Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2014, 10:07 PM

10,117 posts, read 19,463,725 times

Advertisements

I have severe arthritis in both hands, along with other places. I find ironing difficult. Anyone able to recommend a steam iron that's easy to use, not too heavy, swivel cord? Also, how about a steamer. I saw one on TV but forgot the details, but you hang it on a clothes rack and steam, it freshens up wrinkles.

Isnt' there some sort of iron the Arthritis Foundation endorses? A search just reveals iron supplements for arthritis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 10:37 PM

419 posts, read 849,061 times
In my younger, lazier days before I owned an iron: I took wrinkled clothes from the dresser and threw them into the dryer on HIGH for 30 minutes while I was showering. Might've faded clothes quicker, in addition to being a fire hazard. But putting on hot clothes on a chilly morning hit the spot and they looked pretty good too!

Old 10-08-2014, 11:39 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,801,220 times
My mother got tired of her heavy iron and bought a travel iron. I have one as well. They do the job just as well while only weighing bout one third of what a regular iron weighs.

I found an Oreck steam iron at a thrift store, they are very expensive and now I know why, it's the best steam iron on the planet, and it is cordless.

You can search for AF endorsed products here: Arthritis Ease of Use Products | Arthritis Foundation

Unfortunately, they do not endorse any laundry care devices.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:02 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,624,658 times
I use one of those "professional" stand steamers, like they use in clothing stores. I've used it almost daily for 25 years. Haven't used an iron in all that time. It would be good for arthritic hands I imagine as you only have to move a wand up and down the fabric.

They're available everywhere now and at very reasonable prices. I don't believe hand steamers are quite as effective since the stand steamers put out a lot more steam.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
My mother got tired of her heavy iron and bought a travel iron. I have one as well. They do the job just as well while only weighing bout one third of what a regular iron weighs.

I found an Oreck steam iron at a thrift store, they are very expensive and now I know why, it's the best steam iron on the planet, and it is cordless.

You can search for AF endorsed products here: Arthritis Ease of Use Products | Arthritis Foundation

Unfortunately, they do not endorse any laundry care devices.
Thanks, that's the info I was looking for!

Old 10-09-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
I use one of those "professional" stand steamers, like they use in clothing stores. I've used it almost daily for 25 years. Haven't used an iron in all that time. It would be good for arthritic hands I imagine as you only have to move a wand up and down the fabric.

They're available everywhere now and at very reasonable prices. I don't believe hand steamers are quite as effective since the stand steamers put out a lot more steam.
I will look for a stand steamer, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty