Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2016, 09:24 AM

878 posts, read 1,222,830 times

Advertisements

*GRAIL, not grain-- C-D won't allow me to edit the thread title, argh!

Relatively new resident of a cold climate (MN)-- and I'm looking for what might be the holy grail-- a thin, light and mobile long coat that is also (very) warm.

My requirements:

-mid thigh or longer length (prefer knee or just below length)
-preferably has a double zipper so I can sit comfortably
-fashionable-ish (I work from home and I spend most of my free time in a hockey rink-- so while I don't need something uber stylish, it needs to look nice and be flattering-- well, as figure flattering-- well, as figure flattering as a coat can be!)

I'm petite (5'3") but busty, so I prefer something that has either an adjustable waist or a belt-- and/or has a fitted/feminized shape. I'm flexible on price-- I'd love to spend $250ish, but as I wear a coat daily for 4-5 months a year, I'm wiling to spend more, if need be.

I currently have a high quality, heavy coat now (from Rudsak-- made in Canada) that is very warm and is pretty stylish, but I feel my movements are constrained when I wear it, so I often opt to wear a lighter, shorter coat that while isn't nearly as warm, allows me to move much more freely.

Part of the issue might be that I was raised in a subtropical environment (South Florida)-- so I'm not used to wearing winter gear daily, if at all.

My biggest complaints is that I hate the way driving in a heavy coat feels (I almost feel claustrophobic if I wear it while driving-- and while whenever possible I take it off while driving, when you get into a car when it's 10* out, not wearing a coat, at least at first, isn't a great option!) I think the biggest issue is that I feel as though my arms can't move freely-- so perhaps something with less insulated arms, but a warm torso would work.

If there's something out there that would both keep me warm and not make me feel as though I'm the Michelin Man, I'd LOVE to hear about it! Thanks!

Last edited by ellysbelly; 01-27-2016 at 09:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 03:12 PM

5,208 posts, read 4,539,536 times
A light down coat like the ones below:

Women's Ultralight 850 Down Coat | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

Women

Lauren Ralph Lauren Stand Collar Packable Down Coat | Nordstrom

1 Madison Belted Down Coat with Genuine Fox Fur Trim | Nordstrom

There are lots of other coats on those sites to check out. They're all great quality, with sale prices.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:57 PM
Status: "Civility needs to make a return." (set 19 days ago)

4,736 posts, read 3,314,594 times
My favorite winter coat is a packable down coat. It is super lightweight and comfortable, yet it is warmer than any winter coat that I have ever owned. It also came with a little storage bag and can be rolled up small for travel.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:07 PM

102,583 posts, read 109,424,702 times
Aside from down, you'd be looking at cashmere. They're expensive, but at this time of year you can find them at deep discounts. They're warm and lightweight, and look great.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:55 PM

878 posts, read 1,222,830 times
Thanks, all-- I'll check out the options that you each mentioned-- much appreciated!

Old 01-30-2016, 12:35 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,418,139 times
Eddie Bauer has a few varieties of winter coats that are now on sale. If lightweight is most important, down is the way to go. EB has the trinity down parka, also the superior down stadium parka, and the wind foil elite soft shell trench. Although, if you have a larger bust line, straight streamlined styles would probably be way more flattering than quilted styles.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:23 PM

32,860 posts, read 48,901,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellysbelly View Post
*GRAIL, not grain-- .......
Oh, I dunno. Wheat color is a good color for a coat.

I just wear a Columbia ski jacket with the zip apart layers. But if you want a waistline belt, maybe an expensive trench coat. Burberry makes a nice one. Then layer with a nice looking sweater. You'd be plenty warm and stylish.

I had an alpaca overcoat at one point in my life. You could find an alpaca overcoat, if your budget will stretch that far. They are very light, handsome, and warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty