Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 12:20 PM

4,608 posts, read 5,518,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
does a military field jacket still look good for casual wear? or does it look kind of cheap or low class?

I dont see very many people wearing the old M65 field coats anymore, I have a Olive Green one that I seldom wear.

I never wear camoflage, just green or maybe a tan color
I think its definitely a regional thing, and it most certainly doesnt really belong in any "fashion" category. Its just plain jacket. The jacket itself isnt really "cheap or low class". That would depend on the other stuff the dude is wearing that would make it look that way, you know like camo or Cat deisel hat or something red necky.

I actually like this M65 jacket but again, its something that I would probably only wear sparingly:

https://www.armyuniverse.com/images/8644.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 01:18 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,426,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
You don't have to buy "actual" surplus field jackets. You can buy this style at places ranging from H&M to the Gap to Nordstrom.

Also, it's pretty much a given that ALL the garments in fashion shoots are going to be pinned and styled as needed.

Military fashion- particularly outerwear- filtering into mainstream style is certainly nothing new. I mean, look at the popularity of the pea coat!
I think I alluded to military style field jackets. A lot of those in the images I saw looked like faux field jackets.

The OP wondered if wearing field jackets was "low class." I mentioned that these were pressed and styled to look great because a sloppy old field jacket, whether the real thing or not, is not going to look like the images I saw. And I couldn't tell if the OP was posting about real military field jackets, as in a old one he had from his days in the service, or if he was thinking about buying one.

Old 02-19-2016, 01:45 PM

251 posts, read 176,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
the age group also has an effect on how good a M65 or military field coat looks on a person, if the wearers are young college aged kids up to around 30, it looks fashionable

but if the wearer is an older guy like over 50 - 60's age, wearing a military field coat makes them look like an old veteran wearing his field jacket from his military service, like a Vietnam veteran.

I think it looks better on younger guys
He (hipster) under 30 also looks fake as hell wearing it.

My last name and branch on mine matches.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty