Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2016, 07:08 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,134,871 times

Advertisements

Mods; I know this is a duplicate post on my original thread. I just wanted to thank everybody!

There are not enough words to describe what an amazing wedding this was!

My sister was an amazing "mother of the bride"; I would never be able to do what she did.

She literally made everything herself; the decorations, the chair covers, the floating candle & flower centerpeices...

My neice wore a Cathedral length veil; every stitch of which was hand sewn by my sister.

There was a service dog ( I believe for a seizure disorder) in the wedding party procession for the groom's mother, who is Mennonite. (Dressed traditionally in dress with the white cap) I met her at the bar for champagne & let me tell you; that woman can DANCE!

The priest has known our family since before my sister was married & has been there for many baptisms, weddings & funerals. Unfortunatley, one of the funerals was 4 months ago, for my sisters mother-in-law,
for whom my neice was named.

My neices & nephews were raised with Yia-yia (grandmother) at home as is custom in Greek households.
At the end of the service, prior to the "kiss the bride" moment, the priest told my neice "I felt your Grandmother here with us today & I know she would want to be here. Please know that she will be there for you; to guide you in your marriage."

The reception was glorious:

An open bar, meatballs, spanakopita & deviled cucumbers for hor d'oeuvres. Dinner was melt-in-your mouth lamb with lemon rice & sauteed veggies.

Before the dancing started, my neices sisters, brother & mother (my sister) took the floor & sang to her "Lean on Me" & "The Unchained Melody".

Her 17 year old brother, my nephew Pericles, danced the 1st dance with her as my brother-in law (her father) is in a wheelchair.

Before the dance was over, my son, Luke, bolted out of his chair & ran to the dance floor; on his toes, arms out at his sides, eyes closed & nose in the air....& suddenly a recent mystery was revealed to me...

(He's been doing this at home for about a week now & has almost plowed me down several times. When I ask "what in the heck are you doing", of course, I get no answer.)

His iPad was open on the table; on it was a YouTube "Peanuts" video.

Luke, apparently, has been practicing his "moves". His "moves" being "The Snoopy"!

Well, Luke danced "The Snoopy", all night long, as well as making a darn good attempt at our traditional Greek dances, such as the Kalamatiano, Syrto and Hasapiko.

I was able to reconnect with my family; some of whom I have not seen in 20+ years & I have made a personal vow to never, ever allow myself to become so self-isolated again.

Children, in Greek culture are not "optional" but "expected" at all events & functions including weddings & funerals. Everyone; from the very old (my 90 yr old uncle) to the very young (my 5 day old granddaughter, Sophia) was there.

Many attendees did not speak english. My mothers family are Greek Orthodox. My fathers family are Irish Catholic. The groom & his family are Mennonite. The grooms Best Man (& best friend) is black.

The father of the bride is in a wheelchair. The groom's mother was walked down the aisle by her service dog.

My son is Autistic & didn't say a word to anybody but danced the night away with his nose in the air & his eyes closed; doing "The Snoopy".

And this is what made the wedding PERFECT.

(Oh, & my father told me I looked beautiful in my dress! )

Thank you, everyone who followed my thread & for all the great info I got (now I can't wait for the next event I can wear the dress to)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 07:33 PM

5,140 posts, read 4,500,429 times
Wonderful!

Old 07-24-2016, 07:59 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,703,533 times
That sounds great!

Old 07-24-2016, 08:04 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,484,875 times
Wow! Sounds like the most amazing family event. Glad you found the perfect dress. You were beautiful before you put it on. You deserved the great time. Love the Snoopy dance story.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:58 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,252,744 times
Thanks for the recap. And it sounds as if your son had a good time! So all is well.

I love the description of your multicultural family. I really enjoyed reading it, and your great memories showed through very well.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:47 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,368,887 times
That is great! Nice to hear something positive first thing in the morning. Glad you had a good time, you deserve it.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:14 AM

4,994 posts, read 5,317,801 times
That's a beautiful recap. I'm happy you had such a wonderful time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty