Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 04:38 PM

584 posts, read 2,165,368 times

Advertisements

Do any of you fold ALL of your clothes vs hanging some? I can't figure out what should be folded, hung, or what. I want to simplify my clothes and closet. It is becoming too much that it feels like you have nothing to wear. I don't really want to part with them, because they have served me well in the past. But I also think some people have it easier when they stick to only 3 colors, or only casual wear, etc. I need help with the clothes situation, I've already gone through every single thing and gotten rid of SO much stuff. It still seems like a lot. Don't know if I should pack some of it away or if that is just another way to clutter your house. I also don't know if it is better for your clothes to be hung or folded. I figured that hanging sits there 24 hours stretching them, but folding them all takes a lot of time. Any tips or advice or how to's or experience will be helpful, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 04:48 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,893,675 times
I dont fold or hang- i shove them in the drawers. I hang hubbys though and the kids fold theirs.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:21 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,417,770 times
It depends on your closet space. Hang the in season clothes in there. Put your intimates and nightwear in a dresser. Put sweaters in a drawer unless they are wool, in which case store them so moths can't eat them. Either find another closet to put out of season clothes in for the summer, or store them in a bin, or in underbed storage, or in some other place.

Decide on how many hangers can fit in your closet without crowding the clothes too much. You can include special hangers that accommodate several garments. Keep just that number of hangers in the closet. When you buy something, if you don't have a hanger for it, force yourself to throw something out or donate it. None of us needs an unlimited number of clothing items.

You might want to find a drawer for shorts.

I hang almost everything now, because I have a large closet. But once I have too many items for the number of hangers I have, I either store something or get rid of it.

I even prefer hanging tee shirts.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:23 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,303,258 times
I hang everything I can. They wrinkle less that way.

I have jeans, yoga pants and t-shirts folded in drawers.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:05 PM

11,495 posts, read 27,030,270 times
I hang everything that I'm going to wear out of the house, because they wrinkle less. Exercise clothes, pajamas, house clothes and underwear get folded in drawers.

I hang up my husband's exercise clothes because he can't find them otherwise.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:10 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,347,332 times
I hang everything too. It's the only way I can find stuff.
My dressy clothes are hung in a spare bedroom closet. My daily clothes are hung in the bedroom closet and the only thing I keep in the drawers is what I wear to bed and undies.

If you have clothes that you don't wear often or seasonal clothes that need to be hung and put away somewhere.... stores sell portable closets that you could store in your garage or basement. This is an example. They're pretty cheap too.

https://www.amazon.com/Whitmor-6822-...oset+on+wheels

Old 06-10-2016, 03:17 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,985,254 times
Well, you put a number of questions out there, but as for hanging versus folding, the only hard-and-fast rule is that you should NOT hang your knits. They will stretch.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:26 PM

219 posts, read 164,306 times
I fold some and hang some. Sweaters and most pants are folded, shirts, skirts, dresses hung. I just went and spent 5 hours (some of it was of course looking at everything I discovered and hadn't seen for awhile or looking on social media) reorganizing my closet and dresser earlier this week. Moved my winter clothes to the dresser and resorted my spring/summer/fall clothes. Most of it I do hang though, even though I hate taking the time to hang clothes.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:41 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,417,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
Well, you put a number of questions out there, but as for hanging versus folding, the only hard-and-fast rule is that you should NOT hang your knits. They will stretch.
I hang knits all the time. I use tubular hangers, and I have not had problems with stretching. I know that we have been told not to hang them, but I always have, and I have never had problems. If I had expensive cashmere or other very fine garments, I might find a drawer for them though.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:41 PM

33,105 posts, read 36,831,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I hang knits all the time. I use tubular hangers, and I have not had problems with stretching. I know that we have been told not to hang them, but I always have, and I have never had problems. If I had expensive cashmere or other very fine garments, I might find a drawer for them though.
It depends on the type and weight of knit. I have a sweater jacket which which I always hang and it's never been a problem. It's a very tight knit and not too heavy. On the other hand, the lacy, open, cotton blend cardigan would be ruined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty