Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 04:21 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,346,794 times

Advertisements

I don't notice smaller across the board, but I do notice that sizing is much less consistent than it used to be, even within brands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 08:27 AM

17,567 posts, read 39,228,192 times
Decent quality shoes run the same for me. I wore 8.5 as a teen, and wear that now, in an open shoe or sandal, I wear a 9 if closed, pointed toe or boot. The only difference for me is that my feet ran a bit narrower when young. They are still narrow, but I prefer the B or medium width now.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:36 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,387,824 times
Thanks for all the responses. I guess I'm just odd. My feet are shrinking instead of getting larger as I age. I will add, and I suspect those that wear larger sizes will understand, the availability of 5's and 5.5's is definitely getting smaller. Some months ago I needed a pair of shoes for a wedding. Options in my town are limited, and I didn't have time to drive to a larger city. I walked into DSW, looked around for a bit, until the clerk told me they don't carry 5 and 5.5's anymore. Won't be going back there again. I guess I need to be better organized when I need something new.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:50 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,363,871 times
Since becoming an adult I've always worn anywhere from a 6 1/2 to a 7 1/2 depending on whether the shoe was a sandal or pointy toe high heel. Funny thing is even when I gained 30 pounds I stayed the same shoe size. Even my ring size only went up from a 4 1/2 to a 5. I keep all my weight in my torso and thighs.

I haven't noticed vanity sizing in shoes, otherwise I would be a 6 by now.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:14 AM

18,544 posts, read 18,818,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Shoes? No. LOL.

Clothes: of course. I was just recalling (and typing about) how in high school, I was briefly a size 7 at 112 pounds. I was back down to a 5 at 105 pounds and I wasn't a 3 until I was down to 95 lbs. I was tiny...people used to tell me if I stood sideways and stuck my tongue out I'd look like a zipper. Today I hear the comparative women's sizing as, for example, "I'm 155 pounds and a size 4." What the what...?

But shoes? Nope, definitely haven't noticed that! Indeed, when I gained weight I noticed my shoe size increased and when I lost weight the size went down again.
Do you think feet just get broader and we think we need to up the size instead of broader... mmm I wonder... as my feet are definitely bigger now.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:15 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,077,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Do other females think women's shoes now have vanity sizing similar to women's clothing?

For years I wore a solid 6, maybe 6.5 depending on style. About 5-6 years ago I began to notice that 6's were too large. I swam in 6.5's. I often can't buy shoes unless I go to a very large department store as few places carry 5.5's or 5's. I've even resorted to the girls department for very casual, cheap shoes, but that doesn't work for something nicer. Shoes are one item I don't like to buy online as I just can't trust the sizing. (plus I usually wait until the last minute if I need new shoes so I often run out of time).

I thought one's feet grew larger as they aged--not smaller.
Interesting title to your thread about 'vanity' when it comes to a woman's shoe size. Not sure how that would play out. . .Would a woman go around telling others her shoe size to appear more in style; to let others know she does not have large feet, or ?

If a gal told me (in a proud tone) about her shoe size, I'd more than likely just give her the deer-in-the-headlights - meaning, 'who cares?'

Old 06-08-2016, 08:31 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,119,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Interesting title to your thread about 'vanity' when it comes to a woman's shoe size. Not sure how that would play out. . .Would a woman go around telling others her shoe size to appear more in style; to let others know she does not have large feet, or ?

If a gal told me (in a proud tone) about her shoe size, I'd more than likely just give her the deer-in-the-headlights - meaning, 'who cares?'
"Vanity" doesn't mean "bragging"

It means you feel good about yourself for superficial reasons.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:46 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,069,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Do you think feet just get broader and we think we need to up the size instead of broader... mmm I wonder... as my feet are definitely bigger now.
Well, yes. That was the case for me.

Then when I lost weight, they got narrower again.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:51 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,069,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post

It's internal - and it's proven (with clothes, not with shoes AFAIK): a significant percentage of women will buy consistently from the clothier whose garments show her a smaller size than the next brand does. It's not a matter of the woman telling her friends. It's about how that smaller number makes her feel about herself.

It's like the man clinching his belt well underneath his pregnancy belly so he can tell himself he's "still a size (whatever) waist." He's not telling all his friends, it's more a matter of him being able to tell himself - with that number as supporting evidence - that he must still "look pretty darned good!"

Old 06-08-2016, 12:57 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,077,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
"Vanity" doesn't mean "bragging"

It means you feel good about yourself for superficial reasons.
I suppose if one requires the size of their shoes/garments to make them feel better about themselves, that says a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty