Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 08:37 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,415,453 times

Advertisements

I love stretch denim - it hugs the body and is more comfortable as long as you don't try to go too small. Also, you can wear it all day and even multiple days without it stretching out and going baggy on you like 100% cotton will. I hate feeling like I need a belt by noon to hitch up my jeans!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 08:43 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,134,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I war Levi's and they have some stetch. I need them to have a little give. I have too much junk in the trunk compared to my waist. And jeans never look right if you try to get them tailored (beyond hemming).

Which makes me wonder which Levi's don't have any stretch in women's jeans?

Anyway, they start to stretch too much can on the second day (I try to avoid washing my jeans) so I tend to stick them in the freezer. Helps with making them keep their shape.
You need to wash your jeans, just don't put them in the dryer.

By not washing them, the oils and dirt on your body break down the fibers of the denim and make them wear faster.

Freezing does nothing but wear down the fibers of your denim by freezing and thawing repeat.

The best thing you can do for your denim is wash in cold water and drip dry.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:16 PM

1 posts, read 603 times
I love stretch jeans made of cotton fabric. Such denim pants are comfortable to wear. I bought a pair of jeans in nextshe. In addition to stars & stripes pattern and ripped design, the most satisfying thing is that they are a little stretched. Slim-fit. And I feel that it is easy to match the stretch denim pants with tops!

Old 09-06-2015, 01:35 AM

664 posts, read 808,386 times
Ever since that first pair of Lucky jeans with 1% spandex, I've never looked back.

100% cotton jeans now feel tight, binding, and uncomfortable.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:48 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,607,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watts87 View Post
What is your opinion of stretch denim?

The jury is still out for me on this one. When it comes to jeans I usually wear Levi's, which are made from 100% cotton denim and don't have stretch material (the specific pairs I own, not necessarily Levi's in general). I do have one pair of Silver brand jeans that are 99% cotton and do have stretch material in them. The Silvers are very comfortable and I like the range of motion I get in them, but I've noticed that after a few hours of wearing them they start to sag and lose their shape a bit. After a few days of wearing them it was nice to be back in Levi's where there was some structure.

Anyway, just curious to get some opinions. I've always been a bit of a denim nerd so I'm always up for a good discussion on jeans
My Levi's have a smidgeon of spandex.

I find that's helpful for jeans keeping their shape, and for comfort, but not enough to make the material seem not cotton or not really be jeans.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:00 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,376,175 times
I'd rather have jeans that stretch a bit. They aren't all the same quality though, definitely not. They've improved a lot over the years, actually. I remember stretch jeans first coming out in the 1990s, they'd get baggy very quickly, without regaining their original shape. The stretch jeans today are great.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:44 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,761,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
You need to wash your jeans, just don't put them in the dryer.

By not washing them, the oils and dirt on your body break down the fibers of the denim and make them wear faster.

Freezing does nothing but wear down the fibers of your denim by freezing and thawing repeat.

The best thing you can do for your denim is wash in cold water and drip dry.
Having switched to freezing them in the last five years my denim is lasting much longer than in prior years, even compared to those I spent skipping the drier. As for freezing/thawing I am not putting them in damp and the moisture content of Cotten fibers is minimal. They do not even come out of the freezer "frozen" just cold. So I am not sure what you are referring to.

As for dirt and oils, I shower twice a day. It's not an issue to skip washing after every wearing.

It is fascinating to me that you think dead skin cells does more to break down cotton fibers than water, detergent and friction (aka washing) but whatever makes you happy.

Levi's Denim Care Tips - Hacks for Washing Your Jeans

Old 09-06-2015, 09:11 PM

347 posts, read 282,827 times
I think my biggest issue with my stretch denim jeans is that I bought the wrong size. I bought one waist size smaller than I usually get with Levi's. They seemed fine in the dressing room, but the next day I realized they sagged after a few hours.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:53 PM

347 posts, read 282,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I've tried to wear stretch jeans but I just hate the way they seem to get bigger and bigger and looser and looser as the day goes by.

I prefer jeans that are 100 percent cotton. I wash them in cold water and dry them on low or medium low heat and they seem fine - they last me quite awhile, anyway. About the time they get too weird, I'm tired of them anyway.
Amen. After a few weeks of wearing jeans with some stretch, I've finally decided I miss my 100% cotton jeans.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:00 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,253,207 times
I think youre buying the wrong sort of stretch.

The denim im talking about is actually denim, with all the sturdiness of denim.

It never stretches out but stays quite firm because it is mainly cotton. Its just way more comfortable is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty