Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 09:18 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,215,489 times

Advertisements

The patient doesn't even see the doctor and is out before the doctor enters and after the doctor leaves the room. I would not want that kind of impersonal relationship with a person who has my life in their hands.

Stunning photos show why S. Korea is the plastic surgery capital of the world - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 01:24 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,570,348 times
A tourist cosmetic surgery capital for sure. Many foreigners book vacations there for the plastic surgery and recovery....probably some of the best plastic surgeons in the world. Many wealthy Chinese go there for plastic surgery. They don't even trust their own plastic surgeons in China. I'm guessing Venezuela comes in second place.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:37 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,244,760 times
Saw this a while back.

Has plastic surgery made these 20 Korean beauty pageant contestants look the same? Pictures of contest hopefuls goes viral | Daily Mail Online

Old 05-16-2015, 08:51 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,215,489 times
My Korean born daughter has "Western " eyes and she has been asked by other Asians since she was a child if she had plastic surgery. Same for one of my Vietnamese daughters. All three get really brown in the summer cause we are outside so much. The pressure to stay as pale as possible in many Asian countries has more to do with race and prejudice and not health.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:52 AM
JL

I think some Americans are considering S Korea for their surgeries. It depends on the cost of flight, surgery, etc. Some believe if i the difference is $5,000 or more, they would be better off flying over there to have the surgery, so it depends on what type of plastic surgery. There is Venezuela too, but still some doubt. Not sure about the cost there though. I heard that India is starting to do this also. Not sure how many tourists have gone to India for their procedures.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:57 AM

609 posts, read 616,920 times
I saw that before. It's so creepy. They look exactly the same.
How can you look at yourself in the mirror at a different face like that?

Old 05-17-2015, 12:02 PM
JL

Anyone surprised about Venezuela though? Every other year, Ms. Universe seems to come out of there. Why would plastic surgery be also common there too? I thought the typical Venezuelan gal was pretty attractive.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:34 AM

951 posts, read 1,143,781 times
I was watching a foreign movie where all the actors were Asians. My ex pointed out to me that half of the actors look like they had plastic surgery because they all have nose bridges and double eyelids, which is not common in Asians. After he pointed that out, I couldn't concentrate on the movie, and just kept noticing how everyone got their faces done. It was disappointing to see that because there was no more character in their eyes. It looked like everyone decided to get surgery done at the same place and time, just in time to shoot the movie.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:09 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,179,161 times
The pressure to look beautiful or handsome in South Korea is extreme - it affects every facet of a person's life: marriage, career, etc. Korean society places a high value on looks, just the way it is and if someone is born not as "perfect" it can be fixed if you have enough money. Pain is not even a concern. Most Asian females are slim, but their calves are a little more bulkier and the muscles thicker and shorter. Some women go through a procedure that removes the calve muscle or a large portion of it so that their legs look longer and slimmer. I was really shocked reading about this procedure, but apparently it's very common to have it done, just like the eyelid surgery. A lot of it is vanity, but since society puts such value on looks, people that look less than perfect have a harder time finding the right mate, job, etc. so the pain and cost of plastic surgery is acceptable to many.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:14 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,179,161 times
Look at the many youtube videos of "before and after" of South Korean celebrities that have undergone plastic surgery. IT's incredible how different they look after, not even like the same person. See it really makes the playing field much more difficult to compete when you are "normal" looking and then there are the plastic people with the "perfect" features. It kind of reminds me of steroids and baseball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty