Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2014, 05:58 PM

551 posts, read 583,272 times

Advertisements

Over time I have accumulated tons of clothes and shoes. None of it is high end stuff. Just items I've picked up as good deals at TJ Maxx, Kohls, Express, Old Navy, Macy's, etc. I also went through a phase where I went thrift store crazy and gathered second hand items - still gently worn, or NWT (new with tags), much of it name brand.

Anyways I am trying to ditch a chunk of this stuff, and make a little cash. It's been trying! There are about four consignment shops in my local area, although I could consider branching out, I don't think it's worth it.

Previously I've had the best luck with one locally-owned consignment shop. The first time I brought in a plastic tub of items and made >$200 over the course of a couple months (a couple of years ago). This past May I brought in another plastic tub. The first time I brought things there they were excited and urged me to come back, if I had more to sell them. This time, not so much. They were pleasant but only took one quarter of what I brought. I called last week to see if I had a balance and it was up to $40. Not bad! Just nowhere near the take I made previously.

I had an interesting parallel experience with Plato's Closet. When they first moved into the area, I brought a couple tubs and they too were excited by my items. I took a bit over $100 up front. I have taken items back twice since then. One time I got around $15 (all shoes). The most recent time- $2.00 for one shirt LOL. So each time I return to these places- and it's years or months between stops, not like I go every week- I get less and less back. I wish there were a better way to sell clothes! But what? Ebay sucks; too much work, fees too high, too many competitors, etc. Craigslist here is overflowing with people trying to sell clothing items for a buck or two- each day there are 200 new listings- and this is a town of 70K at most. Maybe a thrift sale would work, but I bet the return is worse than the consignments. People demanding 0.25 items for a nickel or whatever. Plus I only have clothes, really, not any other big grabs.

What are other ideas for selling gently used (or even NWT) clothing?

ETA Not sure if this is the right forum for this? If need be, go ahead and move it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 06:07 PM

22,600 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Personally, I would just donate it and take the tax deduction/tax credit.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:06 PM

877 posts, read 1,317,310 times
We always donate

And keep for tax purposes

Old 07-13-2014, 07:49 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,723,979 times
If it's never been worn and still has the tags on it, I always try to return it back to the store I bought it from. Yes, sometimes they do give you the "you must have stole this" look for not having a receipt, but I would rather have a store credit then just giving away these new clothes.

I've also had the same experience at Plato's closet. They're super picky about the brands they will take and what year the clothing is from. I'd either have a garage sale and get rid of what you can or just donate it.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:21 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,942,522 times
My daughter has also found that places like Plato's are taking less and less stuff.

The only other places we have sold clothing is at garage sales and people will only pay $.50 - $2.00 per item unless you have the tags still on and then maybe can you get a little more. However if you have tons of clothing (like we usually do) you can make a couple hundred in a day!

I've also recently seen yard sale pages on facebook in my area. It looks like people are selling clothing there for a little more. Try a search for your area on facebook.

Otherwise like others have stated....donate. I just gathered up about 8 bags worth of clothing to be donated (I am tired of getting everything ready for garage sales). I can't believe how much clothing we accumulate!!! NEVER AGAIN! My new rule is if I buy something I have to get rid of at least two of the same types of clothing!

Old 07-14-2014, 12:40 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,770,613 times
I ebayed all the good stuff, donated the rest. But I'm an ebay lover, sooooooo YMMV.

Don't forget friends, family and neighbors, they may want them.

Plato's up here is all low to midlevel brands, only had to see it once.

All the consignment shops are bloated due to the poor economy. That's not gonna change soon.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
I just gathered up about 8 bags worth of clothing to be donated (I am tired of getting everything ready for garage sales). I can't believe how much clothing we accumulate!!! NEVER AGAIN! My new rule is if I buy something I have to get rid of at least two of the same types of clothing!
That's a really good rule- one I must institute. My shopping has scaled down considerably but.. it's so, so fun! I go in streaks, where I won't shop for months then I'll get the urge (usually around tax return time!) and kind of go crazy. Well I try to stay away from the high end or designer pieces- and I am not a handbag kind of girl, I only have a couple so that saves me tons I'm sure, LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Plato's up here is all low to midlevel brands, only had to see it once.

All the consignment shops are bloated due to the poor economy. That's not gonna change soon.
OOOoo yes ccc girl this hits on a really good point that I thought about afterwards. It's a sign of the times for sure, which apparently are still quite weak economically. I definitely notice more items in all second hand shops that I visit. Savers is CRAZY popular around here- I often donate other goods, such as toys or clothes that consignments won't take. They must have quite a crew because I've seen items I've dropped off only a week or two after the fact on the racks! Quite a turnaround, considering it's a HUGE store. (Funny anecdote- I found one of the dresses I'd donated to Savers marked $19.99, startling considering I purchased it from them, for I think $8.99 . Probably should've consigned that one.)

I will likely end up donating most of it, although the stuff with tags makes me cringe. I mean a lot of it was just impulse sales rack purchases, that I didn't love but thought why not, at that price? Macy's had really, really good sales in February around here so I went a little crazy on the winter stuff. Like sweaters for $4, originally priced $59 (although who can trust the MSRP? It's arbitrary but still looks hefty on the tag). I can't consign it yet since it's off season so that's the stuff I'm wondering what to do with.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:19 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,099,661 times
I agree donate it or put it on craigslist and sell it by the bagful or if you don't want the hassle then just donate it . also I have noticed in my area that a lot of the stores are just as cheap as the thrift stores so with that going on of course ppl are going to buy new and that is a sign of the economy being so bad .

Old 07-15-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I agree donate it or put it on craigslist and sell it by the bagful or if you don't want the hassle then just donate it . also I have noticed in my area that a lot of the stores are just as cheap as the thrift stores so with that going on of course ppl are going to buy new and that is a sign of the economy being so bad .
Here too there has been kind of a crazy streak of sales, at all stores. Since I'm such a serious shopper/deal hound I definitely notice the uptick in sales offered over the past few months, which doesn't portend good things economically. Nice for shoppers though!

Today I took a bin of things to my favorite consignment place. Surprisingly they took everything! I think the quality/brands were about the same as last time...the only difference was, I brought in fewer items. Rather than a full bin I brought about a 1/3 full bin, with a box of shoes on top and a few items on hangers. I think it's a psychological thing.. somebody mentioned this in another thread, maybe it was on here, but she or he suggested to only bring in a few items at a time. I can't remember if the poster hypothesized why this works better, but it appears that a consignees' items appear more valuable if in shorter supply. Makes sense, I guess. One of the things I brought there had been previously rejected. I liked it okay so just kept it, and this time- bam. They wanted the whole shebang. Yay

I will continue to avoid Platos though I think. I brought them some things that were on par with what was in the store, so maybe it was just that they had too much of the same thing but they always give the same reason: "too professional", "too many seasons ago," "too faded or pilled" (when 90% of the stuff there has pills and is faded to the same degree). Basically what they are trying to say is everything is not stylish or name brand enough for their high-end aspirations. I did get a cute pair of heels last time I was there so can't complain too much. The clothes usually look groddy and/or ugly ("trendy") to me though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty