Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 10:37 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,973,124 times

Advertisements

I need to buy a new purse, and choosing one has proven to be more difficult than I anticipated. I have made many mistakes in purchasing the wrong one for me in the past, and I would rather not waste money buying the wrong one this time. I know I want a black one, I like satchels, and I always buy leather, but that's about it. I have made many purse purchase mistakes over the years. I bought them, thought I would like them, they seemed perfect in the store or online, and they weren't for various reasons. I used them once or twice, and they got thrown in the closet.

The most common mistake I have made is buying a "pit purse." I like the satchel/hobo style, but I bought a few that were longer than they were wide, so they became these huge deep caverns in which I could never locate anything. The purse organizers don't help those kinds either because they are designed for the baguette style purses, thus they don't fit the pit style. So I never used them. I bought a couple that were just too small to hold anything, a couple that had too many compartments, which makes it more difficult for me to locate items, not easier, and a couple that I thought were pretty at first, then after buying them, I decided they were ugly. Then I bought a couple because they were cheap and they ended up looking hideous to me soon after. I even bought a Vera Wang that I paid $100 for and the fake snakeskin started cracking within a few weeks! So ladies, what mistakes have you made in your purse purchases? If you had trouble in the past, have you gotten better at selecting the right one now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 10:49 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,959,151 times
Number one rule: I won't pay full price. If I find one I like, I try to keep an eye on it until there's a sale. If I miss it, I miss it.

Number two rule: Weight matters. If I pick it up and all that's in it is the wadded up paper it was shipped in and it feels like it has a bowling ball inside, it's too heavy. I don't carry a lot, precisely because I don't want an aching back. The purse shouldn't be more than 2/3 of the weight when loaded.

Number three rule: No hobos. I'm not digging to the bottom to find whatever it is I need and I can guarantee that whatever I need will be on the bottom!

Other than that, refer to rule Number one.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:28 PM

301 posts, read 824,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Number one rule: I won't pay full price. If I find one I like, I try to keep an eye on it until there's a sale. If I miss it, I miss it.

Number two rule: Weight matters. If I pick it up and all that's in it is the wadded up paper it was shipped in and it feels like it has a bowling ball inside, it's too heavy. I don't carry a lot, precisely because I don't want an aching back. The purse shouldn't be more than 2/3 of the weight when loaded.

Number three rule: No hobos. I'm not digging to the bottom to find whatever it is I need and I can guarantee that whatever I need will be on the bottom!

Other than that, refer to rule Number one.
Excellent advice!!

I will add - don't buy a dark interior/lining as it is too hard to see anything in it. If you are buying a shoulder bag style make sure the straps are the right width so they won't slide off your shoulder. Avoid a bag that has no secure closings in any part of the bag (ie; top zipper or zippered compartments) - nothing worse than dropping it and having everything fall out. I also look for something that is easy to clean and doesn't have "stuff" on it that may snag clothing. This is just a personal preference note, but I rarely buy black (or brown), especially if it is the only bag I carry. Black weighs down a lot of outfits.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:37 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
-Buying oversized/hobos when they are the trend.

I've broken down and done so a few times, and always regretted it. I do best with a small, structured crossbody where I don't have to dig, it's too small to hold extraneous junk that needs to be dug through, and can't become bulky and cumbersome. It forces me to minimize what I tote around with me, which is a good thing.

-Buying something that's not a neutral color, or buying in a style that is either overly dressy or overly casual.

My bags need to be multipurpose/multitasking. I like to minimize things, and don't want to have a collection of bags that go with different outfits. I want one or two highly versatile bags that are adaptable enough to work with most things. I don't have the patience or the storage to be swapping things from bag to bag.

-Patterns. I used to make this mistake with clothing, as well. Simple and solid is more versatile.

In short, anything that hinders versatility is to be avoided.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:54 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,275,966 times
I figured out early I like very organized bags. When I worked at the bank I went crazy when a woman would bring in her deposit, and then have to spend what felt like HOURS digging through a purse for the check amidst 42,768 empty envelopes and pounds of garbage..... and then have to do it all over again for the checkbook.

While I like leather, my preference for organization outweighs it. And then I discovered I can sew myself what I want. So I did. I have three zipper pockets, two inside, one outside, credit card slots, a slip pocket for my calendar, a bill pocket for my bills, an ID window, and it snaps shut.

I've been getting so many complements on it, I'm halfway considering making them to sell.

And I've been thinking about a travel cosmetics/ toiletries organizer. I just went away and the one I have has some organizing, but for the most part it's a like the hobo where everything falls into the bottom and you have to empty it out to get to the thing you want.... when there should be a zippered or snapped place for it.

besides, snaps are a BLAST to put on. Sewing with a hammer.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:18 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,050,629 times
I am glad you asked, because it sure stinks to spend a lot of money on a purse and then hate it. Here's what I look for...
Does it open WIDE, so I can get into it easily?
Does it have compartments for separating things, so you can reach them easily?
Is it light weight? I hate when a purse weighs a ton before you put anything in it.

My all time favorite was a Vera Bradley tote with a zipper at the top. Around the entire inside were a bunch of pockets, so everything I carried had a pocket to go into. Similar to the one in the picture.

Last edited by gentlearts; 12-24-2020 at 07:06 AM..

Old 05-29-2015, 02:23 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times
I thought I needed a clutch but they ended up selling me an evening handbag because I didn't know any better

Old 05-29-2015, 03:13 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,693,778 times
Im more petite person so finding the right size purse is tough for me. They seem to make overly large bags or very small bags mostly. I also have bought purses that were to big and some bad quality. One broke within a month and I am gentle with my purses. Also a big thing I now always look for is a purse with lots of zippers and pockets. The older I get, the more I seem to carry. I like a purse that can be well organized to!

Old 05-29-2015, 03:26 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,359,548 times
The only boo-boo I ever made was the most recent one I purchased. Bought it by mail-order- nearly $7. shipping fee. I had no idea leather smelled so horrible- haven't been able to bring myself to use it yet. I love the style, it's just the leather aroma I hate.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:34 PM

22,865 posts, read 6,442,125 times
One of the biggest mistakes I've made is getting a purse that dosen't have a zipper closing on top..
If it rolls over my stuff falls out...My most recent purse has 7 zippers on the outside..perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty