Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2016, 05:25 PM

525 posts, read 662,839 times

Advertisements

OK, I'm spoiled. I'll own that.

Before we married, my husband always took his work shirts (dress button up, button collar) to the cleaners to get laundered and pressed. I was a single Mom for years; If I even owned a shirt that needed pressing, it either got ironed by me, or never worn.

Now all our shirts, mine and his, get taken to the cleaners. It saves me hours. We can afford it.

But the buttons!!!! I swear, loss of at least one button a week, sometimes more, because of the press they use.

Do I complain? Switch cleaners? Suck it up? I usually just have them replace the button. I never minded when it was my husband's shirts, (cuz he has like 40) but now I work an office job and wear button up dress shirts often and now I'M losing buttons. Horror... (@firstworldproblems)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 10:28 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,933,719 times
If your buttons are fragile, ask them to wrap them in foil. That helps protect thin buttons or buttons made from shell.

Are your buttons breaking or falling off? Breaking buttons is common with men's shirts but a lot of the time ladies blouses don't fit in the press and get ironed by hand. That's why they charge more for them. So it's not as common to see broken buttons on ladies shirts.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:11 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,257,162 times
I think I'd switch cleaners. And, if you are wearing cheaper shirts, it is possible that the buttons aren't sewn properly, and so they are falling off. Better quality shirts should have better quality buttons and they will be sewn on properly. My Lands End shirts do not shed buttons, but I don't take mine to the cleaners.

Old 09-20-2016, 05:44 PM

525 posts, read 662,839 times
These are not cheap shirts. The Banana Republic shirt is the most recent victim. It lost 3 buttons all at once, though I think it was sheer attrition. When I looked closely after trying to put it on and finding only 1/2 a button, I noticed cracks in the buttons. Add the Ralph Lauren's, Tommy Hilfiger's, Bill Blass, etc.

I will speak to them about it. I like my cleaners When they see my car pull up, before I even give them my ticket, they already have my cleaning to pick up hanging for me ready to take.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:44 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,873,566 times
How about just wash and iron them yourself; the washing machine is automatic, and ironing takes all of a few minutes for each shirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty