read 680,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I feel so relaxed.

After spending a week online reading/search (discussing in this post), then many hours on store websites & then few hours in mall trying on clothes.. finally I decided to just work with what I have. I put items that go with each other close to each other & took few key items to workout potential outfits. I came out with more possibilities then I expected and now I feel like as long as I keep up with my laundry, I will be fine. Not doing any shopping, ok maybe a little but no need to buy new seasonal clothes. I feel relaxed

time to tackle skin care for the season now

I'm glad it's working out for you!

Old 10-10-2016, 05:28 PM

102,255 posts, read 108,215,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
That is the thing. we all mix and match everyday. But most outfits look like we threw few things together and don't look put together. Many of those mix and match doesn't go together but I still throw them on. I am hoping making conscious decision might help
I thought the point of mix-and-match was that different pieces do go together. That's why it's called "mix and match" instead of "mix and clash".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty