Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 10:17 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,346,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
More than once I have heard snide remarks about "Who does think she is with that long hair? She's 70, not 20! Its pathetic, she's too old for long hair."
LOL seriously? Must be a Texas thing. I can't fathom anyone here in California (at least not in the Bay Area where I live) saying that. And women of all ages have hair of all kinds out here. In fact, I don't know anyone who passes judgement in that way, with such a personal affront to how a stranger dresses. "Who does she think she is?" Really? WOW. Worst you get around here is maybe, "Oh, that's not a good look," muttered to a friend. But the tone is definitely more amusement than anger. After all, it's not MY body so what do I care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 10:57 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,268,097 times
I'm 47 and have never had short hair in my life....unless you count toddlerhood lol.

I just don't look right with short hair. Suspect it will continue this way until I'm dead

Women who can pull of the super short hair look have to be pixie-thin to get away with it IMPO. Otherwise it's just not a flattering look for most of us.....regardless of age.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:59 PM

14,228 posts, read 30,124,189 times
I'm one of those old bags with short hair. And it's because I have awful hair. If I had nice hair I would wear it much longer.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:04 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,268,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I'm one of those old bags with short hair. And it's because I have awful hair. If I had nice hair I would wear it much longer.
My mother has always had short hair. I have never seen her with long hair....ever! Funny thing is she has always had luxurious hair....it would have looked really nice long. Now she's 78 so probably a little late to consider a hairdo makeover.

My hair has grown thinner in the past few years, which has made me more self conscious about it. It's not overly thin though or anything.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:55 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,107,450 times
I am 61 and still have long hair, mid shoulder length, no plans on cutting it short anytime soon, if ever. My hair is still brown but I have a few grays.....you have to be pretty close to me to even notice them. {Thanks Mom}

I often hear "You don't look 61." I think that has more to do with my hair, the way I dress and the fact that I am "thin" , 5'5" 116 lbs., than anything. If they saw me with my hair up, in my bathrobe, they wouldn't say that.

And, I'm not so sure short hair is easier. Usually, with short hair, it take frequent trips to the hairdresser for a trim to keep it looking good and needs some styling everyday to keep its shape.

With plain, long, straight hair I can just run a brush through it and look presentable, although I usually curl the ends under before I go somewhere.....and I only get it trimmed once a year....about 5-6 inches cut off. That's literally $20 a year I spend at the hairdresser's.

However, since my mid fifties, I can no longer get away with cheap shampoo and conditioner. Now I have to use expensive shampoo, conditioner and almond oil to keep the texture of my hair in shape.

When I was in high school, my Dad was always telling me I should get my hair cut short, like my mother's. Sometimes, when I am blow drying my hair, I look in the mirror and think to myself, "Well Dad, here I am, 40 some years later and I still haven't cut my hair."

Anyway, I don't think older women are expected to have short hair as much as they were in the past.

Last edited by Annie53; 10-04-2014 at 12:20 AM..

Old 10-04-2014, 12:57 AM

8 posts, read 11,272 times
Hi there, I am new here, glad to meet you all.

For me, it doesn't matter if your hair is long and short as long as you know how to carry it and it fits to you.
I have a hobby that every year I go to the salon, then if in the previous year my hair is long I will going to make it short or sometimes I make it curl.. It's just a simple hobby for me that describe that this coming year is a year of change. So I make changes by changing the way I look through my hair style.

Old 10-04-2014, 12:57 AM

15,648 posts, read 26,356,134 times
I went short because of hot flashes.... didn't work. Not pixie -- think Princess Diana. And it grows so fast, I'm thinking of going back.

Problem is I've had long hair for so long, people love the change and complement me on it all the time.

Which backs up my thinking that it isn't that long hair is aging, it's more people get stuck on a look and THAT is aging. How many people do you see sporting mullets? Wash and sets with so much hair spray lacquered on? Long straight hair parted in the middle? I saw a 60 year old woman wearing a "that Girl" flip a month ago.

Change it up -- when my hair was longer I had several styles I wore -- ponytail, French roll, and messy bun with a clip, enameled hairpins, down and curly, down and straighter.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:31 AM

36,753 posts, read 14,900,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I went short because of hot flashes.... didn't work. Not pixie -- think Princess Diana. And it grows so fast, I'm thinking of going back.

Problem is I've had long hair for so long, people love the change and complement me on it all the time.

Which backs up my thinking that it isn't that long hair is aging, it's more people get stuck on a look and THAT is aging. How many people do you see sporting mullets? Wash and sets with so much hair spray lacquered on? Long straight hair parted in the middle? I saw a 60 year old woman wearing a "that Girl" flip a month ago.

Change it up -- when my hair was longer I had several styles I wore -- ponytail, French roll, and messy bun with a clip, enameled hairpins, down and curly, down and straighter.
Amen.

There's a world of difference between long hair and "butch" cuts, and I don't know anyone who'd have considered Diana unfeminine.

I'm lucky enough to have a good head of hair, and it's currently shoulder-length. That allows me to wear it up in the summer, too. When I want a change, I have it cut shorter (though not extremely short), and I love thick, long bangs swept to the side. Hair grows, ladies! And variety IS the spice of life.

Women of a certain age aren't "expected" to cut their hair. But if they think that having the same style they did at 20 makes them appear...20, they'd better think again. Looking 20 from behind, and like Bette Davis in Baby Jane when you turn around, is not an attractive look.

Nothing ages a woman like being stuck in a rut.

Old 10-04-2014, 03:26 AM

12,065 posts, read 10,340,527 times
I believe in the olden days when a girl became a woman/got married, she started wearing her hair up. Before they would wear it down. My grandmother had long grey hair but wore it in braids.

I don't think short hair is easier, especially hair like mine. It would be a big pouf ball. Hairdresser told me never to cut it. I've stopped coloring it and let the grey fly. Almost halfway down my back. I'm lucky that I have very thick hair, so it hangs right. I do a version of the weekly wash and curl, but it's wash and straighten.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:27 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,295,621 times
People's hair tends to get thinner and dried out when they get older, and that is not a good look for long hair.

An old lady with long hair takes the risk of looking like a hag.

I suppose there are products that can make long hair look good on elderly dames, but that sounds expensive and time consuming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty