Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 06:42 PM

832 posts, read 466,346 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid we used to go to the barber and get a 'regular' haircut... short, medium, or long. Now the closest thing I see to a 'regular' haircut is a 'Fade'.

I like regular haircuts because I like my hair tapered in the back. Tapered, not blocked straight across. Invariably, when I go to these chain stores now the 'stylist' blocks it. Blocked, not tapered. It almost makes me blind with rage but what can you do? It is cut off by then so it doesn't matter how angry you get so you might as well not whine about it and just pay your dang money and go home. So, 6 weeks later I go to another 'stylist' and tell her not to block my hair in the back... before I get it cut, and during the barber session, and she will block it anyway.

One even told me after I had reminded her a couple of times and we had actually had a short conversation before I sat down, that it always looks better cut straight across and did it anyway before I could warn her not to block it. Astounding.

I don't understand this. It's plain English.

For quite a few years I would just accept it because as I said you can't glue it back on there and all the telling in the world doesn't do any good so don't stress out over these air-head stylists and there goofy perceptions of the world of hair. But you know, there comes a time when you finally say, "Hey this is my head and my hair and I want the dang stuff tapered!"

So besides all this p****ng and moaning I ask, is there another way to approach this that might lead to even brief spells of satisfaction and contentment? Any suggestions?

Thanks for listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 06:46 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Don't go to the chain businesses. Their people get taught assembly-line type techniques and styles. They can't think outside the box.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:16 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Pull up a photo of the exact haircut you want and show it to a barber. Notice I said barber, as in an old-time barber who has been around a while. Many of these salons aren't very good. But, if they can't reproduce the style you want by looking at a photo, demand someone fix it before you pay them.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:20 PM

722 posts, read 1,328,797 times
you need to go to an old men's barbershop to get a proper men's hair cut

Old 03-13-2015, 02:01 AM

832 posts, read 466,346 times
Thanks All, I thought maybe I was the exception here. And Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:42 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
yes,,,i still get a regular

I go to a barber in a barber shop..

once I went to a salon,,
and wanted one of the pretty ladys to cut my hair- was in a hurry so,,,the sweet guy asked me what would I like?? I said a trim or just a regular..

he said that's like asking a chef to cook a hot dog.....
how bout some flair??
I said no,,,and said I just want a trim....

so he does his best to shorten one side more than the other "this is the "in" look for men in their 40's"

I wanted to throw his head in the mirror - "i asked for a trim...equal on all sides..."
he tried to adjust,,,but messed it up...

I never went back,,,it was partially my fault,,,we didn't make an appointment,,,but the sign did say walk ins welcome

Old 03-14-2015, 02:52 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
I agree with everyone else. Go to a barber, and for back up, bring a picture just in case they aren't sure what you are saying. I have to wonder if for some reason the cut you want just is not getting across correctly by you.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:57 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
Or learn to cut your own damn hair. Personally I hate short hair on anyone.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:05 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
I always go to a barber.

Father / son lesson- When we moved to Bridgeport, WV 7 years ago I took my then 9 yo son out and about looking for a new barber. I said "Son, always look for the spinning pole".. So we found one, walked in and there were hair washing sinks, ladies clipping ladies hair- not one guy cutting hair. Hardly any cars in the lot. I know this may sound sexist but I walked out. I want a male barber.

Went down the road, saw this little trailer along the road, pole spinning and trucks and cars in the gravel lot. Walked in, one guy with one chair and 6-7 guys waiting in line. I said to my son- "This is it."

The barber gave us both excellent high and tights, shaved my neck with a straight razor and slapped some Clubman tonic on my neck and out we went. Guys bitchin' about local politics, the weather.. It was a barber shop.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:08 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I always go to a barber.

Father / son lesson- When we moved to Bridgeport, WV 7 years ago I took my then 9 yo son out and about looking for a new barber. I said "Son, always look for the spinning pole".. So we found one, walked in and there were hair washing sinks, ladies clipping ladies hair- not one guy cutting hair. Hardly any cars in the lot. I know this may sound sexist but I walked out. I want a male barber.

Went down the road, saw this little trailer along the road, pole spinning and trucks and cars in the gravel lot. Walked in, one guy with one chair and 6-7 guys waiting in line. I said to my son- "This is it."

The barber gave us both excellent high and tights, shaved my neck with a straight razor and slapped some Clubman tonic on my neck and out we went. Guys bitchin' about local politics, the weather.. It was a barber shop.
So happy I haven't stepped foot in a barber shop in years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty