Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 11:11 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,158,808 times

Advertisements

Wow, that's a lot of walking! Good on you for staying active in your retirement. My grandmother walked miles a day for years, into her early nineties - and she lived into the second half of her nineties.

I think they make walking shoes now that have cut outs for just the kind of use you describe. And if you're going to pay $40, why not get shoes designed for distance walking?

Here are some walking sandals and water shoes from L.L. Bean. If you scroll past the flip flops, there are some nice, open walking shoes in there. I know - they're expensive - but so much more comfortable and durable, usually (the user comments are usually very helpful on that site so you can weed out the ones that aren't worth the money). They'll last you a long time. And there's a guarantee. (I don't work for L.L. Bean - I've just been impressed with them).

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/50342...oes&nav=ln-630
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 11:21 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,724,515 times
For walking three or four miles, a shoe like a Teva would be better than a water shoe. More support.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:23 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,561,581 times
Thanks everyone. This is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for. It looks like crocs are not the answer.

I will check out some of the suggestions made by several of you for alternatives. I don't know if water shoes will work, because, when I am seining or participating in doing horseshoe crab counts it is required to wear hard toe footwear. Right now I am using heavy rubber boots for these activities and they are not comfortable.

I was hoping to find one go to shoe for all of the activities I am involved in at the beach, but, that may not be realistic.

I very much appreciate the feedback.

Mary2014

Old 05-20-2015, 11:26 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,724,515 times
What about something like these? They have a pretty good toe.
Women's Keen Venice Sandals | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

Old 05-20-2015, 11:44 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,806,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I would choose some slip-on "water shoes" over Crocs. Traditional Crocs are not comfortable for lots of walking. They will chafe across the top of your foot, and the dampness and sand will not be pleasant.

I prefer them over crocs as well. I lived in crocs when I broke my ankle and they were comfortable enough to hobble around in. Walking with them on the beach is a whole other issue. All those holes will let too much sand in and one good wave on the waters edge could knock them off your feet. I just bought a new pair of water shoes with a thicker sole. I took a walk around the neighborhood in them and they were quite comfortable.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:55 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,561,581 times
It looks like Keen or REI might have what I am looking for... I will have to see if the enclosed toe meets the safety requirements for the activities in which I participate. The next step will be to see if they carry women's 7W in these styles. The number of shoes offered in wide widths are often very limited.

I don't mind spending the money on good shoes if I am going to be able to use them for multiple activities.

Thanks everyone.

Mary2014

Old 05-20-2015, 05:40 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,121,164 times
I am AFFA certified in personal training and step aerobics.

I also am a STOTT Pilates certified instructor.

DO NOT walk three or four miles a day on the beach in anything but running shoes or walking shoes.

Athletic sandals and the like do not have enough stability and it will impact your knees, back and neck.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:00 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,019,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
However, now that I am retired, I walk three or four miles a day on beach sand and/or at the water's edge -

Quote:
...... when I am seining or participating in doing horseshoe crab counts it is required to wear hard toe footwear.
I want your life !!!!!!

Old 05-20-2015, 07:23 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,430,239 times
I like crocs but have never worn them for any distance on the beach, I wear them in and out of stores and find them very comfortable but I do wear thin ankle socks so as to avoid chafing. I prob. wear the most common but I also wear a similar style that has no holes on the sides so if it rains unexpectedly, my feet stay dry (unless Im walking thru a deep puddle, lol). Have seen them at Marshalls, TJMaxx and Home Goods at various times for around $18 which is a good price but it's hit or miss, they dont have them all that often (at least not where we live). Have tried other style crocs and am not thrilled w/ them, also imitation crocs that I've bought at CVS or Walgreens and not crazy for them either. They're very easy to slip on if one has a dog who has to get out fast, lol, have seen several neighbors around here w/ them too. Am not crazy for the bright-bright colors, I prefer a more neutral color but it's just a personal preference. Have gotten croc socks (very bright in color) which are super comfortable too but really, any type thin sock works fine.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:34 PM

756 posts, read 834,909 times
Cool Yes:

Quote:
Croc's are not the most attractive shoes and considering that they are plastic - not cheap at $40 a pair.

However, now that I am retired, I walk three or four miles a day on beach sand and/or at the water's edge - so my athletic shoes often get wet. It looks like the cut outs on croc's would be ideal for walking in shallow water - but, not sure how much support the shoe has for someone who is walking several miles on beach sand every day.

I am considering the Croc's classic unisex style - just not sure if they will hold up and are suitable for an everyday walking shoe in soft sand.

Anyone have any experience with these shoes?

Mary2014

PS: I can deal with ugly shoes- if they are comfortable and can handle my daily walking routine.
They are not ugly. Every body thinks they are ugly. I do not care what other people think. Just get a neutral color and enjoy your water proof shoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty