Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 07:44 AM

49 posts, read 39,173 times

Advertisements

Preppy vs. Hipster: which style is uglier?

The ugly side of preppy includes monograms, polo shirts, Bermuda shorts, bulky button down tops paired with chunky vintage-style necklaces, grandpa sweaters, old-people clothes. It blows my mind when I see preppy teens wear the EXACT same clothes their grandparents wear. It also blows my mind how this "preppy" look can still remain in fashion 30+ years later.

On the other end of the spectrum, I really hate the hipster style which consists of shredded jeans, dark plaids, shrunken tops that probably wouldn't even fit a toddler, dark and ugly colors, old smelly attire found in the basement of a second-hand store, and anything that kids today will regret wearing five years from now.

Which style do you think is uglier? I can't choose, both styles are equally hideous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 09:57 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Preppy = classic fashion.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:05 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,182,696 times
I'm going to have to go with hipster being uglier. Preppy can be boring, but I wouldn't characterize it as always being ugly.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:39 AM

4,326 posts, read 1,260,756 times
I agree with the OP, equally hideous!

Old 06-30-2016, 10:57 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
I'm curious what the OP considers good fashion sense. If someone knows how to dress themselves, polo shirts, cardigans, khakis are timeless. Hipsters can pull off their own look if they know how to coordinate as well. Some people can pull off a certain look better than others. There is a reason certain styles last and others are just trends. I was never more happy to see an end to "Juicy" being splashed across the asses of suburban moms or skinny jeans phasing out. I would take the preppie or hipster look over cargo shorts and flip-flops any day. Or sports jerseys, hoodies, and saggy-baggy jeans belted below the ass while dining out at restaurants. Don't even get me started on the tacky pinstriped pimp suits worn by athletes and sports commentators, or the Under Armor/yoga pants just-got-out-of-the-gym look.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:27 AM

780 posts, read 678,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarMaDraMa View Post

The ugly side of preppy includes monograms, polo shirts, Bermuda shorts, bulky button down tops paired with chunky vintage-style necklaces, grandpa sweaters, old-people clothes. It blows my mind when I see preppy teens wear the EXACT same clothes their grandparents wear. It also blows my mind how this "preppy" look can still remain in fashion 30+ years later.

On the other end of the spectrum, I really hate the hipster style which consists of shredded jeans, dark plaids, shrunken tops that probably wouldn't even fit a toddler, dark and ugly colors, old smelly attire found in the basement of a second-hand store, and anything that kids today will regret wearing five years from now.

Which style do you think is uglier? I can't choose, both styles are equally hideous!
I believe it overall depends on who wears it and how it's worn.

I've seen preppy outfit looking really smart and clean.
I've seen hipster outfit that is well thought of and well put together.

I've seen preppy outfit that still managed to look slobby.
I've seen hipster outfit that looks very messy and confusing to look at.

Pretty is timeless.
Hipster is basically old pieces, put together.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:56 PM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times
At the age of 62 my go-to nice casual is preppy. Same when I was 22, come to think of it

I'd feel like a real dumbass if I tried to go hipster.

My wife would be like, WTH

Old 06-30-2016, 02:25 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarMaDraMa View Post

Any style taken to extremes can turn out odd or even ugly. But really who cares of someone is too preppy or too hip? These people aren't hurting you.

This is a case where mental energy spent hating on how people style themselves is better spent on solving your own problems or at least thinking deeper thoughts. This is my opinion.

Old 06-30-2016, 02:37 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
I think prep isn't bad by any means but it can be annoying. I dress that way for work or family occasions otherwise it is jeans and a tee. I could never do hipster even if I act like one

Old 06-30-2016, 03:19 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
I would look like a fool in skinny jeans, so hipster gets my vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty