Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 10:08 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,008,833 times

Advertisements

I have both a North Face and Columbia down jacket. Thin but super warm. I wear either of those if it's physically snowing usually, like if I'm out shoveling or walking out in it, and I stick with a North Face fleece otherwise. If it's very cold, like below 20 especially with wind chill, I may go out in the down jacket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 10:08 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,702,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post

I don't know if others are like me, but I can't stand feeling the bulk of my coat when I'm driving, so unless it's extremely cold, I take my coat off as soon as I get in the car. I was that way even when I lived in the colder climes of AK and MT, so I always sat in my car coatless and freezing until it warmed up just so I didn't feel like the Michelin man behind the wheel.

You could keep a "car-double sweater" or so because if you are getting alone into accident and cannot get your jacket on, you will die sooner. They recommend dressing warmly at car just because of this risk.

Old 01-23-2016, 03:58 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,300,865 times
I usually wear about 4 layers in winter, but the type of layer also matters.

I usually wear a long sleeve button up shirt above a tshirt when I'm inside, and then i'll add a fleece and a jacket once outside.

In moderate cold I usually wear a soft shell with a hoodie under it, and when it gets colder I usually replace the soft shell with a long wool coat or with my long fjallraven parka with fake fur. The hoodie can be replaced by a pile fleece or a wool sweater.

I actually found out that wearing 100% wool makes a great deal of difference with wearing a cotton sweater or even something that's basically synthetic with little wool in it. Wool is warmer and more breathable, and it does not retain humidity, which is convenient when you live in a damp winter climate like here.

I'd say a wool sweater with a lined soft-shell jacket gets me through most of winter. I pull out the long parka when it gets really cold (say, below 5c high for here with subfreezing low) or if I have to stay out in the cold for a long time.

Also, I never wear a jacket / coat in the car.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:09 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,373,362 times
A quilted, natural down "Laundry by Shelli Segal" jacket. It's a longer style, that goes past the hips, with a belt. Not quite a coat, kind of a 3/4 version of a coat. Nice large hood with it.

If you're going for warmth in sub-zero temperatures, nothing beats a quilted down jacket, or coat. Could be either natural down or synthetic. They do hold heat, however, so if the temperature is above zero, and you're wearing the jacket for an extended time, you might find yourself overheating.

I prefer lightweight quilted jackets to heavier wool styles, but wool is also quite warm.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:10 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,373,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
You could keep a "car-double sweater" or so because if you are getting alone into accident and cannot get your jacket on, you will die sooner. They recommend dressing warmly at car just because of this risk.
A fleece jacket is incredibly warm. Makes a great second (middle) layer, so it'd be a fine choice to keep as a part of a kit in a car during the winter months.

Just editing to add: With a quilted down coat, I find that layering underneath isn't even necessary. I can wear, say, a thin wool sweater underneath the coat and that works, even in -30C temperatures.

If the outside layer is wool, several middle layers will be necessary. Wool retains heat, but most wool coats that I've tried don't do a great job of blocking wind chill.

Last edited by Ottawa2011; 01-23-2016 at 08:24 PM..

Old 01-24-2016, 01:18 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,702,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
A fleece jacket is incredibly warm. Makes a great second (middle) layer, so it'd be a fine choice to keep as a part of a kit in a car during the winter months.

Just editing to add: With a quilted down coat, I find that layering underneath isn't even necessary. I can wear, say, a thin wool sweater underneath the coat and that works, even in -30C temperatures.

If the outside layer is wool, several middle layers will be necessary. Wool retains heat, but most wool coats that I've tried don't do a great job of blocking wind chill.

No, please people, don't use fleece

fleece fibres travels into waters with every laundry time and fibres kills.

Is Your Fleece Killing the Ocean? | Mother Jones

Old 01-24-2016, 03:00 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,490,145 times
I have several down jackets from JC Penney and Eddie Bauer. These are warm and are what I wear most of the winter..

A couple years ago I decided to get a really warm extreme weather parka and started researching online. It had to be very warm, it had to come in tall sizes, and, I hoped, a sale price. I ended up with a Cabela's Alaska Down Parka at half price about $150. Later on a black Friday sale I picked up a Eddie Bauer Superior Down Parka. These parka see only a few days use each winter.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:38 PM

251 posts, read 175,614 times
Carhartt heavy duty lined jacket or my old M-65 field jacket with a liner.

Nothing else comes close and is as durable.

I'd have holes or burns in those lightweight "ski" nylon jackets before noon.

carhartt jacket od green pics - Bing images

Old 01-27-2016, 02:51 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,408,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey River View Post
Carhartt heavy duty lined jacket or my old M-65 field jacket with a liner.

Nothing else comes close and is as durable.

I'd have holes or burns in those lightweight "ski" nylon jackets before noon.

carhartt jacket od green pics - Bing images
My DH and sons wear those in cold weather, but if there's snow they wear snow gear.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:01 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,408,694 times
I have a bunch of Eddie Bauer coats for casual wear:
Long parka
Down Jacket (I have this in a couple of colors)
Parka for when shoveling

And I have a few dressier wool & cashmere coats for when dressed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty