Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 11:30 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,114,299 times

Advertisements

I was born in Iowa, raised in Kansas and Texas. That's about as "midwest" and "American" as you can get. Growing up, guys always wore swim trunks/shorts. That's just the style in America, and pretty much always has been, though in the 70's and 80's guys wore much shorter shorts.

Then I got older, met my Brazilian wife, and traveled a lot of places. You can't go to a beach in South America and find a native wearing long swim trunks. They all wear Speedo type swimsuits, and it's only the tourists and people on vacation wearing long shorts.

When I'm in the States, I have my long shorts. When I'm visiting family in Brazil, I wear Speedos, as do all the other men in the family. As they say, when in Rome...

Old 02-03-2015, 11:32 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,533,893 times
One of the down sides to traveling to beach destinations where Europeon men are the majority is seeing them in speedos on the beach. Most are NOT the young guys with no body fat and a great physique. Most are over 50, sagging all over and overweight. What I've been told is that Europeon men have no hang ups about their bodies, regardless of age, flabbiness, sagginess, you get the picture. They are fine with it so, no need to feel self conscious in a speedo. But for those of us who are mildly repulsed by that sight, it can be a drag on the beach! Call me shallow, I'm good with that. When the skin is hanging down, don't care what sex it is, prefer to see it covered if I must see it at all. And no, I cannot understand how anybody could think a speedo is more comfortable than full cut swim trunks.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:49 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,705,371 times
I don't want some homosexual man at the beach staring at my junk. That's why I don't wear a speedo. Plus it's stupid and uncomfortable.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:51 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,222,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
I don't want some homosexual man at the beach staring at my junk. That's why I don't wear a speedo. Plus it's stupid and uncomfortable.
"I don't want lesbians at the beach staring at my nipples and cameltoe" said no woman ever in a swimsuit.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:51 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,418,382 times
Originally Posted by AmFest:
I have the fortune of having traveled outside of the US, and everywhere I went, men's swimsuits are speedos. Then I came back and saw all men wear swim trunks.

Why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Because American women demand that they want a "real man".
There may be some of that going on, but what really drives the fashion is morbid fear among the men that they won't be considered "real men". But if a man really wants to be a macho guy, wouldn't he just laugh at anyone who told him how to behave? It's the men with a weak self-image who worry about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
...And no, I cannot understand how anybody could think a speedo is more comfortable than full cut swim trunks.
The rest of that post makes it clear that Nurider2002 doesn't wear Speedos, so I wonder how he knows that. I have one and it's perfectly OK, much better than wet fabric clinging to your legs.

Oh yes, the gays, I'm afraid of the gays! I'm laughing here.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:52 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,734,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
Hahaha.. Vision33.. imagine wearing a thong. That's what we women have to put up with constantly... You get used to it.
It's not the same, for men not only is it uncomfortable, it can cause infertility. My BAG has to adjust stiffness to adapt to changes to body temperature if it can't do that it can cause infertility and even long term function issues.

To me, it feels like a big hand is between your crotch pushing against you. Not the same as a thong where a woman is to rubbing against it.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:54 AM

102,233 posts, read 108,060,523 times
Some guys are modest about that. I knew a guy who made a big deal out of it when his HS swim coach required speedos. He refused. Older men going through a midlife crisis wear speedos, though. Some of them.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:07 PM

102,233 posts, read 108,060,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman91919 View Post
Not that this is directed to you, but why is it that women are allowed to critique men's fashion, men's style and men's grooming, but if men do that to women, it is considered somehow offensive. Example - I was at a party and some woman said to a man "that mustache makes you look ridiculous". If he would have said something to her like "those pants make you look fat" I don't think she would have considered it an acceptable comment.
Sounds like some party! LOL! This is hilarious! The guy should have snapped back at her that her dress makes her look fat. Seriously, who critiques a stranger's facial hair, unless he was an ex of hers, or something. But still, within earshot of others? Crazy!

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-03-2015 at 12:28 PM..

Old 02-03-2015, 12:27 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,878,617 times
I'm glad that you don't usually see men wearing speedos. I don't like the look of speedos- yuck
Swim trunks

Old 02-03-2015, 12:36 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,388,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Some guys are modest about that. I knew a guy who made a big deal out of it when his HS swim coach required speedos. He refused. Older men going through a midlife crisis wear speedos, though. Some of them.
I prefer the look of jammers on competitive swimmers. The really good swimmers wear speed suits, which cover pretty much everything.

Last edited by randomparent; 02-03-2015 at 12:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty