Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 05:25 AM

88,676 posts, read 84,974,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Black tie does not demand a floor length gown. A classy, not too revealing cocktail dress will do.
Thanks, but in photos I've seen of the previous formal events with this organization, all of the women are in floor-length dresses. A cocktail dress styled so that it is proportioned to fit properly and not too short on me would be only slightly easier to find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 09:19 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,613,229 times
Mighty Queen, that would be a problem for me too. I have nothing in my closet for a very fancy do, but I do keep a pair of dressy black pants that I can pair with a sparkly top or something else appropriate for the occasion. Could you perhaps do the same thing with a long black skirt in a dressy fabric? I think there's a ton of long skirts out there now. Then you'd be ready for an invitation like this. Sorry you're missing it.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:59 AM

88,676 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Mighty Queen, that would be a problem for me too. I have nothing in my closet for a very fancy do, but I do keep a pair of dressy black pants that I can pair with a sparkly top or something else appropriate for the occasion. Could you perhaps do the same thing with a long black skirt in a dressy fabric? I think there's a ton of long skirts out there now. Then you'd be ready for an invitation like this. Sorry you're missing it.
You know, I thought of that. I used to have a long black skirt that I wore with a sparkly top to a holiday thing once. Not sure I still have it. If I had a little more time it wouldn't be as much of a problem, but maybe I could keep something handy for the future just in case.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:16 PM

37,147 posts, read 41,343,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You know, I thought of that. I used to have a long black skirt that I wore with a sparkly top to a holiday thing once. Not sure I still have it. If I had a little more time it wouldn't be as much of a problem, but maybe I could keep something handy for the future just in case.
Check out stores that sell bridesmaid dresses. Some come as separates, and you might even find a skirt in black.

Edited to add: consignment shops might be a source, too, though you'd have to get lucky.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 12-04-2014 at 12:25 PM..

Old 12-04-2014, 12:35 PM

20,770 posts, read 20,007,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
I'm 5'6" and also need tall pants. I have long legs and a short torso. It's quite frustrating........
oh please!

Old 12-04-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks, but in photos I've seen of the previous formal events with this organization, all of the women are in floor-length dresses. A cocktail dress styled so that it is proportioned to fit properly and not too short on me would be only slightly easier to find.
Shorter dresses are tough, too. Because they look appropriate on shorter women but they always look a notch too sexy for tall women cuz of course they end way above the knee.

I always order stuff from a catalogue that looks appropriate for work and my female coworkers can wear them and look innocently. I either can't wear it cuz it's too sexy or I have to wear flat shoes to tone it down.

Sorry Mightyqueen for your dilemma. I feel for you.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:01 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,243,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
oh please!
Not in the least bit surprised by this comment. I've dealt with hateful, catty women my entire life. Nothing new here.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:51 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,853,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
And the reason why they don't stock many longer lengths is because most women are not that tall. I think the average height for a woman is 5'5" or 5'6"?

Lol. 5'6"?? Try 5'4". And expect it to continue to get shorter. With increased immigration from countries known for short stature, the average height for both sexes will go down.

For that same reason, blue eyes are becoming increasingly less common here.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:21 AM

32,963 posts, read 36,449,858 times
Quote:
You should find, invest in, one really nice dress or skirt. Years ago, I found the ultimate Little Black Dress. I've had it for decades. It has a jewel neckline, it's sleeveless and knee length. I've worn it to funerals, cocktail parties and formal dinners. You just need to change the accessories.

I bought it at Discount Warehouse in Pittston, PA. I think I paid forty or fifty dollars for the dress. It seemed like a lot of money to me at the time.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
Not in the least bit surprised by this comment. I've dealt with hateful, catty women my entire life. Nothing new here.
sorry, but a short woman chiming in at tall people's complaining about height related issues is just weird. Don't tell me you have inseam 34" or longer.

Your dog is cute though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty