Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 01:33 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,992,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prple View Post
I've held off on buying skinny jeans because I think bootcut looks much better on me. Seems like the skinny jean trend is not going away.
I read somewhere that bootcut jeans are the new mom jeans!? What do you think? Are they dated?
IMO, "mom jeans" is a term used to describe unflattering jeans. I imagine something like this:

Mod cut: Copyrighted image deleted.

I still wear bootcut or flare jeans. I've never bought a pair of skinny jeans. I may not be trendy, but I don't think I look bad or dated. If I do, no one will tell me, I guess.

I personally think that about 80% of the women wearing skinny jeans have no business doing so and I wish the trend would go away. Boyfriend jeans really are no better; they actually look like "mom jeans" if you ask me. It's just another style that only really looks good on thin women with long legs that have no muscle.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-29-2016 at 09:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 07:37 AM

40 posts, read 44,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prple View Post
I've held off on buying skinny jeans because I think bootcut looks much better on me. Seems like the skinny jean trend is not going away.
I read somewhere that bootcut jeans are the new mom jeans!? What do you think? Are they dated?
Yes they are. I walk right on past that section, in stores...lol

Old 12-16-2014, 11:12 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,654,874 times
Stylist Rachel Zoe always wears boot-cut jeans, or even "bell-bottom" jeans and they're always really long, scraping the ground.

Mod cut: Copyrighted images deleted.

Rachel Zoe Photos - Rachel Zoe and Family Stop for Froyo - Zimbio

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-29-2016 at 09:16 PM..

Old 12-16-2014, 11:33 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Stylist Rachel Zoe always wears boot-cut jeans, or even "bell-bottom" jeans and they're always really long, scraping the ground.
That was a thing for awhile, sometime in the 70's. They were designed to be worn over platform shoes, and to cover the whole shoe. That look really is dated. But a more conservative bootcut isn't.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:19 AM

732 posts, read 969,071 times
I still like how good-fitting bootcuts & other flaired jeans look on women, but those jeans Rachel Zoe's wearing in those photos look way too long, imo. Why cover up shoes?

I notice a lot of people wear their jeans longer than in the past, sometimes lengths that scrape the ground and lengths to where they step on the hems. Why?! I'm aware that high-end jeans come in one length fits all, but it isn't hard to at least stitch up the hems at four corners (and iron creases for the new hems) if a person doesn't want to pay a tailor and doesn't want to take the time to sew the hems all the way around.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_DC View Post
I don't agree. I think that they flatter curvy figures as well. It depend son the fit and the rest of the outfit.

I like bootcut jeans and I don't think that they look dated but it depends on the wash and the fit. I only see bootcut jeans as mom jeans when they are hitched up in the crotch and a really really pale blue wash with a baggy fit.
I thought the primary thing that defines mom & dad jeans are jeans that have the waistline pulled up to the armpits... well, high-waist jeans like the ones worn in the 80s.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Same here.
I've worn bootcuts all my life, too, as a practicality. At my age, I'm so used to that comfortable fit other pants just don't feel as good.

I think they flatter most adult women more than the skinny jeans; the skinny jeans look good on young girls, but a full grown woman has to have long legs and straight knees to really look good in them, and the skinny style really only flatters a slim figure.
Imo, regardless of age, skinny jeans only look right on slender figures, but bootcuts seem to work for most any figures.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:28 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
One reason women sometimes wear jeans too long is because they get ones to wear with both a heeled shoe or boot and a flatter soled shoe, versus getting different lengths to wear with different heights of heel.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:14 AM

555 posts, read 804,821 times
OP, get whatever makes you look good, pure and simple.

FWIW, people started calling bootcut jeans "mom jeans" to boost sales of skinny jeans. For a long, long time, lower rise (relative to what was on the market before) bootcut jeans dominated the market (no doubt because they made many women look great), and after a while, people had little reason to buy new jeans since their perfect bootcuts fit them perfectly.

But if you, fashion designer/retailer, are going to move a large inventory of clothing season after season, you must create a sense of demand, i.e. a sense of insecurity among the masses, hence the push for skinny jeans and the relabeling of bootcuts as "mom jeans" (since, apparently, it's uncool to self-identify as a mom).

In fact, bootcut jeans are the exact opposite of what "mom jeans" are. The real "mom jeans" are featured in that infamous Saturday Night Live "mom jeans" skit. You will note those jeans look nothing like typical bootcuts; they have a much higher rise, pleats at the waist, light wash, and (gasp! for all those people currently touting straight leg jeans) straight leg or slightly tapered: Mom Jeans | Video | Saturday Night Live | NBC

Not surprisingly, designers and retailers are at it again so they can sell more jeans. For several years now, they've been trying to spread the word that skinny jeans are outdated and have been pushing "straight leg boyfriend jeans," "high-waisted denim shorts," wide leg/flares, and...you guessed it: high waisted "mom jeans!" LOL Some years down the road, I would not be surprised if skinny jeans were suddenly relabeled "mom jeans." Hey, anything to make a buck, right?

Having been through the entire straight jean/skinny jean/wide leg jean/bootcut jean cycle once already, I'm inclined to buy whatever makes me look good, regardless what the fashion mags say -- though I do love keeping track of trends; they make for great laughs.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:27 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That was a thing for awhile, sometime in the 70's. They were designed to be worn over platform shoes, and to cover the whole shoe. That look really is dated. But a more conservative bootcut isn't.
Lol...quite. The "disco pants" use of bells is wayyyyyy dated. I had a couple pairs of bells, back in junior high. My favorites were actual Navy issue dungarees. I still have a couple pair of these. Very utilitarian pants. Was wearing them before they were trendy, growing up with the Navy.

After my Dad retired from service we went into ranch life, and boot cuts were the thing. Levi 517s were what I broke in with. They were what Dad wore. As I grew though, my frame changed. My legs are a bit heavier built than my Dads were, SK I went to Wranglers. I needed a more relieved inseam , crotch and seat.

That's what I still wear, but when I ride I've taken to a couple pair of wool cavalry pants I have. I've seen a lot of the rodeo cowboys I know using this type of pant as well. Way old school, but they do work well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty