Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 01:35 PM

6,622 posts, read 4,940,739 times

Advertisements

What I mean is, do you indicate something to another person (or group) that is a more acceptable opinion about beauty than you actually believe? That could be in person or online, even on this forum. Let's leave out the situation of "Honey, do I look fat in this?" Someone else mentioned men who claim not to "mind" short hair on women, but in practice go for long-haired women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 03:03 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,527,748 times
I might be open to the idea that there is a wider range of "acceptable beauty" but still have more narrow preferences. The example of hair length on women is a great example of that. For example, I might think men can look great in a wide variety of hair styles/colors, but tend to prefer darker, straighter hair over red, curly hair. Doesn't mean I don't think men can be attractive with red, curly hair (they can), but I'm more attracted to dark, straight hair. I think preferences are not the same as a general opinion about beauty. It's all subjective, anyway and I wouldn't consider that as "political correctness" per se.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:00 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,396,735 times
I can't think of any instances.

There are probably more people saying "that tattoo looks great on you" than really believe it... but those little white lies aren't really related to PC.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:28 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,050,227 times
There is not "politically correct" way to determine "beauty"....if you like it, it's beautiful and if you say so...great! Folks need to get a grip..if someone compliments you...say "Thank you"...that's all you need to do.

If you don't like it...say, "Thank you", anyway...it's only polite!

Old 01-30-2016, 11:42 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,767,668 times
I like what I like. I look at the whole package when in comes to beauty. It is hard to express general opinions as one trait in a person is not going to make them less or more beautiful then someone else without comparing the whole packages. Ex I prefer men with dark hair, but that does not mean if given the choice between a blonde or darker hair man I would always prefer the dark haired man. It would depend on the whole package. The politic correct attitude is not so much a cause of a filter if you are not really that harsh towards other people's physical appearence in real life.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:10 AM

65 posts, read 56,386 times
Common courtesy and manners are not "political correctness." The term "politically correct" really means "unfairly deprived of the perceived 'right' to be rude, insensitive and offensive, while retaining the perceived 'right' to cry foul when something offends ME." Would you tell someone their new baby looks like a troll, even if you thought that privately, because you refuse to give in to "political correctness"? I hope not.

But saying that, I do believe that men often say what they think they're supposed to say about women. Such as "I prefer you without makeup," yet every woman they check out is fully made up... they don't even notice women without it. Or "I prefer women with meat on their bones," while every woman they check out is slim.

And yes, I myself do what you described. To be nice, I will often agree that someone's figure is "healthy" or "curvy" when privately I think the person is overweight. I am the exact opposite when it comes to my own figure, though. I am brutally realistic, while most women tend to be defensive and insist their fat rolls are "curves." My fat rolls are fat rolls, and they're not sexy. While I reserve the right to say that about myself, I wouldn't say it if someone asked me to assess their own figure. That's not "political correctness," it's just manners and kindness.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:13 PM

8,761 posts, read 9,510,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel2032 View Post
Common courtesy and manners are not "political correctness." The term "politically correct" really means "unfairly deprived of the perceived 'right' to be rude, insensitive and offensive, while retaining the perceived 'right' to cry foul when something offends ME." Would you tell someone their new baby looks like a troll, even if you thought that privately because you refuse to give in to "political correctness"? I hope not.

In most instances this is exactly the case.

But saying that, I do believe that men often say what they think they're supposed to say about women. Such as "I prefer you without makeup," yet every woman they check out is fully made up... they don't even notice women without it. Or "I prefer women with meat on their bones," while every woman they check out is slim.

^Often true

And yes, I myself do what you described. To be nice, I will often agree that someone's figure is "healthy" or "curvy" when privately I think the person is overweight. I am the exact opposite when it comes to my own figure, though. I am brutally realistic, while most women tend to be defensive and insist their fat rolls are "curves." My fat rolls are fat rolls, and they're not sexy. While I reserve the right to say that about myself, I wouldn't say it if someone asked me to assess their own figure. That's not "political correctness," it's just manners and kindness.
Here I take offense, my rolls are indeed curves, you have to curve your hand around these rolls to get to from one roll to the other. Hemph! j/k No seriously, I call it as it is, fat, rolls, fat curves it's all good.

But overall people just want to have a reason to verbally discriminate or show their displeasure for types they don't approve of one way or the other and make it known as often as possible is why these threads keep popping up and they usually end up being closed. Generally,not always, but too often, race baiting or some other type of hate speech, in general, to get their mental release for the day.

Last edited by TRosa; 01-31-2016 at 12:40 PM..

Old 01-31-2016, 12:25 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,715,302 times
I never understand why people are so rude towards other peoples outlooks. If you don't like, you don't have to connect with but you don't either have to hurt people by saying what on their looks does not please you or could be better.

People could not shop the look that they would like to have, everyone got their looks from their parents. Thats it.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:41 AM

6,622 posts, read 4,940,739 times
I once was put on the spot in front of a hundred people to compliment a female stranger on her appearance when she wasn't attractive. That was awkward. I sort of complied.

Over time, I learned to be vague and withholding about preferences in dating situations. No talk about size of anything, for example. "I just want someone attractive, doesn't have to be gorgeous," while neglecting to mention I mean the 7-8 range, with maybe Dakota Johnson as the minimum (I'd be looks-matched with that, I think).

Old 02-01-2016, 03:51 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,363,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel2032 View Post
Common courtesy and manners are not "political correctness." The term "politically correct" really means "unfairly deprived of the perceived 'right' to be rude, insensitive and offensive, while retaining the perceived 'right' to cry foul when something offends ME." Would you tell someone their new baby looks like a troll, even if you thought that privately, because you refuse to give in to "political correctness"? I hope not.

Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty