Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are nice, broad-looking shoulders?
Pure bone-structure; wide chest, upper-back etc. 14 26.92%
Strong, powerful looking shoulder muscles, often making men look wider 8 15.38%
Various combinations of #1 and #2 27 51.92%
None of the above 3 5.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 04:01 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,839,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlb71 View Post
Perhaps you are attracted to the "rigid or firm" positioning because they seem confident.

That isn't to say that people who slouch aren't confident...
I suppose part of it is that, but part of it is familiarity with that kind of muscular strength and endurance needed to be able to hold that kind of posture... It feels very nice. A few years straight I didn't work out and I really missed having a strong back and "core"... Just like driving a car with "perfect" feeling seats, you'd never miss it if you never tried it, but once you try it the others don't feel as nice. So women who display this, I equate them being familiar with having similar levels of core strength and endurance. Many guys who lift serious amounts of weight erroniously (could end up hurting themselves) don't even spend much time on lower back or core

I know, and there are plenty of women I find attractive without great posture. Great posture and a strong, limber core (ie. ballet dancers, gymnists etc.) is just like icing on the cake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 04:28 PM

3,340 posts, read 2,832,217 times
Don't even get me started on improper form!! Why anyone would want to risk injury to impress is just beyond me!!

I work my core, am lucky to have great ab definition, but tend to slouch too much. I think it comes from being the same height since 6th grade and having those broad, broad shoulders. I do make a conscience effort not to, but am not always successful.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlb71 View Post
Don't even get me started on improper form!! Why anyone would want to risk injury to impress is just beyond me!!

I work my core, am lucky to have great ab definition, but tend to slouch too much. I think it comes from being the same height since 6th grade and having those broad, broad shoulders. I do make a conscience effort not to, but am not always successful.
Some of these guys don't realize they are either risking injury or limiting they potential by only focusing on a small amount of muscle groups. Most guys do carefully lift weights properly, but it's almost funny how a few will try so hard to build their upper back, chest and arms while ignoring that their lower back is what lifts all that extra lean mass (and what ever weights they're lifting) up.

Don't forget to do (or try) lower back excersizes. They are amazing at helping improve posture. Also great if you do a lot of gardening. After a good lower back workout I notice I'm sitting noticeably straighter and taller while driving. Sometimes it feels like I'm being artificially lifted up.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:23 AM

3,340 posts, read 2,832,217 times
I do work my lower back a couple of times a week using that thing(not sure of the name) where you lean on the pads and bend forward at the waist. Sometimes I add hand weights and do the superman thing( hands up and looking like a Y) to work the shoulders at the same time. I also use it to work my sides by turning sideways and holding a weight.
I do a pretty good job with posture at the gym to keep my form good, but forget about it during the day around the house.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:24 AM

660 posts, read 2,443,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I've heard this term used a fair bit before.

What is your opinion? (poll)

I always assumed it was meant a combination of broad upper body/bone structure and muscular shoulders.

A few years ago I noticed there are quite a few guys with very wide shoulders, thanks to bone structure but their shoulders themselves do not look particularly strong.

I've even seen one really skinny guy with wide shoulders (bone structure) but almost no muscle or fat. He looked more like a broad-chested "bone rack" than the "athletic/jock-type" that is more common with people of his dimensions.
i like big arms on a guy i was watching toby keith last night in an interview and his arms were so HUGE!!! very hott like him

Old 12-18-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_firefly View Post
i like big arms on a guy i was watching toby keith last night in an interview and his arms were so HUGE!!! very hott like him
I'm a fan of Toby's music. His fashion-style is kinda cool too.
Do you like any of his songs? I have a few favorites.

I never noticed Toby's arms actually...

Firefly, do you have any rough ideas of what measurements make an arm look big?

I read on a mall blood-pressure/heart rate machine that it is meant to measure "average sized adult arms," which I think was between 9-14 inches at the bicep. My arms used to be about 11.5 inches before I started working out, and now they're roughly 13.5 inches... My goal is to someday have 15-16 inch arms.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I'm a fan of Toby's music. His fashion-style is kinda cool too.
Do you like any of his songs? I have a few favorites.

I never noticed Toby's arms actually...

Firefly, do you have any rough ideas of what measurements make an arm look big?

I read on a mall blood-pressure/heart rate machine that it is meant to measure "average sized adult arms," which I think was between 9-14 inches at the bicep. My arms used to be about 11.5 inches before I started working out, and now they're roughly 13.5 inches... My goal is to someday have 15-16 inch arms.
i think hes an all around great guy,love his music and the way he sticks to his views and doesnt back downno matter what
dont know the measurments

Old 12-19-2007, 01:40 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,674,615 times
There is without question a feeling of "core" when you work out, especially that back. I feel as though I can put my chest out and keep my head level, otherwise it feels too much as though my head is "floating" and my neck wobbles or something.

Legs work the same way, when I work out my legs I can glide instead of simply "walking".

Old 12-19-2007, 03:09 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,475,812 times
If ever in doubt about perfect shoulders, fellas, feel free to reference this pic:
Attached Thumbnails
What are ideal or attractive "broad" shoulders?-dolphlundgren.jpg  

Old 12-19-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
If ever in doubt about perfect shoulders, fellas, feel free to reference this pic:
very nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty