Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 07:02 PM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times

Advertisements

WOW! I wish I could get glasses under $100. I wear contacts but I wear progressives as a back-up when I don't want to wear my contact lenses. However the pair I have now are old and the reading part is horrible since my vision changed but when I went to get new ones I was quoted $750! Even at Target they were $460.

For those of you who buy your glasses online do they offer the good quality progressives? How do you try on the glasses to see if they look good on you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 07:45 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,655 times
ONE! My lenses are quite pricey so I can't have more than one at a time. It's not the frames that cost so much, it's the lenses. I have progressives and I usually get a really nice good pair of frames that will last and look good for a few years. Cheaper frames usually show scratches or the paint wears. Because I only have one pair, I'm very careful how and where I put them down. I never put them on a hard surface or on the glass lense. I have folded up piece of flannel on my nightstand where they go to sleep at night!

Old 09-01-2016, 09:35 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
WOW! I wish I could get glasses under $100. I wear contacts but I wear progressives as a back-up when I don't want to wear my contact lenses. However the pair I have now are old and the reading part is horrible since my vision changed but when I went to get new ones I was quoted $750! Even at Target they were $460.

For those of you who buy your glasses online do they offer the good quality progressives? How do you try on the glasses to see if they look good on you?
I get mine from Zenni. I do like the quality. They are progressives. This pair I have on right now were $85 plus shipping, I think.

The ones I got through my eye doctor would have been $650 without insurance and were $450 with insurance. I don't "see" any better through those than I do through these.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:43 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I have one pair because that is all I can afford . I think glasses are overpriced just like most things these days .
If I buy mine through an optician, they are around $450/pair, minimum (and that's even at discount places). I never had a backup when that was my only option, except for the old pair/old prescription, sometimes years old.

If I buy them through a site like Zenni, they are $60-65 a pop. $12.50 of that is frames, the rest is lenses (and tinting if I order prescrip sunglasses). At that price, I can afford to have a backup pair and a tinted pair, which is great, having a small baby who grabs glasses.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:39 PM

997 posts, read 937,850 times
I wear Readers. I can see fine for distance but I cannot see up close at all.

That is my fashion accessory obsession. I have dozens of pairs and I wear the pair that matches my mood. I need them all the time so I wear them on my head when I don't actively need them. It is on/off/on/off all day.

Whenever I want something new, it is a new pair of glasses. I like the glittery rhinestones and they have to be fancy or sparkly in some way, though I do have a lot of dollar store pairs. I like half glasses also because then I can wear them and see over them at the same time. I want them sparky too.

I have gaudy taste and would get real ruby and diamond studded glasses if I could afford them.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:47 AM

39 posts, read 24,393 times
I just have one pair of eyeglasses and sometimes wear contact lens

Old 09-02-2016, 09:24 AM

2,769 posts, read 404,943 times
I have two new pairs of progressives, one new sunglasses with the Rx (boy are they expensive- m300 bucks for a pair of sunglasses!) , two old pair I keep around. I need my glasses. lol

Old 09-02-2016, 09:29 AM

36,421 posts, read 16,034,254 times
I have 2, both progressives, one regular, one Ray Ban sunglasses. yes, very expensive. I'm highly disappointed with my glasses, nose piece always slipping down....plastic frames. I've had them adjusted and tried Nerd Wax. Waiting to get a new pair so I will pick something with a better nose piece, probably, well I don't know, just something with a nose piece that doesn't slip as much, cuZ then I can't see

Old 09-02-2016, 09:31 AM

36,421 posts, read 16,034,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I have one pair because that is all I can afford . I think glasses are overpriced just like most things these days .
Yes, so expensive, geeze

Old 09-02-2016, 10:09 AM

219 posts, read 163,069 times
I have one pair of glasses and one pair of sunglasses. They're both prescription lens and my eyes keep changing so I haven't been able to stock up in several styles yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty