Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 01:51 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,872,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I hear you both, and I'd tend to pretty much agree. As my commentary on what weight ranges looked best on me throughout the years already indicated.

Thing is, what she really asked us is if guys would find tight shirts on a pudgy belly and/or cellulite attractive.

And I think we all agree that this look would be less than optimal.
Chubby can be cute, depending. But it has to be accompanied by good taste. If you're chubby, you don't emphasize it by wearing tight clothes. Wear something that smoothes over the chub and shows you at your best. That would be common sense, you'd think. So don't wear shorts that are too short, that would be fashion suicide, and wouldn't go over well with most dudes. Just a friendly word of advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 02:30 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,031,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
Can't rep you but you took the words right out of my mouth.
I'd never ask for advice or post a pic here. There might be some insightful, knowledgeable folks but the delivery of their advice is sometimes abrasive.
I've posted a few pics, but I am 1) very secure despite not being at all photogenic and am generally unhappy with how I look in most pics I'm in and 2) I'm not looking for advice from anyone. You have to be pretty secure if you are going to put yourself out there for others to see. I've had a few peek and comment and they aren't always friendly. Ask me how it affects me. In the OP's case, if she is asking for advice Iit may be an indication she has some insecurities she is dealing with. If this is the case it would probably be better for her to get input from those who genuinely care about her rather than a bunch of faux intellects who like to get their rocks off criticizing the way others look.

Old 11-29-2014, 03:52 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,209,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Plus, that range is dependent on age. There were no age parameters on that chart. People in their teens are supposed to be in the lower range, while people in middle age and beyond are at the high end, usually. And there's some allowance to be made for different bone structures. But a 20-year-old at 5'3" is significantly overweight if she's 140 lbs. 140 lbs is considered overweight even for 5'6 at her age, in most cases.
She is not significantly overweight. She just isn't. I'm not sure why you are so dead set on telling her that she is. At least I don't see how you can make that assumption with out actually seeing what she looks like. I'm 5'4" and have been at all different weights. I've never had issues attracting men. I've never had anyone tell me I look fat. I don't know why people get so much joy out of telling people how fat they are when they aren't.

Old 11-29-2014, 04:04 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,872,617 times
I don't know where you draw the line between chubby and fat, but from her self-description, she sounds chubby. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Different people carry extra weight differently. It's very individual. Extra weight can look good on some women. It depends on how it's distributed.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:04 PM

191 posts, read 221,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
most women have cellulite

bellies never stopped men. this is america. i would say that bellies are more common than 6pks

however, according to previous threads on here. your body specs says your obese. you need to drop down to around 97 lbs. to be presentable
97 lbs? Are you joking? She would be seriously underweight.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:32 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,210,178 times
I like revealing clothes and chubby women, but not together. I don't know you're body type so don't take my comment to heart. But when I see a girl that her clothes are too tight on her and her stomach sags a bit, then it's a turn off FOR ME. Again, i love chubby women and i love revealing clothes, but not a chubby girl in revealing clothing. It doesn't look right for me.

Old 11-30-2014, 02:43 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,877,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
It is offensive to call someone fat, but I also agree with what you're saying. No one should be shamed or feel like they're worthless because they carry extra pounds, but on the other hand -- we need to start thinking about over indulging in rich foods or eating too big of portions of food for what it is .. it's akin to smoking or drinking too much. Yes, genetics are involved and everyone's healthy weight is different .. women and men come in all shapes and sizes and carry their weight in different places, but extra large is not a natural or healthy size. 30 lbs overweight is not "no big deal." It is a big deal -- a detriment to one's health and it should be addressed. If someone is 10 lbs overweight, they shouldn't respond with self loathing, but they should think ... hmmmm..... I'm doing something wrong with my diet and exercise regimen. I need to make some adjustments. Telling someone who is 5'2" and 140 lbs that she's not overweight at all isn't doing her any favors.
Why it offensive to call someone fat, it's not offensive to call someone skinny?

When I had a physical a few years ago the physician assistant told me I could lose a few pounds, I asked him if he meant I was getting fat, he said yes and we both laughed.

I asked him why he didn't just say so. He told me that women who had physicals/ doctors appt. in the past would cry, moan and complain to his bosses when he broached the subject in the past. Which shows how STUPID some people can be.

What do these delusional people want a medical pro to lie to them? Imagine being diagnosed with cancer and someone just telling you that you "might" be sick, get real adults should be able to deal with the truth straight up with no chaser.

BTW I'm a guy 5' 10" Highschool weight 118-120#, later in life 170-209# dropped 49# in 6 months by eating 1 meal a day and cutting back on alcohol. No outside help, I plan on toning up and losing a little more.

Personally I'm not attracted to heavy women, lots of other guys are. In regards to that line women sometimes use about loving them if they gained a lot of weight is a lazy cop out. If a guy wanted a heavy woman it's what they would seek out in the first place, not that hard to find.

Plenty of chubby chasers out there. Those excuses about gaining weight is a personal choice, yes it's harder when you get older. Several generations ago people were slimmer.

The Op should stay away from unflattering clothes, people of both genders look bad highlighting their flaws. Just like a guy with a bad comb over your only fooling yourself.

Old 11-30-2014, 03:41 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,668,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Why it offensive to call someone fat, it's not offensive to call someone skinny?

When I had a physical a few years ago the physician assistant told me I could lose a few pounds, I asked him if he meant I was getting fat, he said yes and we both laughed.

I asked him why he didn't just say so. He told me that women who had physicals/ doctors appt. in the past would cry, moan and complain to his bosses when he broached the subject in the past. Which shows how STUPID some people can be.

What do these delusional people want a medical pro to lie to them? Imagine being diagnosed with cancer and someone just telling you that you "might" be sick, get real adults should be able to deal with the truth straight up with no chaser.

BTW I'm a guy 5' 10" Highschool weight 118-120#, later in life 170-209# dropped 49# in 6 months by eating 1 meal a day and cutting back on alcohol. No outside help, I plan on toning up and losing a little more.

Personally I'm not attracted to heavy women, lots of other guys are. In regards to that line women sometimes use about loving them if they gained a lot of weight is a lazy cop out. If a guy wanted a heavy woman it's what they would seek out in the first place, not that hard to find.

Plenty of chubby chasers out there. Those excuses about gaining weight is a personal choice, yes it's harder when you get older. Several generations ago people were slimmer.

The Op should stay away from unflattering clothes, people of both genders look bad highlighting their flaws. Just like a guy with a bad comb over your only fooling yourself.
You and I are about the same dimensions. I'm 5'10", and I was 145-150 or so throughout most of my high school years, I think. I ballooned up to 210 at my fattest. At that weight, I looked "average" by US standards, and no one really called me out for being fat ... only my wife would complain when she saw me with my shirt off. I figured I should get down to a healthy weight ... about 180 or so, so I changed my diet and exercised. I got down to way below 180. (My perception was so out of whack, I thought that was a healthy weight for me ... it's not ... that's too many pounds for my frame.) I now fluctuate between 150 and 160... if I tip the scale at over 160, I know it's time to increase the exercise and cut back on something. My diet and exercise routine is very reasonable.

My wife is 5'2" and she was 140 at her fattest. Again, she didn't really look fat by US standards, but she was a bit chubby. She's now 110, and she doesn't look emaciated at all. She looks pretty normal.
We're now pushing 40, and we're just a few pounds more than we were in high school. Neither of us live in the gym, and we don't survive on bean sprouts and carrots. We eat normal, healthy meals. I'm convinced that people who are a lot fatter than they were in their late teens are doing something very, very unreasonable with their diets and exercise routines, but they don't realize it because the US standard is so off kilter. A women who's hauling around 30 extra pounds probably eats atrociously, but she doesn't even realize it because her diet is pretty normal (or even good) by US standards.

So yeah, I agree with you that we should be more blunt when it comes to weight. Healthy weights (as determined by doctors, not your best friend) should be widely publicized and people should be encouraged to make some lifestyle adjustments if they're not within those ranges. Still, no reason to call anyone fat ... that's just rude.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:58 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,235,996 times
Cellulite isn't, but a untoned belly is.

Start crunching those abs, and tie 140 lb to your legs to maintain stable position. Eat a healthy diet of pulses, veggies, fruits, and whole grains. Motivate yourself by making it a point to rock those abs on your 21st birthday

Old 11-30-2014, 06:04 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,209,281 times
That doesn't mean anything. Telling someone they are almost obese at 5'3" and 140 is ridiculous and mean. It truly serves no purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty