Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 01:32 PM

943 posts, read 1,004,867 times

Advertisements

If you are like me sometimes you look in the mirror and wonder what other people see? The person looking back at you in the mirror certainly isn't the younger person you are eternally in your own mind!
How does a middle aged woman find some kind of solace in this world where being eternally 20 something like Jennifer Aniston, is the sought after ideal?

I found this article today and wanted to share it, because its short and sweet and because we all need to read it.
What People Really Look Like. ~ Dale Favier | elephant journal
I’ve been a massage therapist for many years now. I know what people look like.

People have been undressing for me for a long time. I know what you look like: a glance at you, and I can picture pretty well what you’d look like on my table.
Let’s start here with what nobody looks like: nobody looks like the people in magazines or movies. Not even models. Nobody. Lean people have a kind of rawboned, unfinished look about them that is very appealing. But they don’t have plump round breasts and plump round asses. You have plump round breasts and a plump round ass, you have a plump round belly and plump round thighs as well. That’s how it works. (And that’s very appealing too.)
Woman have cellulite. All of them.

It’s dimply and cute. It’s not a defect. It’s not a health problem. It’s the natural consequence of not consisting of photoshopped pixels, and not having emerged from an airbrush.
Men have silly buttocks.

Well, if most of your clients are women, anyway. You come to male buttocks and you say — what, this is it? They’re kind of scrawny and the tissue is jumpy because it’s unpadded; you have to dial back the pressure, or they’ll yelp.
Adults sag. It doesn’t matter how fit they are. Every decade, an adult sags a little more. All of the tissue hangs a little looser. They wrinkle, too. I don’t know who put about the rumor that just old people wrinkle. You start wrinkling when you start sagging, as soon as you’re all grown up, and the process goes its merry way as long as you live. Which is hopefully a long, long time, right?
Everybody on a massage table is beautiful. There are really no exceptions to this rule.

At that first long sigh, at that first thought that “I can stop hanging on now, I’m safe” – a luminosity, a glow, begins. Within a few minutes the whole body is radiant with it. It suffuses the room: it suffuses the massage therapist too. People talk about massage therapists being caretakers, and I suppose we are: we like to look after people, and we’re easily moved to tenderness. But to let you in on a secret: I’m in it for the glow.
I’ll tell you what people look like, really: they look like flames. Or like the stars, on a clear night in the wilderness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 01:57 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,458,244 times
I usually just grumble becuase it means I have to shave

Old 07-01-2014, 02:00 PM

5,209 posts, read 4,676,386 times
I think celebrities are the worst role models for aging because none of them want to age gracefully. Of course their livelihood is at stake because there are probably very few acting roles for older women. As far as popular culture goes, we just assume everyone is either 20 to 30 or try to look 20 to 30.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:21 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,371,425 times
Thanks for the OP, that was interesting.

I'm kind of glad that I don't live in a city in the sunbelt area. I live in a smallish Canadian city where being pale and middle aged with a huge derriere isn't considered the end of life as we know it... but if I lived in Miami or LA or someplace where more people were more critical about checking each other out, or obsessing about looking eternally young and lean and tanned all the time... well, I can't even imagine it, actually. I'd probably rebel and get covered in tattoos...

Old 07-01-2014, 02:38 PM

477 posts, read 801,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
I think celebrities are the worst role models for aging because none of them want to age gracefully. Of course their livelihood is at stake because there are probably very few acting roles for older women. As far as popular culture goes, we just assume everyone is either 20 to 30 or try to look 20 to 30.
I don't feel like that's as true as used to be. You have to understand, a lot of boomers are still alive. I feel like there's a lot of shows and movies about older people. Look at Sex and the City and the whole X Is the new Y mentality. I.e. 30 is the new 20.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:39 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,465,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foclampt View Post
If you are like me sometimes you look in the mirror and wonder what other people see? The person looking back at you in the mirror certainly isn't the younger person you are eternally in your own mind!
How does a middle aged woman find some kind of solace in this world where being eternally 20 something like Jennifer Aniston, is the sought after ideal?

I found this article today and wanted to share it, because its short and sweet and because we all need to read it.
What People Really Look Like. ~ Dale Favier | elephant journal
I’ve been a massage therapist for many years now. I know what people look like.

People have been undressing for me for a long time. I know what you look like: a glance at you, and I can picture pretty well what you’d look like on my table.
Let’s start here with what nobody looks like: nobody looks like the people in magazines or movies. Not even models. Nobody. Lean people have a kind of rawboned, unfinished look about them that is very appealing. But they don’t have plump round breasts and plump round asses. You have plump round breasts and a plump round ass, you have a plump round belly and plump round thighs as well. That’s how it works. (And that’s very appealing too.)
Woman have cellulite. All of them.

It’s dimply and cute. It’s not a defect. It’s not a health problem. It’s the natural consequence of not consisting of photoshopped pixels, and not having emerged from an airbrush.
Men have silly buttocks.

Well, if most of your clients are women, anyway. You come to male buttocks and you say — what, this is it? They’re kind of scrawny and the tissue is jumpy because it’s unpadded; you have to dial back the pressure, or they’ll yelp.
Adults sag. It doesn’t matter how fit they are. Every decade, an adult sags a little more. All of the tissue hangs a little looser. They wrinkle, too. I don’t know who put about the rumor that just old people wrinkle. You start wrinkling when you start sagging, as soon as you’re all grown up, and the process goes its merry way as long as you live. Which is hopefully a long, long time, right?
Everybody on a massage table is beautiful. There are really no exceptions to this rule.

At that first long sigh, at that first thought that “I can stop hanging on now, I’m safe” – a luminosity, a glow, begins. Within a few minutes the whole body is radiant with it. It suffuses the room: it suffuses the massage therapist too. People talk about massage therapists being caretakers, and I suppose we are: we like to look after people, and we’re easily moved to tenderness. But to let you in on a secret: I’m in it for the glow.
I’ll tell you what people look like, really: they look like flames. Or like the stars, on a clear night in the wilderness.
Mostly dead sterling in 15

Old 07-01-2014, 02:40 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,643,127 times
Wow....what I see in the mirror now is nothing like it was 20 years ago.lol.....Only my eyes haven't changed much. Just calmer now. That bit of wild streak that used to show in them is gone. Years of sun and cold and wind have polished me up a bunch. Ha! Doesn't bother me though. Its who I am.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:21 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,471,534 times
I don't know, for some funny reason, I'm always compelled to twist my body around, then something funny happens, a sound cues up, then it hits me, hits me, baby got back starts playing in my head.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:26 PM

20,767 posts, read 19,992,197 times
It usually makes me think of cleaning because of the tooth paste spots on it.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:37 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,594,158 times
At 50 I like what I see, I've made peace with myself...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty