Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 01:05 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,898,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
If you can't figure that out, it just means you're hella old
Or not infantile...I have no idea what is sick about it either. Is it sick...he likes it - or sick - POS?

BTW...when did ''hella'' become part of the English language? It is a name of Germanic origin.

I consider being ''hella old'' a badge of honor as I have already waded my way through the crappy BS others have yet to navigate. Have fun with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 03:21 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Here ya' go buddy. If these bad boys don't bring out your masculine side then there's no hope for you....

UTILIKILTS - American made Utility Kilts for Everyday Wear.
Hey, Sean Connery pulled it off brilliantly I don't know if this thread is real, but it's a great topic anyway. What makes a guy look masculine? I believe it depends on the guy, but as a woman, I will tell you nothing turns women off faster than a guy who is not well groomed. So get rid of that icky bushy beard, if you have one. If you want a beard or goatee, trim and shape it regularly. Also, clothes that look slovenly aren't attractive either, so make sure your clothes fit well, whatever your weight. If they fit you well, even if you're heavy, they will flatter you much more. Also, try to wear a style you're comfortable with. Don't go outside your comfort zone too much because otherwise it will just look like you're wearing someone else's clothes.

Last edited by Scooby Snacks; 10-17-2014 at 03:39 PM..

Old 10-17-2014, 09:05 PM

634 posts, read 897,767 times
Awright, the rainbow cowboy and men in tights is going a little bit too far, LOL.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:08 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
Tight pants and ray bans with a camouflage scarf seems to work for me but if you must alright. add kinky boots too

Old 10-23-2014, 09:13 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,887,429 times
It's not the greatest first post, but it didn't deserve the mockery it got. The one piece of advice I can give is one of the shorter Frye boots, maybe black but probably dark brown. Or a cheaper brand that looks like that and fits well.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:31 AM

24 posts, read 28,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofball83 View Post
Lets face it... I am a city person who was sheltered and wears simple cloths but this year I want to make it a purpose to dress masculine. [...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
First thing you need to do is stop wearing cloths and start wearing clothes. Cloths are just not masculine enough. Tarzan got away with it, but only because he hung out with monkeys mostly.

Seriously, there are a lot of different definitions of masculine, though. [...]
LOL. I had to laugh at the image of a sheltered city person who wears simple cloths. I don't know...I guy who goes around wearing cloths might look pretty darn masculine! Eye-catching, at the very least.

To the OP: I agree with Nicci that finding a masculine look appropriate to you probably depends on many factors: the age of people you are wishing will think you look masculine; the city where you live; *your* age; your body type.

However, I can give you my thoughts on clothing that looks masculine, much like Nicci did in her post.

The masculine style to me is summed up by one word: simplicity. Other words to describe masculine attire are practical, relaxed, confident, solid.

I would recommend the following for everyday wear to exude a confident masculinity:

Dark pants -- jeans or dress pants. Not too tight but not too loose.

A button-down, long-sleeved shirt. NOT short-sleeved. I recommend a solid color such as dark plum, deep sky-blue, or dark green, or a muted plaid. Unbutton the top several buttons for a casual, confident appearance and keep the shirt untucked, which makes you look relaxed. Roll up the sleeves slightly to give you the appearance of being ready to work and do something useful. IMPORTANT: you want a shirt that isn't that tight, because you want a shirt that will accentuate the broadness of your shoulders.

Optional: wear a solid color T-shirt or turtleneck under the button-down, long-sleeved shirt. (This is best for colder days and enables you to mix together more colors.)

Sweater -- v-neck but button-down. The benefit of a button-down sweater is that you can unbutton it to stay cooler when needed, and it creates the thought that you can take it off easily without struggling. Masculine = doesn't struggle. (This is the stereotype, at least.) Again, you want a sweater that is cut so that it will accentuate the broadness of your shoulders. If your shoulders are naturally quite broad compared to the rest of you, this may not be a concern, but if you have narrow shoulders, then I'd recommend a sweater that is slightly loose around your shoulders. Choose a sweater that has a seam between the shoulders and the arms.

Shoes -- walking shoes that are somewhat chunky; skinny, thin dress shoes look too delicate. Short boots are fine if they fit under your pants. Currently the fashion seems to be to match brown shoes with blue or black pants, but I'd go with black shoes, because when I see someone wearing brown shoes, I think he is following the herd of what is fashionable now. The key to looking masculine, I think, is to make it look like you don't succumb too much to social pressure (even if you kinda do).

I found some links to images of clothing that looks masculine to me, hoping this might help:

http://www.malestandard.com/wp-conte..._1024x1024.jpg

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73...5dd69280cd.jpg

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73...f1c593f325.jpg

^ Notice how this sweater was designed to accentuate the broadness of the shoulders by using a solid knit for the chest and shoulders, and a striped pattern for the (muscle-hugging) sleeves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty