Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 08:22 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,769,764 times

Advertisements

A few were over the top, but my high school yearbooks all look like these. The guys all had mini-mullets too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 08:27 AM

Also seen are fried orange fake tans and shiny green or blue Wet & Wild eyeliner.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:44 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,522,360 times
I wasn't in high school in the 80s, but did hit middle school before the decade was over, and hair was very much like this, even in middle school.

Personally, I had very long hair (down to my bottom) and I had a spiral perm and big bangs for a couple years around 7th/8th grade. I also frequently wore leggings under a miniskirt. It was the look.

So the majority of these hairstyles look a lot like my middle school yearbooks. As someone else mentioned, the day-to-day looks were more subdued.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:07 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,276,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Back in the early 1980s I recall the mohawk phase and my now bald buddy endless blow drying and spraying his hair so the t-tops in his car would not blow over his hairstyle
Dudes used "Dippity Do" to cement those styles into place lol!

By the late 80s, I was into the more "Flock of Seaguls" style of hair, sort of a "reverse mullet" where my hair was shaved around the edges and in back, but very long on top. The front, if not combed, came down to my mouth. For work, I would use Dippity Do and comb it back, so it was out of my face.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:10 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,276,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
I was alive for almost the entire decade of the 80s, and it sometimes bothers me how today's retro-80s trend gets exaggerated or misinterpreted... having said that, those pictures are exactly how I remember the mid-late 80s (in Southern California). My classmates, their parents, or the news anchors on TV, moussed their hair to oblivion.
Yes, the styles do get exaggerated today when people try to recreate an 80s look. For guys, we mostly just wore Levis (worn until they were extremely faded and sometimes ripped) with surfer t-shirts and Vans. It wasn't that bad.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:02 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,696,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Back in the early 1980s I recall the mohawk phase and my now bald buddy endless blow drying and spraying his hair so the t-tops in his car would not blow over his hairstyle
Hat, I dated a guy with T-tops on his Trans Am. I didn't have big hair or acid wash at that point, though.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Dudes used "Dippity Do" to cement those styles into place lol!

By the late 80s, I was into the more "Flock of Seaguls" style of hair, sort of a "reverse mullet" where my hair was shaved around the edges and in back, but very long on top. The front, if not combed, came down to my mouth. For work, I would use Dippity Do and comb it back, so it was out of my face.
Yeah, more New Wave than hair band. People forget there were different looks going on in the 80s, as with any decade. As a girl who grew into a teen in the 80s, the Cyndi Lauper, candy-colored hair Village-chic look was different than the mopey, Morrisey/Smiths fangirl look, which was different from the Tawny Kitaen , moussed mane while writhing on the hood of a car look.

Then there were preppies with popped collars, cuffed Guess and Esprit jeans, white Keds with no laces, Sperry topsiders...

Old 12-08-2014, 12:00 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,764,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I had a pretty good spiral perm in the 80s, but I refused the tall bangs. I just could not commit to all the hairspray required to keep that hair so high. LOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Personally, I had very long hair (down to my bottom) and I had a spiral perm and big bangs for a couple years around 7th/8th grade. I also frequently wore leggings under a miniskirt. It was the look.
I remember that the spiral perm was popular in the fall of 1989. So many of the girls at my school had one (with the tall bangs of course LOL). And so many people (males and females) wore Z Cavaricci pants that year, myself included. Ugh!

Old 12-08-2014, 03:16 PM

I went to school with Jim Cavaricci's son. Those pants were everywhere.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:34 PM

My freshman year of college roommate was really into Z Cavaricci, and that was 1995. She was pretty small town Midwest, though (as was I). Trends tended to hit us on a second or third wave, particularly trends involving specific brands, because in the days before online retail, there weren't very many, if any local retailers that carried brand-name attire, apart from utilitarian, Levi Strauss, Timberland, Carhartt-type brands. To get anything remotely "fashion" involved a minimum two-hour drive to malls in the Chicago suburbs. Locally, Farm & Fleet was about what there was.

But no matter how far we were from clothing retailers, just about anybody could pick up cans of mousse and Aqua Net.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty