Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 08:17 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,615,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
girls down here in brooklyn dress like men. almost ALWAYS with tshirts jeans and sweatshirts and business clothing. i live in brighton beach which is loaded with russian girls. they are the exception. they always try to look good when they are in public in a dress or skirt or something feminine.
If jeans and t-shirt were okay for Jackie Onassis, they're okay for anyone.

Sometimes it's the way a person puts herself or himself together, and how neat and well groomed they are, and not the actual kind of clothing. Jeans are very sexy. Have you seen the latest Cindy Crawford commercial? Ask any Texan man if he thinks jeans with boots are sexy. But you have to have the bod to carry it off.

Same thing with men.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:51 PM

15 posts, read 15,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
To kind of circle back to the Ops original question, I think Americans used to dress up more, up until about 40 years ago, or so. You know how even the bank robbers in old movies were dressed in suits and hats? In the 1960s, everyone I knew wore high heels and white gloves to go shopping. I think people were concerned about what other thought of them then.

Fast forward to now. We don't really care what others think, and we want to be comfortable. Wouldn't OP be more comfortable in some sweats, than in some tight europants? I wonder who you dress for? Yourself or others?
I totally agree with you. I just think "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Different people have diffirent styles.
I dress for myself not for others, I don't care what thers thinks
Don't underestimate others style. Maybe one day, it can be a fashion trend. I'm serious!

Old 08-24-2015, 09:29 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,939,298 times
For the most part this is true, but goddamn, many Europeans need to get clothes that actually fit. Many times it looks like their pants or shirt are going to rip they're so small if they ever bend down to crouch or try to scratch their back.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:04 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,556,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
No offense but some of the trashiest dressers from Europe are Brits. Get some dental work for christs sake !

Germans are no better.

As the Euro got stronger America started seeing more middle class low income Euros and they aren't as attractive as their richer counterparts.
Sorry for late reply just seen this

British are trashy and have bad teeth no offense!!!!!

Who the hell cant be offended by that LOL!

I'm personally all good on both counts so I'm not offended BUT I'm sure there are other Brits and Germans that would be offended especially after good ppl like myself have given the Americans a complement about they're clothing

Old 08-24-2015, 11:44 PM

239 posts, read 195,323 times
i don't see males wearing baggy pants in the U.S. lol Most i see wear knee length shorts, denims, work pants.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:51 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,578,959 times
I am just SO tired of seeing baseball caps on backwards and these knit wool caps on in the heat of summer!

Who thought that looked good?

Old 08-29-2015, 02:53 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,936,438 times
You can make casual look good. A fitted t shirt, a nice pair of well-fitted jeans, and nice shoes or boots is all you need. I do not find dress attire comfortable at all. I refuse to wear a tie, thankfully my work has done away with requiring a tie.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:46 AM

7,325 posts, read 6,946,285 times
My mom was a city girl from Chicago ,so she was accustomed to dressing up ,Dad was a farm boy from Wisconsin , go figure.
We dressed up n Sunday for church but the moment we got home the clothes were changed for real living.
When we moved to the mountains there were only a portion of folk that dressed up on Sunday simply because it is a resort community, and we had visitors from out of town a lot, so it didn't make sense to expect them to dress up ,so any dressing up soon went out the window.
It was far more important that people came to church, not what they wore. ( with in reason)
Many folk that came to our resort wanted some anonymity because of being celebrity of some sort, so unless you actually knew the person, you could be setting next to a movie star an not know it, in the church or in one of the many restaurants, doing business around town .
Some celebrities do want the attention, but at their choice so you give them that.
But for that reason no one much cares what you wear in a resort town.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:33 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,379,122 times
My observation (as a Canadian, having lived in North America and travelled to Europe as a tourist):
Americans, Canadians, Australians, Latinos all have more :fun: with fashion. It's about self-expression and creativity. In Europe, the emphasis and the priority seem to be much more on elegance. Europeans seem to take fashion drop-dead seriously. Which is kind of logical: Paris and Milan rest their reputations on high fashion to a certain extent. It's part of the culture. If you want innovation though, go to NYC, San Francisco, LA, Chicago, Miami, etc.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:38 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,404,773 times
Honestly, a lot of it is about comfort. Dress pants are cut looser in the US, because sitting at a desk for 8 hours in slim-fit is a means of torture for a man.

Same goes for travel. Americans get off planes wearing pajamas, sweats, etc. Its just more comfortable, I'm guilty of this.

Comfort is just more of a priority in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty