Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 06:18 PM

17,537 posts, read 39,154,399 times

Advertisements

There have been several threads recently about "losing one's looks" as we age, or what do we fear losing, etc. I wanted to share my opinion and different perspective on this, since I am now in my 60s. The bottom line is, it is my opinion that people can and do have beauty and attractiveness at any age. No, of course you cannot compare a 60 y.o. to a 20 y.o. But I am talking about more than just the "youth" factor. Our society, especially Americans, are obsessed with looking young, and youthfulness seems all that matters. But in many other countries and cultures, age is revered and actually thought of as sexy.

I personally know many women who are late 60s, 70s even a few in their 80s who look great. Yes, some have wrinkles and grey hair, but the ones I speak of take care of themselves, keep good figures, are active and dress in flattering clothing. One in particular I know is about 70 or 71; she is wrinkled, but she is gorgeous. She has a great figure and a full head of thick long gray hair. Sexy as all get-out. A woman in my tap dance class is petite, wears heels and is 87 years old!!!! She is amazing. Attractiveness and sexiness is a lot more than just youth. It is the way one carries themselves, the confidence and ease of being in one's skin that exudes that sexiness. Also, being quick with a smile, and being open and friendly. All of this applies to both men and women.

So I guess I am just trying to say that we should all just make the most of what we are and what we have at any age. Just OWN IT! It is actually quite freeing to become older. I feel better now than I ever did even at age 40. I do what I want without apology. I finally feel free to be "me", and believe me I did not always feel this way.

Look forward to every year, every decade; and don't lament what you feel you no longer have. Celebrate what you DO have - we all have our special attributes! And lastly, no matter what your age or size or condition; there is someone out there who "digs it", I have done my own research, and I assure you it is so!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 12:20 AM

40 posts, read 35,394 times
Very nice Sometimes we all need a little reminder.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:27 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
God or nature...did one very extremely good thing..

the older we get ,,, our eyes or frame of reference also matures..

as a 20 yr old,,, 30, 35 looks old,, as a 35 yr old ... a 35 yr old looks very attractive..
same with 50, and 60 yr olds,,
maybe its just because we've seen or realized the aging of ourselves..

I also believe whatever we think is attractive or pretty or desirable also changes..

to go on a date and to have a good meal and conversation is a win..

Old 09-14-2016, 08:42 AM

997 posts, read 937,850 times
Thank you for posting this. I know this so, and the older you get the more confidant you become. All those insecurities of youth are gone and we are not competing and searching for our perfect mate.

People have different tastes and whether you are young, middle aged or senior, beauty shines.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:35 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
There's probably beauty in every age. We may get a skewed view here as the F&B board tends to have a lot of "gasp, older people can't wear THAT" stuff here, and on a few other boards that tend to attract a lot of people with overly strict demands of the opposite sex, with the underlying message that if you can't make the judger's flag rise, that's not "beauty."

There definitely are older women who make flags fly, and for many reasons, but beyond that, beauty isn't JUST about how large a group of the opposite sex (or for some, the same sex) looks at you and wants to hit it. People forget that.

My Gramma died when I was very young - eight years old. I loved her and Grampa so very much. I remember Gramma as beautiful. I mean literally beautiful, I looked in her face and saw loveliness. She had plenty of deep wrinkles, wore cat's-eye glasses and pin-curled hair. Her face was soooooooooo soft. I used to rub my cheek against hers. Her smile was lovely. It was gentle but somehow lit the room. Her hair waved beautifully from her face. She sat and stood straight, tall, elegant and poised. I thought she was just plain gorgeous. Grampa did too.

Beauty is so many things.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:08 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,000,620 times
A 60 year old doesn't WANT to attract a 20 year old....they have NOTHING in common. Each "age" attracts the age you should be with!

Old 09-15-2016, 01:05 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,441,299 times
At 69 most males look like either my younger brothers, my sons or my grandsons.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:15 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,397,861 times
I love what a young lady said to me several years ago when I was in my early 40's:

"Some women get old with age. Some men just get interesting with age."

Talk about an ego boost!

Old 09-15-2016, 01:23 PM

13,286 posts, read 8,460,871 times
Thank you this message to the public!

Seen beauty in the heart.. That tenders us each.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:28 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I love what a young lady said to me several years ago when I was in my early 40's:

"Some women get old with age. Some men just get interesting with age."

Talk about an ego boost!

What? An ego-boost for whom? Certainly not for women. Are women not interesting? You bet they are! These days, many women have very interesting lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty