Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 06:54 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,127,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
IMHO, Spanx or similar garments are not really that hot and they do smooth out the "lumps & bumps" very well.

Yes, please post on the Caregivers forum if you have questions. While most people are caring for parents or spouses there are many very knowledgeable people who may have the perfect solution to the problem or question that you have asked.

And there are also people like me, a retired special education teacher who is now a full time caregiver, who could offer suggestions based on a wide variety of life experiences.
Thank you & yes; I will post there in the (very) near future!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
You can get a latch for doors that will slow him down if he wants to bolt. My mom uses this one: https://www.corporatetravelsafety.co...door-lock.html so that my dad (who has dementia) can't bolt out of the family restroom when they're at the store. It would only work if there were regular doors on the fitting rooms. She uses it to contain him when they go to the doctor's office too, since otherwise he will visit the patients in the other exam rooms.

Some of the thrift stores I go to like the Goodwill just have a row of unisex fitting rooms. It would definitely be possible to take your son into a fitting room like that, since they're intended to be used by persons of either gender.
Genius. I'm not kidding!

Old 07-21-2016, 07:38 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,222,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Yes; I am "it".

His father is 60 years old & works 14 hrs a day so that I can be "it". He will be at work on Friday until 1am

& we will have to leave by 2pm on Saturday.

He loves this boy but this has been the arrangement for so long now he's somewhat out of touch

as far as the cues that you have to be able to pick up on in order to know what the needs are.

My phone will usually ring within 45 minutes to 1 hour of any attempted errand & many times my son

is hysterical because his dad dosen't understand what it is he needed.

This is not "stay with" caregiving; this is "butt-wiping" caregiving & has been for 12 years now.
You may qualify for some respite care. It won't help this week, but it could in the future. You should look into it.

I wouldn't call a 4 pm wedding "formal." 6pm is the earliest hour that is truly considered a formal wedding. If you are a guest, and not in the wedding, I wouldn't think you'd need to shop at David's Bridal. Something from Marshall's or Ross, or Kohl's should be fine. I can't do strapless bras anymore, so I always look for dresses that I can wear a normal bra with.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:51 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,995,970 times
You pay a premium for dresses at bridal shops. Since money is an issue, and you likely won't be wearing the dress again often, don't go that route. Summer dresses are on sale everywhere now, and yes, thrift stores and consignment shops will save you a bundle. Buy a simple summer dress, and a nice pair of sandals. You'll look perfectly appropriate.

I wouldn't pay for Spanx either, they're expensive. If you don't wear something form-fitting, you can even skip the foundation garments. Have fun!

Old 07-21-2016, 08:02 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,264,326 times
Denver is pretty casual. I mean, you can get a semi-formal dress if you want to and there are sure to be some other women who are pretty dressed up. But I've been to a wedding at a cathedral here in Denver and a dinner/dance reception afterwards and there was one woman wearing a denim dress and several men in jeans with a button shirt but no tie.

Since it sounds like money is pretty tight and your typical lifestyle wouldn't give you much chance to wear it again, I personally wouldn't spend a lot of money on something too fancy.

And given how limited your time is, I would also worry about going to a thrift shop. Of course you might get lucky but doesn't sound like time to try lots of different stores if you had to. I'd try somewhere like Kohls or JC Penney. They have lots of very reasonably priced choices and things are a bit more organized than a thrift store or Ross, etc.

something like this would work - esp with the hot weather we've been having!

Women's Simply Vera Vera Wang Handkerchief Midi Dress

Old 07-21-2016, 08:06 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,222,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Denver is pretty casual. I mean, you can get a semi-formal dress if you want to and there are sure to be some other women who are pretty dressed up. But I've been to a wedding at a cathedral here in Denver and a dinner/dance reception afterwards and there was one woman wearing a denim dress and several men in jeans with a button shirt but no tie.

Since it sounds like money is pretty tight and your typical lifestyle wouldn't give you much chance to wear it again, I personally wouldn't spend a lot of money on something too fancy.

And given how limited your time is, I would also worry about going to a thrift shop. Of course you might get lucky but doesn't sound like time to try lots of different stores if you had to. I'd try somewhere like Kohls or JC Penney. They have lots of very reasonably priced choices and things are a bit more organized than a thrift store or Ross, etc.

something like this would work - esp with the hot weather we've been having!

Women's Simply Vera Vera Wang Handkerchief Midi Dress
Yes, I was going to say that, too.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:14 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,883,446 times
Dresses are fussy. What about a wide-legged pair of solid color palazzo style pants - even with an elastic waist for comfort - and a dressy blouse or tank and jacket combo? The top with a bit of lace, subtle sparkle would work for multiple levels of "fancy."

Old 07-22-2016, 11:35 AM

Well; here I go (again, actually ; I've been at it since 8am!)!

Tried the DAV...nothing except casual sundresses.

We have 2 malls here, each with a Dillards. The one closest to me has morphed into a "Dillards Clearance" & doesn't

open until 12pm.

Of course I didn't know this until I drove there & had already bribed Luke with McDonalds for lunch in return for the

"privlege" of shopping in a mall store.

Something (I don't know what) triggered a major meltdown in a mall 2 years ago while Christmas shopping (he ran

through the mall with his hands over his ears & screaming at the top of his lungs trying to find an exit) & that was the

end of malls for us.

I think I'm stuck with buying McDonalds anyway; but, whatever works at this point!

I also have already stopped at wallyworld for :Razor, shaving cream, tampons, blush, eyeliner, hair-root touchup, hair

clip & teeth-whitening toothpaste. Forgot the eyebrow wax strips...

I just don't want to look like a cavewoman in a great dress (that I don't even have yet)!

Old 07-22-2016, 11:53 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,210,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Well; here I go (again, actually ; I've been at it since 8am!)!

Tried the DAV...nothing except casual sundresses.

We have 2 malls here, each with a Dillards. The one closest to me has morphed into a "Dillards Clearance" & doesn't

open until 12pm.

Of course I didn't know this until I drove there & had already bribed Luke with McDonalds for lunch in return for the

"privlege" of shopping in a mall store.

Something (I don't know what) triggered a major meltdown in a mall 2 years ago while Christmas shopping (he ran

through the mall with his hands over his ears & screaming at the top of his lungs trying to find an exit) & that was the

end of malls for us.

I think I'm stuck with buying McDonalds anyway; but, whatever works at this point!

I also have already stopped at wallyworld for :Razor, shaving cream, tampons, blush, eyeliner, hair-root touchup, hair

clip & teeth-whitening toothpaste. Forgot the eyebrow wax strips...

I just don't want to look like a cavewoman in a great dress (that I don't even have yet)!
Have you tried having your son wear oversized head phone to deaden extraneous noise in unfamiliar environments? Many people use this strategy.

Old 07-22-2016, 01:38 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,917,791 times
You don't need to wax your eyebrows, use a slant-tipped tweezer instead.

Try Ross Dress for Less for your dress. They always have a good selection of party dresses for $30 or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty