Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 09:20 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times

Advertisements

My wife was putting on a pair of her "fashion boots" which women still love wearing today and I was wondering, why did these riding/pirate/knee length etc leather boots fall out of style for men but not women? We watch movies all the time that depict men in period pieces wearing these boots and they look awesome and classy in my opinion. Plus theyre still pretty practical if youre in bad weather or outdoors a lot. Texans still have their cowboy boots....

Sure we have "work boots" still but theyre just not as classy looking.

Is it just me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 09:34 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
You also don't wear cravats, waistcoats, coats with tails, or any other period attire with any regularity.

Fashion for women has long been more diverse and varied than it has for men. Certain men (mainly musicians) wear boots quite a bit...typically men of shorter stature, like Prince and Bono. It all depends on how fashion-conscious you prefer to come off as, but it also appears costume-y or cosplay-ish. Like women wearing corsets and bustles and other Renaissance-faire-appropriate garb, or steampunk fashion in non-costume situations.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:37 AM

See, and to me, all of those models look staged and costumed (except for the last pic, which looks like a candid of somebody with questionable and hipster-ish fashion sense - probably the brown boots with black attire, as well as what looks like a silk women's scarf - versus a staged photo-shoot shot). None of them look particularly wearable off a runway. The model standing against the red background is probably wearing the most wearable version, but even at that rate, if the shirt were solid versus checked, he'd be perilously close to being an extra on Firefly, so still an element of the cosplay thing going on.

Women's fashion just allows for a higher degree of theatricality, in general

Old 01-02-2015, 10:24 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
See, and to me, all of those models look staged and costumed (except for the last pic, which looks like a candid of somebody with questionable and hipster-ish fashion sense - probably the brown boots with black attire, as well as what looks like a silk women's scarf - versus a staged photo-shoot shot). None of them look particularly wearable off a runway. The model standing against the red background is probably wearing the most wearable version, but even at that rate, if the shirt were solid versus checked, he'd be perilously close to being an extra on Firefly, so still an element of the cosplay thing going on.

Women's fashion just allows for a higher degree of theatricality, in general
I don't necessarily disagree but I know nothing about the OP and since he asked I merely Googled some images that weren't period costumes. Women arent the only ones who can be dramatic and theatrical in their manner of dress. Particularly in larger, metropolitan cities. Clearly someone is wearing them. Maybe the OP likes one of those looks...<<shrugs>>

Old 01-02-2015, 10:25 AM

Oh, I agree. It's entirely likely that the OP is all about the more costume-y look.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:33 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
No Im not about the costume-y look at all save for one day of the year. My question was (why) did they fall out of style. If they hadn't then they wouldn't fall under the guise of costumes anyways, they would just be fashion. Of course one could argue that all clothes are costumes, its just that we view some as acceptable and others as not.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:35 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
I'd say because this
http://www.tigersweat.com/movies/cheyenne/chey09.jpg
would not go over well in much of the modern world.

Ever been a senior in Aggieland, wearing such boots? In those places, we had "fish" (freshmen) to help us get those boots off.

The fish would straddle the leg with boot on that was to come off and grab around the base of the book. The senior would then put their other foot, booted or not, on the posterior of said fish and push. The combined effort usually got the boot off.

Fun stuff.....in a back country sort of way.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:37 AM

Boots fall in and out of style for women, too, at least as high fashion (for some looks, biker culture and its harness boots being one such example, they tend to stay in, but that's not necessarily mainstream fashion).

It's just that women's fashion tends to be more broad and varied then men's does, in general. And, yeah, fashion is, basically, costuming, at its root. All clothing that is designed with something other than purely utilitarian purpose in mind is.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:38 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
You also don't wear cravats, waistcoats, coats with tails, or any other period attire with any regularity.

Fashion for women has long been more diverse and varied than it has for men. Certain men (mainly musicians) wear boots quite a bit...typically men of shorter stature, like Prince and Bono. It all depends on how fashion-conscious you prefer to come off as, but it also appears costume-y or cosplay-ish. Like women wearing corsets and bustles and other Renaissance-faire-appropriate garb, or steampunk fashion in non-costume situations.
I beg to differ. I wore this to work today

Ok, I'm lying but, It'd be really cool if I did
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty