Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 04:46 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,069,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I think hair is very important (except for non-gray color) and when I have a strong reaction to something, I expect that many others will.

That seems to hold true for pigtails.
Do men find women in pigtails sexy? - Democratic Underground
Reactions to pigtails [Archive] - The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards

Maybe dislike is partly because pigtails distract from hair color, face, and other things guys care about. And when men like pigtails, it seems associated with a youth fetish, which probably isn't going to make women feel great.
Hmm the first link seems pretty evenly divided on opinions, and the second I only read down a bit but right from the beginning there were posts about how men find the style sexy.

Why is this bothering you so much? Are people not allowed to like things you don't? You seem really really vested in convincing women that people, in particular men, hate pigtails. Can you just not look at women in pigtails? Wouldn't that help?

Old 09-04-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
After looking at this thread, I put my 61 year old hair in low pigtails. It's adorable and i may well wear it like this out in public!
I'll bet you look super cute!

I put my hair in rope braid pigtails the other night and my husband kept telling me how cute they looked. He also likes the look of a single high pony.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:35 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,947,664 times
I think they can be cute. Depends on the individual.

http://fairuziat.com/fairouz/images/.../halaphoto.jpg

Old 09-05-2016, 01:55 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,905,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
I think they can be cute. Depends on the individual.

http://fairuziat.com/fairouz/images/.../halaphoto.jpg
Mod cut.

Yes, if she's young and has a cute face - but it's still totally unprofessional to have overt pigtails like that and it will run off some men too. A woman in her thirties or older likely will look deranged if she styles her hair that way.

I don't understand why women want to wear pigtails. If the goal is minimal effort, a ponytail would be easier. Nostalgia for childhood shouldn't mean looking like a child.

I'd be just as critical toward a man who wanted to, I don't know, wear a mullet and insist that looks good. (Personally, I think it looks a little better than standard pigtails from the front.) This a fashion forum - it will attract people with opinions, usually responding to subjects started by others.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-09-2016 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:47 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,947,664 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted comment has been deleted).

Quote:
Yes, if she's young and has a cute face - but it's still totally unprofessional to have overt pigtails like that and it will run off some men too. A woman in her thirties or older likely will look deranged if she styles her hair that way.
The singer Fairouz was in her 30s in that picture. Granted, she looked younger than her age for a long while. That might have just been a style she wore for a particular movie for all I know. I thought I had see other photos of her with her hair like that, but a lazy search hasn't turned any up.

I don't normally post on this forum, true. I just saw the question on the side of my screen and thought I would chime in.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-09-2016 at 10:35 AM..

Old 09-05-2016, 06:16 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,415,227 times
I think a mature woman in braids or buns looks nice. Pigtails, on the other hand, do seem distinctly juvenile.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
[snip] Yes, if she's young and has a cute face - but it's still totally unprofessional to have overt pigtails like that and it will run off some men too. A woman in her thirties or older likely will look deranged if she styles her hair that way.

I don't understand why women want to wear pigtails. If the goal is minimal effort, a ponytail would be easier. Nostalgia for childhood shouldn't mean looking like a child.

I'd be just as critical toward a man who wanted to, I don't know, wear a mullet and insist that looks good. (Personally, I think it looks a little better than standard pigtails from the front.) This a fashion forum - it will attract people with opinions, usually responding to subjects started by others.
^ Well, yes, exactly so, and I think a lot of us, or probably all of us, have accepted that some people really don't like this style - and we've said so - ...but from the opposite angle...I'm hearing, "No way, NOBODY likes them" with the "proof" being links to posts that include posts either from men who like them or from women who say men like them.

So I'm left with...

It's all good...I just posted what I did because it does continue surprise me (it shouldn't, by now) how some people freak the heck out when an "older" woman (in this case, older than 17) refuses to "look old." It shouldn't be THAT big a deal. It really shouldn't. Some men and women don't like this style and obviously, some do so the continued foot-stamping and insistence that nobody could possibly like it, it looks ridiculous, juvenile, you can't wear it in a work setting (duh, not sure any of us who ever wear this style said we do) and so on just starts to raise questions after a while. At least IMO. You really have to wonder what's motivating a person to be THAT dead set against an older woman refusing to be put in her place fashion-wise. It boggles the mind.

And no, I don't care if some guy wears a mullet and thinks it looks great, LOL. If he feels great and he loves it...well, rock it.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-09-2016 at 10:35 AM..

Old 09-06-2016, 08:23 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,905,507 times
I didn't say nobody likes pigtails and twin buns - and I'm ignoring false claims from now on.

I suppose those styles irk me because they go against key values:
1) trying to look attractive (without flaunting).
2) wisdom

Those two hair styles to me often seem like flaunting stupidity. It's rare to style hair that way and get more positive than negative reactions (making it a stupid choice). I suppose women might underestimate the negative because most adults are hesitant to directly criticize women and men and women often are too eager to blow smoke up their....

Last edited by goodheathen; 09-06-2016 at 08:43 PM..

Old 09-07-2016, 09:39 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,949,620 times
Quote:
I didn't say nobody likes pigtails and twin buns - and I'm ignoring false claims from now on.

I suppose those styles irk me because they go against key values:
1) trying to look attractive (without flaunting).
2) wisdom

Those two hair styles to me often seem like flaunting stupidity. It's rare to style hair that way and get more positive than negative reactions (making it a stupid choice). I suppose women might underestimate the negative because most adults are hesitant to directly criticize women and men and women often are too eager to blow smoke up their....
Trying to look attractive is a key value?? For me compassion, love, loyalty, appreciation are things that come to my mind as key values but hey if trying to look attractive is a key value to you more power to you.

Personally I think life is too short and people need to have fun and not worry about trying to conform to certain people's standards. While I agree that in the work place it may require one to adhere to certain standards....when one is not working I think they should be free to wear their hair any way they want. I mean Sheesh, it is just hair!

BTW - Curious to know what YOUR hair looks like

Old 09-07-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
Trying to look attractive is a key value??
That's what I was thinking. Key value? Oh my gosh.

One of my key values, and one I appreciate in another, is seeing a person as an individual and allowing him/her his/her own physical freedom of expression (i.e. dress; hair) provided the person is not harming anyone.

So until braids become poisonous I'm thinking this pretty much passes the test.

What I don't consider a key value - or at least a positive key value - is increasingly picking on (upping the ante, nasty/insulting words-wise) someone's looks in order to force the person to look the way I want him/her to look. How on earth could that ever, every be a positive value? In anybody?

This is just me - if it's a friends choice between "Hi! I like to snark insultingly at people until they change their physical looks to satisfy me" and "Hi! I like pigtails," I'm probably choosing the pigtails.

p.s. Moving to more general commentary, people keep saying they don't see grown women in pigtails. I do, around here. Even 50-somethings. They're usually very loose, per the current "grownup" version of pigtails/braids. They might be two, or a single braid - often to one side, or accent braids, often pinned back. Could this partially be regional?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty