Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 09:37 AM

776 posts, read 581,475 times

Advertisements

There is definitely a good trend this states. However, if you want really good, accurate information, just look at marketing. They spend the most money and do the most research to figure these things out.
-Asia, all the ads have a very petite girl, usually skinny is better for them but as long as they are small.
-Western Europe, very skinny, and sometimes tall. I have had WE women tell me before that larger women are much more popular over here, US.
-Eastern Europe, Thick is a sign of wealth so it is also attractive. I have had some EE women tell me this and was surprised, just look at some of their adds though.
-Africa, I don't think it matters as long as it moves. (look at birthrates)
-South and Central America, look at the popularity of plastic surgery. I'm sure one day they will make functioning Barbie Doll.
-North America, looking at us, we are very diverse so it is hard to tell, but we have our stereo types too.
-Australia, I see that they have not larger women but more robust figures in their adds. Some of their models look like they can double as line-backers.
-Arab nations, in this study they pointed at some Arab nations. I found this interesting because due to Islamic Law I don't think we find a lot of modeling or marketing of the female form.
Ultimately perfection is in the eye of the beholder, (sorry for being so cliché).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 09:50 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,345,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Yes I read somewhere that a fuller female figure was admired in the past because it showed that she was financially well off,able to eat well and afford expensive food, while being too thin was a sign of poverty, hard work, and starvation.
In addition to those things you mentioned, I've heard that fertility was thought to favor the fuller form.

Quote:
But why do you think different countries have different standards of weight and beauty?
I think that, like Shimmy00 said, it's most likely due to cultural differences, and that can get complex. But, the things that influence one group don't necessarily have much influence on another group.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:46 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,910,431 times
It looks like the only asked white South Africans. It is interesting to see how each culture changed her legs. Venezuela increased the size of her bust significantly, is that a place that has lots of breast implants? The Egyptian woman was pear shaped with thinner legs and wider hips tha the rest - and Egyptian women tend to be pear shaped.

Interesting article.

Old 09-24-2016, 03:09 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,127,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
This has been floating around the internet for a while now. The problem I have with this is that for starters, it gives you a rather unattractive woman to start with. Frumpy, dumpy, overweight, etc. Also, it doesnt say much about who the "designers" are in each country or their photoshop skills. The "designer" in Romania may be an overweight woman herself with poor photoshop skills, so of course she is biased about what she thinks looks good.

Its just a poor article IMO. Not only because the starting subject is so unattractive, but also because there really is no way to know for sure (or even ballpark) of what each country really finds attractive. NONE of those photos in the link I find attractive at all. Mexico, USA and Egypt are almost close to being in the ballpark though.
The intention of this, is right there in the article

We focused on female designers, as we wanted a woman’s view of what her culture finds attractive and to understand more about the pressures they face. However, in order to get entries from more countries, we accepted contributions from four men with the caveat that they first seek input from women and base their design changes on this feedback.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:57 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,553,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy00 View Post
Different cultures might have different standards because partly because of the natural body type associated with each country. China, for example- many Asians are petite and slim, so it's not surprising they designed the body to be so thin. Italy's design is the only country that suprises me. Italian/Mediterranean women tend to have curvy builds, wide set hips, roundish derrières. Maybe the body is so thin because high fashion is very big in certain parts of Italy, and those models are very thin?

That may be true of Italy . I would be curious to see one for France which has a lot of high fashion but it was not included. It is possible though that the French girl would not be so thin since the French also love fancy food. When you think about it the thin look of the girl from China makes some sense since Asian women are naturally small with small chests,legs, and backsides they are not curvy body types but even so I do think she was still too thin. I was suprised the South American girls were as large as they were since I have heard there is a lot of pressure to be thin in Brazil but I guess it does not affect the other South American countries as much.

Last edited by vanguardisle; 09-26-2016 at 06:18 AM..

Old 09-26-2016, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It looks like the only asked white South Africans. It is interesting to see how each culture changed her legs. Venezuela increased the size of her bust significantly, is that a place that has lots of breast implants? The Egyptian woman was pear shaped with thinner legs and wider hips tha the rest - and Egyptian women tend to be pear shaped.

Interesting article.
I was thinking the same thing about South Africa.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothere1 View Post
There is definitely a good trend this states. However, if you want really good, accurate information, just look at marketing. They spend the most money and do the most research to figure these things out.
-Asia, all the ads have a very petite girl, usually skinny is better for them but as long as they are small.
-Western Europe, very skinny, and sometimes tall. I have had WE women tell me before that larger women are much more popular over here, US.
-Eastern Europe, Thick is a sign of wealth so it is also attractive. I have had some EE women tell me this and was surprised, just look at some of their adds though.
-Africa, I don't think it matters as long as it moves. (look at birthrates)
-South and Central America, look at the popularity of plastic surgery. I'm sure one day they will make functioning Barbie Doll.
-North America, looking at us, we are very diverse so it is hard to tell, but we have our stereo types too.
-Australia, I see that they have not larger women but more robust figures in their adds. Some of their models look like they can double as line-backers.
-Arab nations, in this study they pointed at some Arab nations. I found this interesting because due to Islamic Law I don't think we find a lot of modeling or marketing of the female form.
Ultimately perfection is in the eye of the beholder, (sorry for being so cliché).
The idea of looking at ads to see what a country prefers is a good idea. I would also be interested to see if the ads changed over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty