Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 07:11 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,419,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
That may be true...

but anyone shorter than me cannot be considered tall in my eyes.

I am 5'11"... and I am the shortest in my family.
Maybe in your eyes, but I'm just relaying the math. If the OP were to have a height preference of 6' or taller (hypothetically), she eliminates 84% of men out of the pool of prospects immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 07:15 AM

22,648 posts, read 47,836,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Maybe in your eyes, but I'm just relaying the math. If the OP were to have a height preference of 6' or taller (hypothetically), she eliminates 84% of men out of the pool of prospects immediately.
Hypothetically indeed! At least in western PA.
WAY more than 16% of the men I see are taller than I.
And I don't stick out as an overly tall woman.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:15 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,082,095 times
The East Coast. The Midwest and the South (and maybe the West) suck when it comes to finding Mediterraneans.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
Why the eye-roll?

In Australia, we call them "wogs". I personally find them to be the most attractive sets of men.

But quite to the contrary, they're not always tall (since they're always associated with the term "tall, dark and handsome"). The blonde surfer types are the tall ones (mainly because of their Northern European ancestry). Wogs/guidos are usually below average in height I noticed. But that doesn't matter to me because I'm short myself.

To the OP, try New York and New Jersey. Full of people of Italian ancestry. Chicago and Los Angeles are good too.

May I ask, what city are you at? I'm guessing Atlanta or somewhere in the South?

P.S I wouldn't consider David Gandy to be "dark and handsome". His natural hair colour is obviously lighter. He also has piercing blue eyes. He's pretty much a "blonde surfer dude" trying the D&H look.
I live in Chicago and am one of those aforementioned Mediterranean featured men. There are NOT many people here of this physical type at all. I say this because I am attracted to dark women myself and they are not the norm here. Have you actually ever been here?

The largest ancestry group of European here is Polish. They can be dark, but most of them are of medium complexion, not too pale, not too dark. Aside from Polish there are a lot of German descended people here. There *might* be more Germans here than Polish but I am not sure if their number accounted for is in the Metro or the city proper. I know the city proper has a TON of Poles. Many are fresh off the boat and speak broken English. It is true that there exist Poles of all physical types, but don't count on finding an Italian looking Pole very often, if ever. Then Irish (the opposite of what she is looking for) are then the third largest European ethnic group. Italians are not a significant majority. Neither are any Mediterranean ethnic groups unless you go into specific suburbs, like in the North or Southwest burbs (many Arabs and Israelis around). You DO find Indian men on the North side by Devon Avenue (pronounced "De-Vawn" not Devin) but many are the same kind OP mentioned, fresh off the boat and not into their appearance.

As far as Latin men go, there are a lot. But many of them are Mexican who most of the time (not always) tend to be Mestizo. Not sure if the OP is into that, but if she is, then great.

Go to Pittsburgh (not the East Coast but it's got a lot of Italian men), NYC Metro, Northern Jersey, Boston, or pretty much anywhere in the Northeast. Many Rust Belt cities east of Michigan and Indiana have a lot of Italians. Even Eastern Michigan has a good Mediterranean population, not just Italians but Arabs, Romanians, and Assyrians. The Detroit metro (not the city itself as it is over 90% Black) is very diverse and home to many ethnic groups, including many from around the Mediterranean. Otherwise, Rust Belt cities to the East like Cleveland, Buffalo, and Pittsburgh work. And of course, the Northeast with the exception of maybe Vermont, NH, and Maine. Though those states have a high percentage of French ancestry, and they can be quite dark sometimes as well (but not as often as Italians or Portuguese which can be found in NY and Massachusetts) .

Last edited by EddieOlSkool; 09-16-2014 at 07:32 AM..

Old 09-16-2014, 07:23 AM

Keep in mind, most guys lie about height. I am 5'8 (a true 5'8 per the doctor's office with shoes off), and somehow many guys who are 5'10 are my height.

The way to tell a guy is lying about his height is to find a woman who is his height and says she is shorter. I know a 5'7 guy who claims he is 5'11. He is obviously a rare case to inflate it 4 inches, but I'd say most guys I know that are my height or shorter inflate theirs by 2 inches. I used to do the same thing. I would measure myself with shoes, account for added height from hair, look UP at the measuring instrument and voila, 2 inches taller. I really believed I was 5'10 until someone else measured me.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:42 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,440,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn2221 View Post
In the city I am in right now, most men are either blonde haired surfer boy types, very pale white guys, and black guys. Not that I have anything against these races but I am looking for something else in looks. What cities in the US have a lot of the Cristiano Ronaldo, David Gandy, Justin Theroux, and Joe Manganiello type of guys?

I can't seem to find any in my city.
Those aren't races.......

It sounds like you like the Latin look, go to Miami and you should be in heaven.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post

It sounds like you like the Latin look, go to Miami and you should be in heaven.
This too.

The Eastern shore of the US is always the best bet for finding dark complexions and features in non-Blacks. Where I live it's all lily white girls and it gets booooooooring. Yes many of them are beautiful, but I love variety.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:56 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,764,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post

Uh no. Latin men in Miami typically don't look like that. Almost all the men the OP mentioned have big noses and are more Italian-esque in appearance.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:46 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,077,354 times
The better question would be where are all the kind, reliable, industrious, courteous and stable men. Sometimes these types are tall, dark and handsome but often they are not.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:47 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,440,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
Uh no. Latin men in Miami typically don't look like that. Almost all the men the OP mentioned have big noses and are more Italian-esque in appearance.
Justin Theroux looks exactly like many Brazilian, Cuban, and Columbian men that I interact with all the time at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty