Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 05:50 PM

342 posts, read 438,847 times

Advertisements

It seems $100 shoes does not give you the quality these days, not even close. You need to pay a few hundred to get the quality. I paid $100 for Michael Kors flats last spring and I cannot wear them because inner construction is so poor, all inside seams are very rough, just awful. I thought I will get used but no, I can not walk in them for more than 5 min. I should have taken them back right away. Probably they will not take them back now....I will try. They are just unwearable!
I was in Las Vegas recently and walked into Bottega Veneta store to try their flats/ballerinas. OMG what is the difference. It is smooth like a baby skin inside. Price tag is around $800. Now I am trying to find those shoes for better price on e-bay lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 07:28 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,772,584 times
I have shoes ranging from $50 to $500.
Lots of them are painful to break in (non-sneakers ones), especially since I have a tendency not to wear socks. (Yes people, no socks) in the summer.
The worst offender are Cole Haan and recently my new Bottega Veneta. (PS: Aquamarin's post above).
For more casual shoes, Sperry is the worst offender. Maybe because I have flat feet but at the end of the day, the bottom of my feet hurt everywhere.

Recently I got couple pairs of Clarks. I never really cared for them because the brand has this stigma of old people's shoes.
Anyway, they are cheap and surprise surprise, they are super comfortable!
I did not even have to break them.

Last edited by asiandudeyo; 02-19-2016 at 07:36 AM..

Old 02-21-2016, 12:33 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,836,800 times
I don't wear a lot of brand name shoes, because the idiot companies don't make what I want in my size. Like; there's a company, I can't remember the name offhand, but Journey sells their brand, and they make these boots, I believe are called J30s, and they come no bigger than a 13. Same with Converses new shoes, that came out last year, those real nice hitops.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:10 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,231,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Shoes only have so many "miles" in them. My work shoes are Wolky's and Naot's. I never wear the same shoes two days in a row. I am on my feet for eight hours a day, I don't play around with my feet, they are the only pair I get for life.
I replace my shoes every 8-12 months, regardless how they look. I think the "shock absorbers and supports" only last for so many miles.
Yes to all, although I do try to stretch things by wearing things too long. When I worked, I tried to vary my shoes, as you do. It seemed like the shoes retained their shape better and lasted longer. I was on my feet a lot at my work too. Nothing is worse than trying to be "professional" when your feet are a source of continuing pain.

I have been recently been told that the materials in athletic shoes break down over time, and even if they aren't being worn often, should be replaced every 6 months. I don't know if that is true, actually. Replacing every 6 months if they aren't being worn every day, sounds expensive. But I do know that I tend to wear my shoes too long. Your post was a reminder that I need to replace a couple or three pairs.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:54 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,739,375 times
Default Do you live in Orlando Florida????

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
I have never been much into expensive brand name shoesand weather they are sneakers or other types of shoes. I am perfectly happy with shoes from Walmart or kmart but I look around and it seems like everyone else is wearing Nike, Reebok, New Balance, Timberland and other brands. I feel like I am the only one who wears cheaper shoes. I have owned a few brand name shoes before but I haven't found them to last me much longer or be that much better. I would not mind buying a brand name pair of shoes but I don't like paying those prices. Do you only wear brand name shoes or do you also buy cheaper ones.

If you usernames suggests your location .... you can get brand names shoes crazy cheap in Florida all you got to do is hit the outlet mall. You can likely get brand name decent shoes for the same price at Walmart. I personally do not like Walmart. You get not so great quality for the same price you could get something better quality if you just knew where and when to shop.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:07 PM

98 posts, read 115,389 times
I wear rubber-soled cowboy boots 99% of the time. It's easy to justify paying $200 for a pair of boots that you can wear daily and have re-soled every 2 years for $50.

For sneakers I usually buy the previous year's fashions at the Puma outlet. All-black Puma Romas look pretty much the same year to year.

As for dress shoes, I have a pair of Johnston & Murphy wingtips that should last for all of my life.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:25 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,759,033 times
Only brand names. Always. I need arch support and cushioning.

For northern winters I wear boiled wool Stegman clogs. The soles are made of cork so they are very resilient. I also wear "duck shoes"--rubber shoes with gum soles for rain.

My comfortable non winter shoes are Keen. For dressier I have Naot. Merrill and Sketchers are good too but they don't fit me right.

I know what size I take in each brand and buy them cheap on ebay.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:58 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,231,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatriz bates View Post
I Think comfort is more important than name. I always go with comfort.
Yes, comfort! But if you learn which brands are likely to give you the comfort you want, you can zero in on those first. Many of us have learned which brands are likely to fit and be comfy, so naturally we can recommend them.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:37 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,410,508 times
My go-to for dress shoes are Aerosoles. They are comfortable, plus they have tread, which keeps me from slipping all over the place. You can find good deals on Zulily.com or DSW if they have them in your area. I buy Riekers for their winter boots. Comfortable, yet fashionable. I have a couple of pairs of Clarks and Acorn, too. For summer, I swear by Teva Mush sandals.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:54 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,875,517 times
I try to buy good shoes as I keep them forever. I have Merrills, Johnson and Murphy, Bass and Timberland. These brands have outlets near me. I also have some dress shoes by Bally and Cole-Haan. Never bought shoes at Walmart or Target. I did have some Tsubos which were great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty