Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2014, 03:19 AM

1,430 posts, read 1,403,904 times

Advertisements

There is no "sexy" after 40. Maybe 45, for some.
Once I saw a really beautiful old woman, around 60, she was swimming. This was this rarest case when "sexy" word could be applicable. She got out of the pool, went to the shower, and took her swimming cap off. Butt-long flow of strong thick gray hair covered her entire (very well preserved) body. She instantly became looking 15 years older. After she put on old shapeless jeans and a baggy pullover, she was just a regular old gal. I almost cried watching this beauty disappearing in front of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 04:17 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,434,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Says who, your boyfriend?
THe majority of men do not find short hair on a woman attractive and we often grumble when a woman we found attractive chops off her locks. Kathryn Aragon, why are you so determined to look like a male? I seriously curious
That's a rather absurd question given that long hair was the style even for MEN in centuries past and is still acceptable today. Better questions would be, "Why are you so rigid in your definition of female beauty? Do you insist that boys should be dressed in blue and girls in pink? Do you feel emasculated knowing that women are concerned with being comfortable and focused on their work and their interests, rather than allowing men to define what is attractive on them?"

Old 10-06-2014, 05:18 AM

3,862 posts, read 6,338,707 times
When I was about six, my hair was cut very short, so much that I looked like a little boy until I started to look like a girl in other areas years later. My hair will be long for my entire adult life out of spite, regardless of what anyone else thinks of it.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:28 AM

19,718 posts, read 17,030,818 times
My ex GF is a hairdresser and she always had short hair and looked great. She and I agreed that older women looked better in short hair. I ran into her about a year ago and she now had long hair (trying to regain her youth, I suspect) and she looked terrible. It aged her by 20 years.

As we age our hair begins to appear much more dry and long hair starts looking like dried straw on a woman, IMO. Not soft and flowing like a young woman's hair.

Don

Old 10-06-2014, 05:31 AM

3,862 posts, read 6,338,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
My ex GF is a hairdresser and she always had short hair and looked great. She and I agreed that older women looked better in short hair. I ran into her about a year ago and she now had long hair (trying to regain her youth, I suspect) and she looked terrible. It aged her by 20 years.

As we age our hair begins to appear much more dry and long hair starts looking like dried straw on a woman, IMO. Not soft and flowing like a young woman's hair.

Don
That's what conditioner is for.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:32 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,894,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Says who, your boyfriend?
THe majority of men do not find short hair on a woman attractive and we often grumble when a woman we found attractive chops off her locks. Kathryn Aragon, why are you so determined to look like a male? I seriously curious
"I seriously curious" why you think I would give a rat's arse what the majority of men find attractive, when I have a fabulous husband who treats me like a queen and who thinks I'm the most sensual, sexy woman he's ever met.

Oh, and by the way, as a single adult in my forties, I never had a problem attracting plenty of men (actually more men than was even convenient). In fact, my twenty year old son told me at the time, "Dang, Mom - you got more game than I do."

I'll say it again - long hair looks great on some women and short hair looks great on some women. I think women should wear whatever hairstyle is the most pleasing to them, without worrying about what "the majority of men find attractive."

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 10-06-2014 at 07:00 AM..

Old 10-06-2014, 07:04 AM

68,437 posts, read 54,934,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Long hair emphasizes the downward direction of facial wrinkles. I have enough issues without accenting them! Same reason I wear earrings slanted away from my face and avoid the really long dangly ones.
I wouldn't worry, I've seen any number of older women with wrinkles looking very sexy and attractive, the key seems to be they all had something they were passionate about be it their job, a cause, their art, their music, etc.. The light in their eyes and the joy in their laugh just said they'd earned those wrinkles.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:09 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,894,349 times
Oh, if younger men had any idea how little older women cared what they thought of their laugh lines or less than perfect figures - both of which have been well earned. We also don't care what they think about our hair.

Apparently, they ain't studyin' us - and we ain't studyin' them. Works for me!

That being said, long story short, I had a twenty something guy proposition me at a bar one night when I was meeting up with some girlfriends during my early forties single days. He was serious too. I hate to admit it, but I laughed at him (albeit gently). I was frankly aghast at the very idea - actually it was sort of repulsive to me. I had kids his age. YUCK!

Old 10-06-2014, 07:18 AM

17,659 posts, read 39,508,282 times
Here's the thing, people - it's different strokes for different folks! KathrynAragon has thick hair which looks fantastic short on her. On me, not so much. I am a long-haired kind of girl, always have been. My hair is baby-fine and not that thick. As I said before, it is still soft and shiny and looks good long.

And to the poster who said "no sexy after 40?" Hehehe, well who says? I bet there are women out there in their 60s that you would have no clue how old they were based on how good they look. Being sexy and attractive is also about more that just the surface looks and body as someone else mentioned. It is about vibrance, an infectious laugh and a twinkle in the eye.

Anyhoo, I am sticking with my long hair, and while I don't want to brag, at 65 I can still turn a man's head now and then. (Besides my husband, who compliments me daily)

Old 10-06-2014, 07:23 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,740,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
There is no "sexy" after 40. Maybe 45, for some.
Once I saw a really beautiful old woman, around 60, she was swimming. This was this rarest case when "sexy" word could be applicable. She got out of the pool, went to the shower, and took her swimming cap off. Butt-long flow of strong thick gray hair covered her entire (very well preserved) body. She instantly became looking 15 years older. After she put on old shapeless jeans and a baggy pullover, she was just a regular old gal. I almost cried watching this beauty disappearing in front of me.
I strongly disagree with this. There are plenty of women over 40 who exercise, take care of their bodies, groom themselves well, dress nicely, know how to carry themselves, and are quite sexy. The woman you described from the pool was sexy until she dressed herself down, which btw some women do on purpose because they get tired of being hit on all the time. As for hair, I prefer long hair, regardless of a woman's age, but some women look great with short hair and it's a personal choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty