Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 07:44 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,430,900 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

i'm a young african-american woman and I have a lot of dark spots on my face from popping pimples in my teen years. I never really noticed them until I got a new digital camera and I noticed how patchy my skin looks, especially on my forehead and cheek area. Can anyone recommend something that might help even out my skin tones? Also I seem to have bags under my eyes in photos - but I get plenty of sleep - any way to conceal this?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 07:55 PM

139 posts, read 376,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Hi all,

i'm a young african-american woman and I have a lot of dark spots on my face from popping pimples in my teen years. I never really noticed them until I got a new digital camera and I noticed how patchy my skin looks, especially on my forehead and cheek area. Can anyone recommend something that might help even out my skin tones? Also I seem to have bags under my eyes in photos - but I get plenty of sleep - any way to conceal this?

Thanks!
I've heard that going to a dermatologist and getting facial peels and stuff like that done works pretty well. I'm guessing that it would be expensive though But if the price doesn't matter to you, then I would look into that
The facial peels and treatments basically just take off dead skin cells and help get rid of scars, they're supposed to make your skin glow too.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:09 PM

291 posts, read 1,077,248 times
I know that african-american skin is very sensitive and prone to scar easily. I'm not black myself, but I'm half greek and have olive skin, and we share some of the same problems. I have been using Lactic Acid peels by Makeup Artist's Choice, and I do know that many AA women have also used it with very good results to fade the kind of marks you're talking about.

I would make an appointment with a dermatologist who *specializes* in AA skin. (VERY important because different skin tones react VERY differently to treatments, and many Drs are too arrogant to admit they may not know what they're talking about, or they may simply *assume* that becuase it worked for someone else, it will work for you too).

Personally, I would just ask him/her if your skin would react well to lactic acid or glycolic acid peels. Wait for an answer. If they say yes, ask what percentage. Then, I would go out an buy the peels directly from a company like MUAC and do them yourself. The reason the peels cost 20 times as much at the dermatologist's office is because you're paying for office staff, advertising, rent, utilities, and the Dr's huge salary.

I've been using the 40% lactic acid peels for the past month and a half and I've seen a HUGE improvement in the darker patches on my skin. I paid something like $20 for a "sample size" of the peel, and done 6 peels so far- I have at *least* 80% of the bottle left. If I paid for these at the Dr it would run about $100 PER PEEL!

A great resource is makeupalley.com. They have a huge number of reviews on thousands of different products and I don't buy anything now without checking what other reviewers say about that particular product. I checked out the reviews for about a week before I purchased my lactic acid peels, and I remember distinctly that a couple of AA women reviewed them and spoke VERY highly of their results.

It's worth a shot!

Old 01-04-2008, 11:30 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,032,612 times
Wow! Talking about information! I face some of these similar issues (no where close to being a teenager though) and I can't tell you how frustrating it is to have the same medication provided time and time again and have it not work! I'm going to look more into this, because it seems to really make sense.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo Riley View Post
I know that african-american skin is very sensitive and prone to scar easily. I'm not black myself, but I'm half greek and have olive skin, and we share some of the same problems. I have been using Lactic Acid peels by Makeup Artist's Choice, and I do know that many AA women have also used it with very good results to fade the kind of marks you're talking about.

I would make an appointment with a dermatologist who *specializes* in AA skin. (VERY important because different skin tones react VERY differently to treatments, and many Drs are too arrogant to admit they may not know what they're talking about, or they may simply *assume* that becuase it worked for someone else, it will work for you too).

Personally, I would just ask him/her if your skin would react well to lactic acid or glycolic acid peels. Wait for an answer. If they say yes, ask what percentage. Then, I would go out an buy the peels directly from a company like MUAC and do them yourself. The reason the peels cost 20 times as much at the dermatologist's office is because you're paying for office staff, advertising, rent, utilities, and the Dr's huge salary.

I've been using the 40% lactic acid peels for the past month and a half and I've seen a HUGE improvement in the darker patches on my skin. I paid something like $20 for a "sample size" of the peel, and done 6 peels so far- I have at *least* 80% of the bottle left. If I paid for these at the Dr it would run about $100 PER PEEL!

A great resource is makeupalley.com. They have a huge number of reviews on thousands of different products and I don't buy anything now without checking what other reviewers say about that particular product. I checked out the reviews for about a week before I purchased my lactic acid peels, and I remember distinctly that a couple of AA women reviewed them and spoke VERY highly of their results.

It's worth a shot!

Old 02-01-2015, 03:41 AM

466 posts, read 586,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
Hi all,
Thanks!
Have you seen a Dermatologist? If you have, did he/she call it "Melasma"? If yes take a read of this website
How to Treat Melasma: 12 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow BUT CHECK with dermatologist that it is OK first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty