Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 03:46 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,310,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
I work in jewelry, but Im not engaged/married. I noticed a lot of people start out wearing them religiously, even cry if they need sent out to be sized. But then a lot of our customers who have been married a while bring their wedding sets in for inspections (for the warranty) and they haven't been worn since the last time. Arthritis seems to be a huge reason, along with just they work with their hands a lot, they don't fit, they spin, etc. Which there are solutions to all these issues. But some just aren't huge on wearing jewelry period.
For the knuckle issue, some can have an arthritic shanks put in. They can be pricey, but they are great. We just did one for an older couple (married 60 years) and they were both so happy she could wear her diamond again.
To each their own though, it really doesn't mean anything. I mean..I have to romanticize it where I work, but in the end love is love. You don't need to drop 20k on a ring to prove anything.
I always wear my pretties, but I was never into it until I started working with it.
there used to be some sort of thing that would make a ring fit that was too large -- a flexible piece that was attached around the shank. Do they still do that? I have my father's Masonic ring and I would wear it on occasion but it doesn't fit and due to the engraving I don't want it sized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 05:41 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,086,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
there used to be some sort of thing that would make a ring fit that was too large -- a flexible piece that was attached around the shank. Do they still do that? I have my father's Masonic ring and I would wear it on occasion but it doesn't fit and due to the engraving I don't want it sized.
Yeah, ring guards is what we call them at work. They aren't long term or anything, but good for situations like yours. Ours our gold (white or yellow) and wrap around the shank like you said. They make clear rubber ones, I think walmart might have them, but I don't think they look as nice. Or fit as nice.
They can be hard to fit on big wide rings, like class rings/masonic rings, but they come in different sizes.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:10 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,310,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
Yeah, ring guards is what we call them at work. They aren't long term or anything, but good for situations like yours. Ours our gold (white or yellow) and wrap around the shank like you said. They make clear rubber ones, I think walmart might have them, but I don't think they look as nice. Or fit as nice.
They can be hard to fit on big wide rings, like class rings/masonic rings, but they come in different sizes.
Thanks! I don't want to do anything permanent so I can one day hand it down to my sister's son. He never knew his Poppy... he was born one year +2 days after my dad's death.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:23 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,408,238 times
I have my great grandmother's ring that I often wear on my left ring finger. It is a classic. I get so many compliments. It was in my jewelry box for 40 years, suddenly one day I got it sized and cleaned. It is beautiful. I think the ring on my left finger is a symbol. It doesn't really matter what ring it is. I would feel naked without a ring on my left ring finger. It has been 34 years.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:27 PM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,671,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I am not a fan of wearing much jewelry, particularly rings. I have never, ever worn any jewelry while sleeping, showering, at the gym, when traveling in many foreign countries etc.

Additionally, I only wear my wedding ring when I am fairly presentable or going out for the evening. I would say I only wear my ring about a third of the time during daytime hours. I even have a plain gold band to wear when I don't want the bling, but still rarely even wear that.

Any other ladies like this? FWIW, I am 44 and have been married 14 years. It doesn't bother DH at all if I am not wearing my ring.
My wedding and engagement rings are safely tucked away in a safety deposit box. I wear a variety of rings some of which look like a wedding ring, but there are too many robbers around and I don't want my wedding ring stolen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty