Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2015, 01:26 PM

18,529 posts, read 18,744,531 times

Advertisements

Oh my god... I thought I would die laughing today.. Im off to a birthday party tomorrow night and thought Id try and glam it up.. I dont go out much and dont wear much makeup now at 68 , but I thought... uch hell go for it.. try something new...so in I went to the bathroom mirror and dug out all my makeup from different colour foundations to eye liners and eye shadow and some dried up blusher... rouge in my days.... so laying them all out to see what I actually had.. I took note then went on youtube.. for a tutorial on shading and smoky eyes hahahah. IM laughing just thinking about it........ I started with a concealer all over my eyelid as they said to do this... and some under for my dark circles..... I looked worse... but plodded on... next the foundation.. trying a new Almay one in Sand... mmm I looked pasty and washed out... so I mixed some tan with the sand.. and getting a wedge cosmetic sponge..... ( tip from youtube) I put the mixture on my hand and dabbed the wedge of sponge into it... this was when it really went south.. the sand colour at my first attempt must have dried quick so this sort of a tannish colour was for contouring... ala Kardashians..I wheeched the sponge down the sides of my face and nose... hoping for a miracle to make my nose look slimmer and my face more chiselled... sadly.. I looked like something from Colditz or The Great Escape.... and ten years older...I flicked the sponge around like they said trying to blend it to no avail.... uch well I thought ,, Ill try the smokey eyes... a bit of dark brown eyeliner first the said.... no need to be fussyand it will be blended later.....so I breathed a sigh of relief at these instructions as I cant see a foot in front of me without my glasses.. ... a nice wiggly top and bottom line then...my heart sank... I was morphing into a man in drag... but no I thought dont be deterred , it works for all those girls on youtube.. they go from ugly duckling to swans in ten minutes of sculpturing and smokey eyes.... Ive seen it often and been impressed...so here goes.... a greyish brown eyes shadow in the crease of my eye..... yep done it... then get a cotton bud and blend with the eye liner..... to be honest all I could see was a mish mash of browns, tans sand and blackish brown on an old face.... just then my hubby appeared asking what I was doing.. I was so embarrassed I got angry and him saying....IS NOTHING SACRED... I then grabbed a face wipe and rubbed at the carnage I had caused then another and another wipe till I used half a dozen... then threw them in the bin.. I saw my hubby squint over at the brown mass of hankies in the bin... then he looked at me strangely....so its back to the drawing board I feel with some moisturiser.. a little tinted foundation , some subtle eye liner and loads of mascara.....yep that ll do me and no one will even notice me at that party ..... who wants to be a Kardashian anyway....whats the dads name who turning into a woman...yep I was that man for ten minutes today....and the scariest thing ever..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 09:14 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,814,317 times
LOL...I had the same experience! 55, hadn't worn a full face in years. Just started getting into it again this past month. I practice applying something every night... and now it's a LOT better! LOL

And yes, youtube is a HUGE help.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:50 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I started with a concealer all over my eyelid as they said to do this... and some under for my dark circles..... I looked worse... but plodded on... next the foundation..
foundation goes on first, then concealer.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:03 AM

18,529 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
foundation goes on first, then concealer.
oh dear is that where I went wrong.. cant I just put the concealer all over my face and hide hahaha.Im having a read seems both ways ..... but think Ill go without hahah. seems only yesterday I was using Mary Quant foundation and thought I was the bees knees.. loved that makeup.. her eye makeup sticks were excellent and so easy to use.. soft and didnt drag, as I hate powder eyeshadows.. they make the eyes look even older.
FOUNDATION FIRST

"If your face feels naked without foundation, apply it first. Then dot concealer only where you need extra coverage." —Cynde Watson, founder of Color by Cynde Watson

CONCEALER FIRST

"If you don't like to wear a full face of foundation, apply concealer first to the areas that need full coverage. Then you might find you don't need foundation at all—or need only a little bit to even out skin tone and make your skin look flawless." —Bobbi Brown, founder of Bobbi Brown Cosmetics

Read more: http://www.oprah.com/style/Concealer...#ixzz3ULhucUtC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty