Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2014, 03:14 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,699,043 times

Advertisements

Do you believe advertising perfect body is harmfull for women? Written in better english read here Petition · Apologise for, and amend the irresponsible marketing of your new bra range 'Body' · Change.org

What is your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 07:01 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
absolutely NOT. You can argue that everybody has perfect body.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:31 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,548,232 times
I think body refers to the name of the bra not about the model's figures but they had to know the other meaning would come across and the reputation of the victoria's secret model for being attractive, I am glad this is getting a backlash I never watch their tv specials.

The models in your photo do not look as thin as in another of the perfect body ads I saw but still I think it does hurt women's feelings.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:15 PM

174 posts, read 332,659 times
It's not harmful at all. As it stands, a lot of men and women today could use some healthy eating and exercise.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:14 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,011 times
Those women look quite healthy to me with very attainable bodies. Eat right, exercise regularly, and get sufficient sleep, and this is what you look like.

But I'm sure there are more than a few women out there that will go full ana, starve down to 83 lbs., and walk onto Maury with three months to live protesting against such unrealistic expectations.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:08 PM

4,563 posts, read 5,416,094 times
I think the petition is just silly and stupid. You know the only place where people complain about this? USA. No European county complains where companies have ads/campaigns etc. that speak of "Perfect Bodies". Most of the bodies (shape and weight) that you see in "perfect body" or similar ads can absolutely be achieved by the majority of people if they just ate right and exercised.

I have NO problem with "perfect body" campaigns by clothing companies just like I have no problem with "Have perfect white teeth" from toothpaste companies, "Have perfect beautiful hair" by shampoo companies, or "Improve your intelligence" by book publishers and public library campaigns.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:53 PM

706 posts, read 1,179,837 times
I think it's idiotic as are the whiners who started it.

But it has become common for the lazy to complain and protest about things in the media that remind them of how lazy and undisciplined they are. Can't push yourself away from the table and put the fork down? Don't try....just make a petition complaining about those who can rubbing it in your face through the media. Too lazy to get off your butt and work for the body you want? No problem...declare yourself "big and beautiful" and call any and everthing that flies in the face of that thinking as "fat shaming and not inclusive". Problem solved!

Old 11-10-2014, 05:23 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
Do you believe advertising perfect body is harmfull for women?

What is your opinion?
I know for a fact that it does. I'm not talking about fat women who try to pretend they aren't fat by using those silly labels "plus sized," "curvy," "voluptuous," "BBW," etc. . . Fat women know it's not true and their weight is unhealthy, but just want to make themselves feel better. However, the opposite is true also. I'm talking about girls/women who are normal or slightly above normal weight who are convinced they are fat and ugly because they don't conform to the unrealistic standards set by the fashion industry about what the "perfect" woman should look like. My specialty in my graduate Psychology work was eating disorders, so I heard about it and saw it firsthand. It isn't pretty.

Consider how much money and time is invested in criticizing women's looks/weight and how disproportionately huge that criticism is compared to discussing men's looks/weight. Women need to be skinny, with no cellulite, no wrinkles, perfect lips, boobs, butt, flat abs, perfect attitude, perfect hair, nails, and absolutely no hair in undesirable places. I could go on and on, but that would take a book. In bulimic and anorexic girls, I heard over and over again that they believed they were fat, no matter what their weight, and the basis they used for their unrealistic comparison were 6' tall, 120 lb models in clothing catalogs, many of whom are eating disordered themselves. How many women truly look like that naturally? Very few. My neighbor's daughter is currently hospitalized with anorexia. She almost died from the disease. Anorexia and bulimia are fatal diseases, not just diets gone overboard.

We need to teach our daughters and wives, and remember ourselves, that being a successful woman isn't all about looks and the number on the scale. That attitude is so ingrained in Americans it takes us shifting our perceptions. That is a change long overdue, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty